Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Headphones - what are my rights?

Options
  • 06-11-2014 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭

Hey, I bought headphones in HMV just last week and when I was taking them off tonight they snapped right in the middle. Not the biggest deal I know but I'm obviously a bit annoyed since they're only a week old. Would I have any chance of getting a refund from the shop, or would I need to get in touch with the manufacturer? Any advice appreciated, cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What type of headphones? I know I've managed to wreck earbuds yanking them off, but the likes of the over the ear things that people wear would be harder to break?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Stheno wrote: »
    What type of headphones? I know I've managed to wreck earbuds yanking them off, but the likes of the over the ear things that people wear would be harder to break?

The kind that go right over your head, it snapped right in the middle of the ehh...over head part. I'm not sure what it's called :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The kind that go right over your head, it snapped right in the middle of the ehh...over head part. I'm not sure what it's called :pac:

That's a toughie, I'd get in touch with where you bought them tbh as a first port of call

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Stheno wrote: »
    That's a toughie, I'd get in touch with where you bought them tbh as a first port of call

Yeah planning to tomorrow, just trying to get an idea of whether or not they're entitled to tell me to get lost or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Sale of goods and services act, 1980

Consumer rights overview

You would probably have a reasonable expectation that they would last for more than a week under normal usage.

If they give you crap and tell you to get lost you have the option of taking them to the small claims court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,052 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Retailer is who your contract is with and at this short a juncture from the sale I can't see them being awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

If they think you have been heavy handed they may not refund. If they have sold lots of the item and no one else has had that problem I can't see them taking it back.

Advertisement