Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

obese (19stone)...on anti-d's & ttc

Options
  • 05-11-2014 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Im 32 ttc and as stated above 19 stone and on anti-depressants (10mg tablets) and tryin ti lose weight. Ttc for 2 mths. Mate told me because of all of this it will take me yrs to get pregnant. :( has anyone any stories to suggest this is true :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Im 32 ttc and as stated above 19 stone and on anti-depressants (10mg tablets) and tryin ti lose weight. Ttc for 2 mths. Mate told me because of all of this it will take me yrs to get pregnant. :( has anyone any stories to suggest this is true :(

Unfortunately I have no answers for you but Have you checked with your GP that it is ok to try for a baby while on your specific antidepressant? Some antidepressants are contraindicated in pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 babydreams82

Type tablet I am on and the mg of same the doc said all was ok. It was my my friwnd and my weight issue now that has me worried. Im tryin to lose weight.... im just worried ttc will nvr happen. Plz tell someone out there has had a baby at my weight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Well, statistically, you are less likely to concieve when very overweight, and when very underweight. But that's not to say it won't happen for you! If you have regular cycles and know you are ovulating, then that's a good sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I would iterate what Pwurple has said. No one will be able to give you definite figures in months/years. And it could possibly happen quickly for you if you are ovulating regularly etc and you are at a good age. Also it could possibly take longer if you look at the statistics....

If it helps I know a lady (your age) who was very overweight and "accidentally" got pregnant just before her wedding! And she's just had her second baby a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Maybe not helpful....

Have you thought about losing the weight before having a baby. Babies take up a whole lot of energy. As does getting in shape. Would it not be better to get things sorted re the weight and meds before taking on this huge life task?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'm very similar in size. The most important thing for trying to conceive is the regularity of your cycle and ovulation. I got pregnant in one week!! But I know that statistically that's not likely.

A few things to do:

1. Try and make sure you are eating healthily. Note I don't say dieting. If you are on anti depressants it's for a good reason and it's probable that scale watching is not going to be a good idea. Focus on one habit at a time. Am I eating a good breakfast (I switched to porridge), a good lunch (something as simple as even when buying a sandwich three veg with meat rather than coleslaw etc and no crisps) and a simple dinner (preferably home made, it doesn't need to be fancy). That alone can make a huge difference.

2. Start tracking your cycle. There a lots of ways to do this. Get an app for your Phone and start logging you periods and lengths. You could also look into cervical mucus (never successful for me), basal temperature and ovulation strips (did use these). Get informed. Even in the prime of health with everything working for you the odds of getting pregnant in one month are statistically crap. At least if you are aware of that it's a little less daunting.

3. Check with your doc first but start a prenatal vit immediately, preferably one with both iron and folic acid. This turned out to be really important for me because I couldn't stomach them during first trimester but both folic acid and iron were high enough to carry me through even when I couldn't keep them down

4. Concentrate on your own mental health. It can be easy to get down if it takes time to get pregnant. Remember that 75% of couples will get pregnant within a year. Have a think about that, it's pretty poor odds. If walking helps you then definitely try and get out and about it can really help your mood. Finally talk about it, with your partner if you can, family if you want too and online if you don't want to talk to people in person. I recommend both boards and reddit babybumps as being very level headed groups of people where you are unlikely to be judged for even the silliest of questions! Just remember that armchair warriors appear on every site from time to time and don't take anything too personally.

If yout have any questions feel free to ask, it's a very exciting time so try and enjoy it!!

Thank you so much for your lovely reply mirrorwall. Very helpful information and I greatly appreciate it.

Fingers crossed anyhow and im moving in the right direction.

Due my period nxt thursday and this morn I felt really sick, sensitive to smell and awful heart burn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Thank you so much for your lovely reply mirrorwall. Very helpful information and I greatly appreciate it.

Fingers crossed anyhow and im moving in the right direction.

Due my period nxt thursday and this morn I felt really sick, sensitive to smell and awful heart burn.

Fingers crossed indeed. The one thing I will also say is try not to test too soon in a month, it will just lead to disappointment. Testing before 12 DPO is probably going to result in a negative even if you are on the way to vein pregnant!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Have you thought about exercise? For a few reasons.. It will greatly improve your weight loss efforts and its well known to improve mood and self esteem and confidence. Its a great way to boost energy levels and have such a positive effect on pregnancy as with obesity comes the added risk of gestational diabetes and other complications. You want to give yourself and your baby the best chance.
    Speak to your GP about it as there are some gyms who have a medical plans and will work with your GP to work out specific diet and exercise plans.
    Its from experience that I can say this as I lost over 4 stone 2 years ago and have kept it off with the help of a diet and a great gym plan. The support that you need when you're taking on losing weight is huge.
    I wish you the best of luck with your efforts to both lose weight and have a baby and the people in here are a great source of advice and support!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dustie1

Dont despair at all... I got pregnant when heavier than you and have a fab 5month old LO now. I came off pill to loose weight with a view to TTC in 6months. Had been told by GP it should take at least that long for my cycles to restart (didnt get periods with the pill I was on). Ended up pregnant within 3 weeks. Pregnancy was smooth til 30wks when I had high blood pressure problems. However I have a v strong family history of BP problems in pregnancy so not necessarily all weight related.

Obviously any weight you loose will help you but keep positive and best of luck.

• Advertisement

Thank you to everyone for reply. Very helpful. Yrs I am exercising

Just a quick qt please. Im due period thu morn and since this morn ive a pain in my right hand side...dull pain that comes and goes and pain in my lower back at the tail bone ...again a dull pain.... funny headaches and just feel so wrecked. Has anyone experienved this conin up to period? Any help would be great.

Advertisement