Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Week 10 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

fumble and a fight :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

2mEk88Q.png

Goodnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ah feck, that would have tied the all time record for passing TDs in a half.

on peppers!!! there's cutlers fumble to surprise us!

I'm also sick of seeing the O throwing 3 and outs and INTs. Any chance of a fumble, Jay? Keep them guessing...

The man simply does not disappoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Billy86 wrote: »
    This is quote comfortably the most one sided game I have seen the Packers ever have in 12 odd years watching them. It's kind of sad at this point, and I'm honestly not saying that to take the piss out of the Bears.

The disappointing part is games like this will help Dom Capers keep his job into next season.

Don't worry, Bears fans are taking the piss out of the Bears at this point. Capers is still awful, but what can you say, results are results. For me the good point is that at this point there is no excuse for Mel Tucker to keep his job, even this week would be too late. And realistically, Trestman has to fall too. Emery is also responsible, so him too (never happen though). Cutler too, let's face it. And all bar Fuller and Ratliff, and maybe Willie Young on the D while we're at it. Many years of rebuilding are needed. I mean, what redemption can you have, even if we won every game for the rest of the year, the Packers are, along with playoffs and Superbowls, a sine qua non for all involved.

Oh and nice work Cutler, fumble too...

record tied and my 42-0 prediction comes through

Oh sweet holy hell Cobb, that is how to redeem yourself!

So Putin, you happy with Rodgers all time record tying 6 TDs in the first half or no? :p

record tied and my 42-0 prediction comes through
    With the hamstring my guess is that was Rodgers' last play of the game just to be safe (Collinsworth mentioned it a play or two beforehand also). Still, a slight shame wince it'd be cool to see him get 8, 9 or even 10 plus (the record is 7).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Thursday Green Bay Packers 16–36 Seattle Seahawks CenturyLink Field
    Sunday September 7 Indianapolis Colts 24–31 Denver Broncos Sports Authority Field at Mile High
    Sunday September 14 Chicago Bears 28–20 San Francisco 49ers Levi's Stadium
    Sunday September 21 Pittsburgh Steelers 37–19 Carolina Panthers Bank of America Stadium
    Sunday September 28 New Orleans Saints 17–38 Dallas Cowboys AT&T Stadium
    Sunday October 5 Cincinnati Bengals 17–43 New England Patriots Gillette Stadium
    Sunday October 12 New York Giants 0–27 Philadelphia Eagles Lincoln Financial Field
    Sunday October 19 San Francisco 49ers 17–42 Denver Broncos Sports Authority Field at Mile High
    Sunday October 26 Green Bay Packers 23–44 New Orleans Saints Mercedes-Benz Superdome
    Sunday November 2 Baltimore Ravens 23–43 Pittsburgh Steelers

Games on NBC this year, i'd say Dick Ebersol is delighted. Only 3 of them worth watching going into the 4th quarter.

• Advertisement

lbj666 wrote: »
    Thursday Green Bay Packers 16–36 Seattle Seahawks CenturyLink Field
    Sunday September 7 Indianapolis Colts 24–31 Denver Broncos Sports Authority Field at Mile High
    Sunday September 14 Chicago Bears 28–20 San Francisco 49ers Levi's Stadium
    Sunday September 21 Pittsburgh Steelers 37–19 Carolina Panthers Bank of America Stadium
    Sunday September 28 New Orleans Saints 17–38 Dallas Cowboys AT&T Stadium
    Sunday October 5 Cincinnati Bengals 17–43 New England Patriots Gillette Stadium
    Sunday October 12 New York Giants 0–27 Philadelphia Eagles Lincoln Financial Field
    Sunday October 19 San Francisco 49ers 17–42 Denver Broncos Sports Authority Field at Mile High
    Sunday October 26 Green Bay Packers 23–44 New Orleans Saints Mercedes-Benz Superdome
    Sunday November 2 Baltimore Ravens 23–43 Pittsburgh Steelers

Games on NBC this year, i'd say Dick Ebersol is delighted. Only 3 of them worth watching going into the 4th quarter.

I've been giving out about it all year. :P Particularly galling since this is the first time in years I've been stuck with only terrestrial TV. :P

another game where rodgers wont throw for 350 yards unlike luck #noteliteqb

another game where rodgers wont throw for 350 yards unlike luck #noteliteqb

Doesn't even have 25 pass attempts either.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Looks like it's going to be another game where he doesn't need to pass much in the second half, or go looking for a late
    comeback.

Just as well since he's not known for comebacks...:pac: Hopefully that will change when he retires. Because all the great sportsmen & woman from across the sporting spectrum, are remembered more for their victories in the face of defeats & when they overcame adversity and showed true warrior grit.
    Aaron Rodgers knows all about the numbers that suggest he has a hole in his game: leading comeback wins.
    http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2014/10/12/rodgers-showing-can-lead-comebacks/17171477/
    Judging by that article, it's something he's acutely aware of, hence the reason he was over the moon in the Dolphins game.

Doesn't even have 25 pass attempts either.

you just aint top level unless you throw monster volume with monster yardage. straight up trade for stafford i think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

The funny thing is NBC were only interested in one other Seahawks home game (against the 9ers) because they expected every game to be a blow out the dallas and denver games would have been great primetime games.

Games in foxboro, the superdome and mile high more often then not are one sided yet they keep going back there.

So Putin, you happy with Rodgers all time record tying 6 TDs in the first half or no? :p

Nope. I said he need to be a retard not to throw at least 8.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

The focus as always will be on Cutler, but this defense is the worst I have ever seen, by some margin at that

mayordenis wrote: »
    The focus as always will be on Cutler, but this defense is the worst I have ever seen, by some margin at that

the biggest beating in a half in Bears history. We have been setting a lot of the wrong records this year. This one is particularly horrifying, for it to happen against this of all teams.

• Advertisement

Putin wrote: »
    Just as well since he's not known for comebacks...:pac: Hopefully that will change when he retires. Because all the great sportsmen & woman from across the sporting spectrum, are remembered more for their victories in the face of defeats & when they overcame adversity and showed true warrior grit.

Judging by that article, it's something he's acutely aware of, hence the reason he was over the moon in the Dolphins game.
    You might want to look up the stars thread. He has 20 comebacks in I think the total of 40 games he has trailed in by the start of the fourth quarter. His defence have then cost the tie/lead 13 of those times on him including 9 times in OT or the last 40 seconds of the game. By comparison, Manning defences have only cost him in that scenario 9 times in the 60 odd he had comeback, and Brady only 6 in 37 if I recall correctly. There's 53 men on a team, remember.

Nope. I said he need to be a retard not to throw at least 8.

You're priceless at times. Tying the all time record isn't enough for you, but there's definitely no agenda here! :D

A punt block. Are we trying to get the full collection of balls ups that are possible in the game?

A punt block. Are we trying to get the full collection of balls ups that are possible in the game?

Fumbling a return and a safety are about all that are left at this point, it's nuts.

Fumbling a return and a safety are about all that are left at this point, it's nuts.

Plenty of time.

Nice work Marshall, at least him, Forte, Bennett, and Fuller still give a damn about the team.

• Advertisement

Would have liked the shut out but I'll take that. Any score wins me the over/GB bet now, and hopefully Lacy gets some more carries in the next few drives - need 27 more yards from him I think.

Just read a tweet that Chris Kluwe retweeted: "In honor of our American troops, the NFL proudly presents a smug overpowering force demolishing and killing a pathetic defenseless adversary"

Wasn a punt block. The kicker never made contact so it was a fumble lol

Wasn a punt block. The kicker never made contact so it was a fumble lol

Yeah I saw after that actually the Packers player was the only one who kicked it on the play...

EDIT: As an aside, Crosby is my kicker in FF, and he's racking up points, looks like I'll probably win this week despite having an IA receiver on my starting team. #everycloud

Hoping to see as much Jeff Janis (#83) as possible now, and Lacy to get 20 more damn yards (but I don't have a good feeling about it)!

Janis is a bit of a raw, inexperienced version of Jordy Nelson by most accounts, for anyone wondering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Old news at this stage but I'll stick it in the Week 10 thread

Titans tight end Delanie Walker got hammered by Ravens rookie free safety Terence Brooks earlier today.

Walker left the game and didn't return

DisguisedPerfumedGazelle.gif

You might want to look up the stars thread. He has 20 comebacks in I think the total of 40 games he has trailed in by the start of the fourth quarter. His defence have then cost the tie/lead 13 of those times on him including 9 times in OT or the last 40 seconds of the game. By comparison, Manning defences have only cost him in that scenario 9 times in the 60 odd he had comeback, and Brady only 6 in 37 if I recall correctly.

No offense, but since you admitted you mightn't be recalling correctly and for the purposes of simplification. I prefer to look at overall career comebacks listed on the likes of Pro-Football reference ect. Just looking at the the stats up to 2013. Rodgers is joint 140th on that list with 7. Manning's is 1st with 40 4th quarter wins, Brady is 4th with 31. But Brady more so than Manning, is known for more high pressure wins like his Super Bowl winning drives ect. My own Drew Brees is 12th which is a surprise. Because I really thought he would be around the 26th-27th mark.

Because all the great sportsmen & woman from across the sporting spectrum, are remembered more for their victories in the face of defeats & when they overcame adversity and showed true warrior grit.

With respect, what a load of inane nonsense.

The great sportsmen are remembered for simply being amongst the best at what they do.

By your reckoning, Usain Bolt isn't all that great, because he just eases to victory and hasn't really won in the face of defeat or presumably "showed true warrior grit"...whatever that particular inanity means.

Pick 6 on a screen pass.............

The problem with that TD is that it means our D have to come back out again.

No offense, but since you admitted you mightn't be recalling correctly and for the purposes of simplification. I prefer to look at overall career comebacks listed on the likes of Pro-Football reference ect. Just looking at the the stats up to 2013. Rodgers is joint 140th on that list with 7. Manning's is 1st with 40 4th quarter wins, Brady is 4th with 31. But Brady more so than Manning, is known for more high pressure wins like his Super Bowl winning drives ect. My own Drew Brees is 12th which is a surprise. Because I really thought he would be around the 26th-27th mark.

I did tell you to check the stays thread. Here are the exact figures... and just os you know, I sourced then from PFR. :)

I was also getting at fourth quarter comebacks being quite a meaningless stat to judge QBs alone on - for example, Rodgers has 32 regular season losses in games he has started (31 if you discount the Bears game where he got injured after 2 or 3 pass attempts)... in those games he has brought the score back to at least level 20 times in the fourth quarter, only for his defence to give up points right after again in 13 of them (65%), 10 of which were inside the 2 minute warning or OT and 9 of which were within the last 40 seconds or OT. To call Green Bay's defence over Rodgers' time starting depressing would be a massive, massive understatement.

By comparison, Manning has brought his team(s) back to either a tie score or a lead in the fourth quarter 51 times, and only on 11 of those have his defence cost them - 21.6% of the time. Brady has brought the Patriots back to either a tie score or a lead in the fourth quarter 37 times, and on only 6 of those occasions has his defence cost them - 16.2% of the time. They are both massive differences to Rodgers' defence costing the team 65% of the time when he has come back to get the lead or tie the game in the fourth quarter.

With respect, what a load of inane nonsense.

The great sportsmen are remembered for simply being amongst the best at what they do.

By your reckoning, Usain Bolt isn't all that great, because he just eases to victory and hasn't really won in the face of defeat or presumably "showed true warrior grit"...whatever that particular inanity means.
    Pretty sure Tiger Woods and Roger Federer are not all that good either by the same logic, or Jon Jones and Anderson Silva in the UFC.

it really is at best a silly stat to try and base so much importance on, especially one player in a 53-a-side sport.

The problem with that TD is that it means our D have to come back out again.

Also means I can wave bye bye to Lacy getting to 69 rushing yards. Still a net profit on the two bets but... hmph.

Pretty sure Tiger Woods and Roger Federer are not all that good either by the same logic, or Jon Jones and Anderson Silva in the UFC.

it really is at best a silly stat to try and base so much importance on, especially one player in a 53-a-side sport.

That Pele and Michael Schumacher, when did they ever show "warrior grit" or win in the face of defeat? Not real greats...

Also means I can wave bye bye to Lacy getting to 69 rushing yards. Still a net profit on the two bets but... hmph.

My heart bleeds for you! Marshall's injury (why on earth was he still playing? Another brilliant decision as it happens so we can add a completely stupid pointless injury to our best player to the long list of cock ups) will now probably end up costing him weeks. I should have gone to bed at nine o clock yesterday evening. But now it's fascinating and I have to watch to the end just to see what else can possibly go wrong.

• Advertisement

That Pele and Michael Schumacher, when did they ever show "warrior grit" or win in the face of defeat? Not real greats...

That Lionel Messi fella and the Barcelona team he played in, as well as Xavi and that Spanish team... just kind of meh really. Not enough comebacks or injury time winners in there at all.

But hey, Eli Manning is top 10 all time in fourth quarter comebacks with 26 (and I absolutely promise it has nothing to do with at times playing with fantastic defences) - he'll likely be top 5 or so by the time he retires. Jon Kitna is up there too with 18, and Cutler with 17. Clearly all the gritty types that legends are made of who you would prefer under center... real men. Grrrr.

My heart bleeds for you! Marshall's injury (why on earth was he still playing? Another brilliant decision as it happens so we can add a completely stupid pointless injury to our best player to the long list of cock ups) will now probably end up costing him weeks. I should have gone to bed at nine o clock yesterday evening. But now it's fascinating and I have to watch to the end just to see what else can possibly go wrong.
    I'm... sorry. :o

I actually don't have that big a dislike for the Bears (I save that for the Vikings :p), always loved their defences in the Urlacher era and I agree on Marshall - been a big fan of his since he was in Denver and his life story is pretty interesting. It's kind of sad to see the state they are in right now, certainly is going to be an interesting off season.

With respect, what a load of inane nonsense..

With all due respect.....................cop on. Don't be so ridiculous to even try and attempt to compare a sport like sprinting, an event that lasts 10 seconds, to an American football game and a 4th quarter comeback?

With all due respect.....................cop on. Don't be so ridiculous to even try and attempt to compare a sport like sprinting, an event that lasts 10 seconds, to an American football game and a 4th quarter comeback?

to try and say a qb may not be considered an all time great just because he kills the game off earlier is far more ridiculous to be honest. a 4th quarter comeback oftentimes means the offence didn't get going or turned the ball over earlier in the game thats a silly precedent for rating a qb.

That Lionel Messi fella and the Barcelona team he played in, as well as Xavi and that Spanish team... just kind of meh really. Not enough comebacks or injury time winners in there at all. .

You'd be better off comparing some of the great Man United teams Ferguson built and their capacity to come from behind & win in the dying minutes of games. The famous team of 1999 being the ideal example. One of the greatest Champions Leagues finals, simply because one team that never knew how to give up. A team that did it all season and then did it on the biggest stage. That would be the closest in soccer terms to a 4th quarter comeback win. Lost count of the amount of times commentators would say it last year after Ferguson retired. They'd say something like this - "What's happened to United? The great United teams never gave up, came from behind, scored in the 93rd minute and won games."

But hey, Eli Manning is top 10 all time in fourth quarter comebacks with 26 (and I absolutely promise it has nothing to do with at times playing with fantastic defences) - he'll likely be top 5 or so by the time he retires. Jon Kitna is up there too with 18, and Cutler with 17. Clearly all the gritty types that legends are made of who you would prefer under center... real men. Grrrr.

Well that must be pretty embarrassing then? Because I never knew Eli is way ahead of Rodgers in the comeback win stakes. Somehow, if the shoe was on the other foot and Eli was your QB. I've absolutely no doubt you'd be banging on about Eli having more rings than Rodgers.

Read this again....
    Because all the great sportsmen & woman from across the sporting spectrum

Manning and Cutler are not great QBs and well you know it. And Their amazing ability to turn the ball over is a big reason for it. And I don't think Giants fans or Bears fans would disagree with that. Having a great spell of play doesn't not qualify you for the great category. Flacco went on a fantastic run his SB winning year. But he certainly wouldn't be categorised as great. Why? because of the inconsistency since

I did tell you to check the stays thread. Here are the exact figures... and just os you know,.

Speaking off the stats thread. One of the lads put up a stat that Rodgers is 0 wins from 21 when he's losing by 9 points or more. Now that's pretty bad.
    I sourced then from PFR. :) .

So where's the link then? I provided you with a direct link in my earlier post when I spoke about stats. Can you not do the same?

I was also getting at fourth quarter comebacks being quite a meaningless stat to judge QBs alone on - for example, Rodgers has 32 regular season losses in games he has started (31 if you discount the Bears game where he got injured after 2 or 3 pass attempts)... in those games he has brought the score back to at least level 20 times in the fourth quarter, only for his defence to give up points right after again in 13 of them (65%), 10 of which were inside the 2 minute warning or OT and 9 of which were within the last 40 seconds or OT. To call Green Bay's defence over Rodgers' time starting depressing would be a massive, massive understatement.

Where are the links & evidence for this. Your like a politician who won't give a straight answer and who doesn't provide any evidence.

Look I'll make it ease for you, just look at this list titled - NFL Career Fourth Quarter Comeback Leaders

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_career.htm

I even posted you a link from a Packers site earlier and the first sentence of the article said this - Aaron Rodgers knows all about the numbers that suggest he has a hole in his game: leading comeback wins.
    http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...acks/17171477/

Now that's from Packers News, they've highlighted holes in his numbers and his ability to lead comeback wins. So care to take the head out of the sand and acknowledge it?

You have a bad habit of talking about stats and having nothing to back up what you're talking about. Don't you know that doesn't wash when you talk about American Football? I gave you a link when I talked about stats. But you haven't the courtesy to return the favour. And I've seen you doing this before with other posters so I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

0 wins from 21 games when behind by 9 or more points does not sound great. However, I'm not entirely sure you can put that all on Rodgers.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2014/10/17/6995845/debunking-criticism-packers-aaron-rodgers-clutch-comebacks

It really shouldn't be 21 in the first place as 4 games where he didn't actually start are counted. Also, the fact that they are down by more than one score means that it's not something that only he can control. The Packers have to score and then either stop the other team or recover an onside kick, and then score again, without letting the other team score afterwards. So, Rodgers can help them score two touchdowns when behind by 2 or more scores and still lose if the defence doesn't stop the other team. Why should that be counted against him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

So, to me it looks like the Jets QB drops the ball yet no-one went to pick it? Any rules guys out there care to explain? Steelers could have had a TD - one guy runs past the ball to join the hand bag battle. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000425503/article/jets-nick-mangold-flips-mike-mitchell-on-dirty-play

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Once Vick's knee hit the ground the play was over, as he had given himself up. So it doesn't matter what happens afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

D'oh didn't see the knee hitting first time around.

Advertisement