Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

resume vs cv

Options
  • 05-11-2014 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭

What Is the difference between these two.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Nothing. Americans refer to a CV as a Resume. There are some differences in how they are formatted, the amount of information that each one typically gives & the layout, but they are essentially the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

What ProudDub said.
    Resume's are usually shorter than cvs btw- one page for people in their twenties, an absolute max of two pages for those with a lot of experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

silja wrote: »
    What ProudDub said.
    Resume's are usually shorter than cvs btw- one page for people in their twenties, an absolute max of two pages for those with a lot of experience.

A 6 page Resume once landed on my desk. I got through the first 2...then binned it.

I am 30 and have a 1.5 page resume, no skills listed....it is assumed I know I how to use a computer, office suite and have multi tasking skills (Even as a guy!)

All I have is work experience, and even then....only relevant experience - they don't want to know about my college bar working job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Agreed.
    I also add my nationality and, before I had US citizenship, that I was a greencard holder allowed to work for any employer, just because all my work experience was Irish (spent the first few years in the US as a SAHM), and I wanted to make it clear up front they wouldn't need to sponsor me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

CV arrived in last week from a recent university graduate and she was just little Miss Perfect.

CV was highly imprerssive. She makes Mary Poppins look like a lazy bum.

Totally unsuited for the job and had no experience or qualifications whatsoever for the rather specific accounting role we had.

But the 3 page covering letter was..well....TBH didnt even read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's the same really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

TBH didnt even read it.

I don't understand this culture. I was at an interview earlier. I had a long CV after trying out a short CV I said sure phek it I will go do a long CV detailing everything.

At the interview the person commented on such a long CV I had. Now I agreed with him, it was long. But my reasons for it been long, which I didn't go into it with him where because, at interviews you get asked about experience or what has happened in your life or roles? It's literally all detailed on the pages such you decide to read it, you could have points ready to discuss.

I think the days of the idea of CV's containing one page are over too be competitive in this climate of unemployment I think your CV needs if anything to be long. It shows effort and explanation behind what you are saying on it. Looking for generic terms on a CV to fill the role just kind of seems lazy to me. If I was a business owner, I would be looking at the CV's that are going into detail about things. It makes me question what they know and would I find them suitable.

Or maybe I am mad? In the day and age of computers and typing, surely a CV 2/3 pages should be seen as something of an achievement. Full use of a computer, Google and if you manage to come up with a 1 page CV. I mean like that just seems lazy to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

TallGlass wrote: »
    I don't understand this culture. I was at an interview earlier. I had a long CV after trying out a short CV I said sure phek it I will go do a long CV detailing everything.

At the interview the person commented on such a long CV I had. Now I agreed with him, it was long. But my reasons for it been long, which I didn't go into it with him where because, at interviews you get asked about experience or what has happened in your life or roles? It's literally all detailed on the pages such you decide to read it, you could have points ready to discuss.

I think the days of the idea of CV's containing one page are over too be competitive in this climate of unemployment I think your CV needs if anything to be long. It shows effort and explanation behind what you are saying on it. Looking for generic terms on a CV to fill the role just kind of seems lazy to me. If I was a business owner, I would be looking at the CV's that are going into detail about things. It makes me question what they know and would I find them suitable.

Or maybe I am mad? In the day and age of computers and typing, surely a CV 2/3 pages should be seen as something of an achievement. Full use of a computer, Google and if you manage to come up with a 1 page CV. I mean like that just seems lazy to me?

1 page is a bit short. 2 pages is the sweet spot as it is all one 1 sheet of paper and can be read through quickly. They don't want to spend ages looking at it.

Ok I only speak from own perspective and as someone who looks at cvs as we are recruiting. Believe me it wasn't so long ago I was in front of a screen trying to cut down my cv for job applications.

It's easy to fall into the 'kitchen sink' approach i.e. just throw everything in 'just in case' and not wanting to leave anything out that maybe important. Like exams answers- we have all done it.

I really have not got the time to read 2/3 page cvs or long covering letters.A brief covering letter is sufficient. Otherwise it can look like desperate waffle with the usual buzz words and insincere platitudes about how great we are blah blah blah.

I will scan for the relevant details and what I am looking for will immediately jump out. I don't need long paragraphs about the intricate details of what you did. If you worked in a particular role with a particular business, I pretty much know what you did without needing to read it in great detail.

For example, you really don't need to list out your past times. We don't care that you love reading and walking the dog or what subjects you did for leaving certificate (now that is specific for each role)

It can be broken into the following points:-

1. Does the candidate have the qualifications and work experience? That can be easily gleamed from a few short bullet points- not 2-3 pages.

If you tick the fundamental boxes then move on.

2. The interview will then determine your personality and then you can flesh out your answers. Anyone can bull**** on papers.

That does not need 2-3 pages. Some of the best and most qualified cv and people I have seen had the shortest cv. That is not a bad thing. They were clear and concise. We like that.

I know what I am looking for and I will find it in 1-2 pages. Hell even 1 page.

The main thing is to be sharp, to the point and RELEVANT. Trust me, bulking your cv into 2-3 pages will not set you apart from the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You have to look at it from the interviewers point of view. If they work in HR for a large company, or do a lot of interviewing & hiring in general, they could be looking at 100-200 CV's per job. If everyone decided to write a 6 page book, that would get old in a hurry. Hiring managers just don't have the time to be reading all that stuff. It's great that in your case it worked out, but a lot of long CV's would just go in the bin.

I agree that for 40 year old person, with a lot of experience and qualifications, a one page CV may not be enough. But once you go past 2 pages, you start to get into the realm of padding and waffling. Interviewers can see through all that in a heartbeat. A CV is meant to outline your own education, professional achievements and experience a succinct manner. You shouldn't need to be going on Google to do that. If you are, you getting into the realms of waffle imo.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You have to look at it from the interviewers point of view. If they work in HR for a large company, or do a lot of interviewing & hiring in general, they could be looking at 100-200 CV's per job. If everyone decided to write a 6 page book, that would get old in a hurry. Hiring managers just don't have the time to be reading all that. It's great that in your case it worked out, but a lot of long CV's would just go in the bin.

I agree that for 40 year old person, with a lot of experience and qualifications, a one page CV may not be enough. But once you go past 2 pages, you start to get into the realm of padding and waffling. Interviewers can see through all that in a heartbeat. A CV is meant to outline your own education, professional achievements and experience a succinct manner. You shouldn't need to be going on Google to do that. If you are, you getting into the realms of waffle imo.

100%

Funnily enough, I have found the more experienced and older the candidate the shorter the cv. I put this down to mastering the art of the cv and knowing how to construct it properly along the line I mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ok I only speak from own perspective and as someone who looks at cvs as we are recruiting. Believe me it wasn't so long ago I was in front of a screen trying to cut down my cv for job applications.
    Any point in handing in a short CV, and a long CV? Short CV being list of jobs, when and where, with the long CV listing the technologies that you used? Coming from an IT support view.

Or alternatively only a short CV which includes a link to linkedin (which would include everything more detailed)? Current CV has my DOB, mobile, my email, the short linkedin URL to my page, followed by the rest of the CV. Always using the .doc format, as everything opens it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

As somebody else who has reviewed CVs and been involved in the hiring process for two American companies in their IT departments. I actually prefer a longer CV. But be warned, if you make it long by putting fluff in it, it's your own downfall.

One thing that can be said for a short CV is the fact that most applicants will provide a short CV..so it won't look bad on you but you'll need to standout amongst other short CV's. But at the same time, I've decided to interview people with short CVs based on one or two things I read...just wanting to talk to them to see what else they might know about. So it can be good and bad. As for the not having time for more than 2 or 3 pages....I tend to make the time..eventually :) If you want to hire the best candidate, you need to invest some time.

I don't like Executive Summarys on CVs...it's so impersonal and vague, in most cases. In the US, management seems to want to know if you're Single or Married too...along with your age.

If I see a person has changed jobs every year, I get a little worried. If the person has changed jobs a lot but has previous jobs in which they were there for a number of years. I'm less worried but tend to ask for reasons why they left each one of the short jobs. Be they contract positions or not.

Many employers over here now will not give a reference. Instead you call the previous employers and they will simply confirm that the person worked there and from what month, to what month...this is due to legal issues in some states.

Also, according to somebody I worked with. Although the Americans use the term Resume in a blanket fashion. I was told a Resume is a short form CV, where as a CV would be more long form....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Wompa1 wrote: »
    In the US, management seems to want to know if you're Single or Married too...along with your age.

The single/married question is dangerous ground for an interviewer. Could give a potential employee a case for discrimination in the event of non-selection.

As someone who interviews candidates, I stay away from it. Yet, by interview's end, I usually know the answer. Not that I care*.

* Although being married has the potential to increase our employer costs for that employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

LinkedIn is very useful for putting one together and for hosting the resume.

I have a webpage for my resume now so I have links between that and my linkedin page.

It gets more and more complex, I finally figured out enough of Wordpress to put together a reasonably modern looking webpage at my own domain and someone asked me whether I was going to do a mobile version. argh.

Advertisement