Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Solicitor

Options
  • 05-11-2014 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Could someone recommend a good solicitor in Waterford? I'm hoping to buy my first house and I will need a good solicitor to sort things.

Basically looking for someone who is good and won't rip me off

Any names or experience would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭littlecat

Highly recommend Kim Long in Mayor's Walk. I bought my house with her two years ago and I was completely clueless - she sorted everything for me, knew about bank side of things etc, would have been lost without her. Rate was very reasonable and she even offered to stay late on the day she got the keys so I could collect them after a physio appt!
    Good luck with it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭M25

Thanks Littlecat! Will give her a shout when we have found a house. Such a scary thing buying! :) Don't really know what we are doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Used Sharon Deveraux in MW Kellehers. Had rung around about 8 of them looking for lowest price and they were the best. At the end of the day it's a straight forward transaction they have all done dozens of times so my advice would be go for best price. Any of them can do it. Don't be afraid to haggle with them either. All were open to this.

Thanks Thomasm! Could I ask a quick question? When we have a house in mind and the offer is accepted. We then go to the bank to get the mortgage to draw down then go to the solicitor to do up the contracts?

Would that be correct? :)

M25 wrote: »
    Thanks Thomasm! Could I ask a quick question? When we have a house in mind and the offer is accepted. We then go to the bank to get the mortgage to draw down then go to the solicitor to do up the contracts?

Would that be correct? :)

I went to Kim when I had agreed a price with the house owner (private sale); had mortgage approved a few months before. Threw myself on her mercy and she did everything; I'm nearly sure she was involved in dealings with bank too? As said above, they'll all have done it many times and should be able to walk you through it.
    Don't go without a recommendation though, the solicitor on the owner's side was extremely slow and is apparently notorious for being so!

• Advertisement

Thanks Littlecat! Application has gone in with broker. Should hear back around Monday but going to see a house on Saturday that looks really nice.

Not sure if really like it to offer asking price? Its with an EA would you recommend bidding lower if you like it?

Thanks Littlecat! Application has gone in with broker. Should hear back around Monday but going to see a house on Saturday that looks really nice.

Not sure if really like it to offer asking price? Its with an EA would you recommend bidding lower if you like it?

Oh God, I'm a total amateur to be giving that kind of advice! Personally I went a bit above what the house was valued at as for family reasons it was worth it to me, but it was less than the owner had originally asked for. Hopefully someone else here with more experience can help you on that one!

No problem at all Littlecat! :) Thank you for all your help :) Rea;;y appreciated it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

+1 for Kim, didn't have a clue and went to her on a recommendation of the sellers agent after the offer was accepted. She done everything. As for the price, the house i got was looking for €199k, i initially offered €160, just to test the water. When the agent got back to me, she was very honest and said they wouldn't let it go for less than €185k. So i offered €180k, and we came to an agreement on €182.5k. But they were in a rush to sell, so that could be why. And the offer was made at the end of October, moved in the start of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

I am presuming this is in waterford. I would advise going under the asking price but that depends on who estate agents are . I have bought recently after nearly a year looking so know prices and there are some very overpriced houses at the minute so I would advise some research . Have a look at the property price register for your area and go from there . Also no estate agent will take a offer till you have mortgage approval . Go to the viewing and wait and see till Monday the consider a offer . Be well prepared . At the minute after a huge surge mid year waterford market is moving but it's slow .

• Advertisement
Advertisement