Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial law

• 05-11-2014 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

can someone please help me in relation to what section of law applies when the seller goes into liquidation after the buyer has paid for the goods and it's due to be delivered?
    what is the main case law?
    thanks aloy

Comments

Glitt_123 wrote: »
    can someone please help me in relation to what section of law applies when the seller goes into liquidation after the buyer has paid for the goods and it's due to be delivered?
    thanks aloy

Company law mostly. Some elements of contract.

With the little info you've given it's likely the seller is an unsecured creditor who would be entitled to little/nothing whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

+1 on above but I think Kayroo meant to say buyer, although what he says is also correct in terms of an intermediary. OP from what you've said the buyer in your case would be essentially screwed. If the buyer has used a credit/debit card (ideally a credit card) get onto the bank immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

In any liquidation unsecured creditors are paid last. Unless its anglo irish bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭cobhguy28

It will count what you paid for. If you went in and asked for something general like a tv/couch and they said they would get one from the warehouse and have it delivered then you an unsecured creditor However if you went in and physically picked out something on display in the shop like the showroom couch/tv and are just waiting on delivery then that couch is your and you can pick it up and take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

cobhguy28 wrote: »
    It will count what you paid for. If you went in and asked for something general like a tv/couch and they said they would get one from the warehouse and have it delivered then you an unsecured creditor However if you went in and physically picked out something on display in the shop like the showroom couch/tv and are just waiting on delivery then that couch is your and you can pick it up and take it.

The only issue with that (and a source would be great - I don't doubt you but it's useful info to have and I'd like to be able to substantiate it) is liquidators are immune from legal action for causing the company to breach contract. So while they may be under a legal obligation to hand over the TV/couch - if they chose not to you've no means of enforcement. You're now rightly going to ask me for a source and I'll have to look up my company law notes. :D

• Advertisement

The only issue with that (and a source would be great - I don't doubt you but it's useful info to have and I'd like to be able to substantiate it) is liquidators are immune from legal action for causing the company to breach contract. So while they may be under a legal obligation to hand over the TV/couch - if they chose not to you've no means of enforcement. You're now rightly going to ask me for a source and I'll have to look up my company law notes. :D

I will look for a source but am at work now. Its got to do with the fact that the contract is complete and you are the owner of the goods the store is minding them untill delivery date.

Glitt_123 wrote: »
    thanks aloy

Sale of goods act 1893

Part II.

Effects of the Contract.

Transfer of Property as between Seller and Buyer.

Clarke v Michael Reilly & Sons (1962) 96 ILTR 96.

cobhguy28 wrote: »
    I will look for a source but am at work now. Its got to do with the fact that the contract is complete and you are the owner of the goods the store is minding them untill delivery date.

lawreform.ie/_fileupload/RevisedActs/WithAnnotations/EN_ACT_1893_0071.PDF

Sction 18 gives rules

Advertisement