Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did the Simpsons stop being good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I think part of the problem is that the celebrity guests are portrayed in a higly flattering light now, whereas in older episodes they were often self-deprecating.

yeah, the older episodes didn't pander to the guests

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

It became crap from the Sherry Bobbins episode onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

mojesius wrote: »
    It became crap from the Sherry Bobbins episode onwards.

Although that is by far the worst episode (I don't mind if I never see it again) of what is an otherwise brilliant 8th season , there were loads of episodes that came after it that were classics so it wasn't the turning point imo more an example of what the show would be become.The sherry bobbins episode is like an episode form the 12th season that is stuck in the 8th season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Although that is by far the worst episode (I don't mind if I never see it again) of what is an otherwise brilliant 8th season , there were loads of episodes that came after it that were classics so it wasn't the turning point imo more an example of what the show would be become.The sherry bobbins episode is like an episode form the 12th season that is stuck in the 8th season.

I dunno though, the ending made me nearly collapse with laughter the first time I saw it.

"Will we ever see Sherry Bobbins again?"
    "I'm sure we will honey..." [Sherry Bobbins gets sucked into a plane engine] "...I'm sure we will"

The crossover with Futurama was on tonight in America. I still watch most episodes out of habit and because it doesn't take long. Tonight was a perfect example of just how banal it's gotten. There's nothing offensively bad in it, it's just nothing. The 20 minutes absolutely flies by with one or two obvious nods or references. I don't recall breaking into a smile at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

"Top of the line in utility sports, unexplained fires are a matter for the courts"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I dunno though, the ending made me nearly collapse with laughter the first time I saw it.

"Will we ever see Sherry Bobbins again?"
    "I'm sure we will honey..." [Sherry Bobbins gets sucked into a plane engine] "...I'm sure we will"

That was a great joke but the rest of it was medicore in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Bhopkov

The sherry bobbins episode was when they began making it completely unrealistic. Flying with an umbrella is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Bhopkov wrote: »
    The sherry bobbins episode was when they began making it completely unrealistic. Flying with an umbrella is just ridiculous.

So you want a realistic down-to-earth show that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I think I would be correct in saying that the ratio of good to bad episode in the Simpsons catelougue is not beyond 1 good to 1 bad, the last 5 seasons seem like complete muck, its more than likely that you could be looking at a show with only 40% of its stuff classed as good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Whenever people refer to an episode by it's name/title (e.g. The Principle and the Pauper), I usually always have to wiki/google it but even just a quote or a few word summary of a scene from the ep and I know exactly what ep it is. I can't be the only one that thinks like this!?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,915 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Been watching the Mr Plow episode on Sky. It really was an amazing show. So utterly depressing to see what it's become :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I always went along with the general consensus that it's golden era was anywhere around seasons 4-10.

Until a few months ago I rewatched seasons 7-10 and felt it hadn't really stood the test of time too well and paled in comparison to SouthPark.

Then recently over Christmas Channel 4 started showing the much older episodes and I can safely say that the Simpsons stopped being good right around the death of Dr Marvin Monroe in season 7 and the golden era was seasons 2-6 imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭obriendj

K4t wrote: »
    I always went along with the general consensus that it's golden era was anywhere around seasons 4-10.

Until a few months ago I rewatched seasons 7-10 and felt it hadn't really stood the test of time too well and paled in comparison to SouthPark.

Then recently over Christmas Channel 4 started showing the much older episodes and I can safely say that the Simpsons stopped being good right around the death of Dr Marvin Monroe in season 7 and the golden era was seasons 2-6 imho.

Troy McClure: "What popular Simpson's characters have died in the past year?",

Troy McClure: "If you said Bleeding Gums Murphy and doctor Marvin Monroe you are wrong, they were never popular."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Always felt Troy Mclure was slightly overrated tbh. Preferred the subtle humour which many of the other characters exhibited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It fell off right around the time Matt Groening began to put his focus on Futurama, which has gone on to be absolutely brilliant in it's own right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Sometime during Season 9. Hate when people say "Yeah but it's still way better than most things on TV. Nope, no it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Season 7 was the last great season, every episode is worth watching. Season 8 had some good episodes but some awful ones too. That's where it started to get shaky and go downhill.

To answer the original question, it stopped being good in 1996. The bad episodes of The Simpsons far outweigh the good ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

When Phil Hartman died.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

You know how people moan about the Late Late Show, how it is nothing compared to the earlier ground breaking show that it was under Gaybo and his team? Had it ended when Gaybo left then it would be heralded as a fantastic show. However, it has trudged on through the years and is a shadow of the show it once was. The only reason for it's continuing is simply that it is a serious cash cow for RTE. The very same reason the Simpsons lurches through season after season on Fox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    When Phil Hartman died.

Joe Rogan got really emotional talking about his wife murdering him on a podcast called The Nerdist a while back since they were both on that NewsRadio sitcom together (class podcast by the way), Phil Hartman was absolutely hilarious. Still love this sketch...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

When did it all go wrong?

Round about when it stopped making the sensitive jokes and started giving more airtime to Lisa's stupid ****ing moral dilemma episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Round about when it stopped making the sensitive jokes and started giving more airtime to Lisa's stupid ****ing moral dilemma episodes.

No that's not it - it was when Homer became "Jerkass Homer".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Earlgreyhot

After the episode where Homer went to New York to collect his car it became absolute sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

valoren wrote: »
    You know how people moan about the Late Late Show, how it is nothing compared to the earlier ground breaking show that it was under Gaybo and his team? Had it ended when Gaybo left then it would be heralded as a fantastic show. However, it has trudged on through the years and is a shadow of the show it once was. The only reason for it's continuing is simply that it is a serious cash cow for RTE. The very same reason the Simpsons lurches through season after season on Fox.
    In fairness to Tubs et al, during Gaybo's time at the LLS, Ireland was incredibly backward and under the thumb of the church. I mean, they used to have long debates about condoms and sex and stuff, and you'd have priests and ultra conservative biddies and aul lads getting red-faced with anger as they spewed their nonsense.

Thankfully Ireland is a little more open these days, so we don't need 'ground breaking' debates about whether divorce and contraception is against God's will and will rip apart our society!

Back on point. I suppose around season 9 it started showing signs of it being a little iffy. But it's hard to pinpoint, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

MBB is saucy seaside postcard / tabloid humour that many British and Irish seem to like, hence the ratings.
    Like Marmite, you either love it or hate it.

I'd maintain the argument that people who watch MBB are morons.

you guys are so wrong I am watching season 14 on dvd and its very funny and the latest episode from season 26 The Man to came to Dinner was hilarious also pulling in 10 million viewers

But American Dad is my #1 show

you guys are so wrong I am watching season 14 on dvd and its very funny and the latest episode from season 26 The Man to came to Dinner was hilarious also pulling in 10 million viewers

But American Dad is my #1 show

Cant-tell-if-serious-.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

People complain about shows like How I Met Your Mother, Friends, and now the Big Bang Theory because they went on a few seasons too long. However, what's happening with the Simpsons is farcical. It's just populated with stupid story-lines and pointless celebrity cameos and the characters are completely unrelatable unlike how they once were.

Even Matt Groening has wanted the show cancelled for ages

http://dailycurrant.com/2013/09/29/simpsons-creator-thinks-show-should-end/

• Advertisement

thelad95 wrote: »
    People complain about shows like How I Met Your Mother, Friends, and now the Big Bang Theory because they went on a few seasons too long. However, what's happening with the Simpsons is farcical. It's just populated with stupid story-lines and pointless celebrity cameos and the characters are completely unrelatable unlike how they once were.

Even Matt Groening has wanted the show cancelled for ages

http://dailycurrant.com/2013/09/29/simpsons-creator-thinks-show-should-end/

That is the best indictment of the show you could ask for, it's so unapologetically honest about the whole fiasco. I liked this quote:

"I did see the episode where it was in the '90s, and Homer fronts this Nirvana-type band. God, those were awful. I hope someone got fired over that."

Sums it up pretty well. He's also right about Family Guy. I hadn't realised MacFarlane was tired of that show, but he really should be. I remember loving Family Guy because it was so completely anarchic, the weird plot/gags approach that South Park skewered so well actually worked brilliantly in that it had its own off-beat rhythm and could catch you off guard every couple of minutes. The cheap animation kind of lent itself to that as well. Once after a major operation I was watching it and had to turn the TV off because the laughter was so painful and I was quite literally at risk of splitting my side. No fear of that now. Both shows are gone to **** and the cross over episode (which I haven't watched) is a symptom of the complacency of them both.

Futurama was funny right to the end (I didn't like the Bender's big Score etc etc ones, or the Lord of the Rings thing, but the Comedy Central episodes were fantastic because they were able to do things Fox wouldn't). But I'm just glad it ended. Otherwise...well, we know what happens otherwise don't we?

Advertisement