Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 2015

Options
  • 06-11-2014 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭

I was thinking that if we have a thread for next year's Boston showpiece, we can have one for Connemara. Ok I know there's one relating to the new RD, but that has been locked in any event.

Anyway, I have signed up for the half, rather than the full. I don't think I'm selling myself short in this regard, as I didn't finish out my only full marathon to date very well, and Paris is a much easier course. Maybe in 2016 I will be more prepared for 26.2.

So who's going, and what races will you be taking on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

So who's going, and what races will you be taking on?
    Um1. ........Ultra...
    Um1's da. .Half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

I'm doing the ultra as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Johnners1878

Full marathon for me, but not chasing any time targets - just want to go out and run one for the enjoyment. Hoping to work on 10ks and a bit of speedwork over the winter and throw in a few long runs to keep some miles in the legs.

I have one little logistical problem to overcome. I will be working on the Saturday in West Mayo, so will travel to Clifden that evening and stay over, but it will be after the close of number pick-up. My brother is doing the half but will be collecting his number in Galway and coming to the race from that side. I don't know anyone in Clifden to ask to pick up a number. Anyone on here basing themselves there the night before?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Going to go for the half again more than likely

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

I stupidly signed up for the Paris marathon not realising it was the same week as this. Still thinking about dropping Paris in favour of the Ultra.
    Did the ultra this year as my first attempt over 26 miles, so I'm keen to go back and check the progress I've made since then.

• Advertisement

Quick question for anyone who has done both Dublin and Connemara. Assuming all things being equal, fitness/weather conditions/hydration/preparation etc, how much harder/slower is the Connemara marathon than Dublin? I've finished Dublin in 3.30 and 3.31 - would it be realistic to hope to get under 3.30 in Connemara?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Quick question for anyone who has done both Dublin and Connemara. Assuming all things being equal, fitness/weather conditions/hydration/preparation etc, how much harder/slower is the Connemara marathon than Dublin? I've finished Dublin in 3.30 and 3.31 - would it be realistic to hope to get under 3.30 in Connemara?

Estimations vary, I'd say usually Connemara would 5-10 minutes slower.

Is 3.30 realistic? Sure, as long as you're in appropriate shape.

However, if times are important to you why would you be targeting one of the toughest marathons in Ireland?

Estimations vary, I'd say usually Connemara would 5-10 minutes slower.

Is 3.30 realistic? Sure, as long as you're in appropriate shape.

However, if times are important to you why would you be targeting one of the toughest marathons in Ireland?

Thanks, I thought it might have been even slower. Time isn't vital, but if I don't give myself something to aim at then getting out on a cold wet January evening to run 10 miles will be that much harder. Connemara works in terms of its timing and I'm based in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

Tricky one, it is a tough route. That final long drag up the hell of the west is very energy sapping, plus there's a very steep hill as you come out of Leenane. Add to that the prospect of downpours and high winds and you're really up against it.
    But it is an amazing place and I found the scenery and camaraderie a real boost.

Get plenty of hills and long runs done in your training and you might be good for it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Tricky one, it is a tough route. That final long drag up the hell of the west is very energy sapping, plus there's a very steep hill as you come out of Leenane. Add to that the prospect of downpours and high winds and you're really up against it.

...and it certainly had the high winds last year!

Wind was so strong on the hell of the west last year that I kept having to stop myself from being blown across the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

I am in for the full again this year...

I really enjoyed it as a my first last year (despite the wind yeah!) so why not.

It's not as hectic as Dublin, it's beautiful, rugged and tough.

It's an experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

Signed up for this with my brother and his g/f for our first full marathons. I did the Clontarf Half in November and wanted something to aim for in April to keep my training on track. I'm going to follow the Hal Higdon Novice 2 programme. I'll be mainly training in central Dublin/Phoenix park so may have to head further afield for some hill training. For a first marathon and a supposedly tough enough course (weather-dependent), I'd be happy enough to come in around the 3.45-3.55 mark.
    My folks are both going to run/walk the half marathon as well so should be a nice/gruelling day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Signed up for the Half - together with a friend from Netherlands. Bring it on! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

I signed up for the full marathon (gulp). It will be my first full, I ran the Sydney half marathon back in September in 88 minutes.
    Not really looking for a time target, just want to get over the line. Will be back home for the first time in four and a half years and what better way to get reacquainted with the scenery :)
    The biggest challenge for me will be getting some hill runs in. I live in Wollongong, NSW and it's mostly flat with the only real hill track being a motorway. Have started off training well, doing about 45k per week for the past fortnight and going well.
    This might sound crazy but am relly looking forward to running in the cold and rain. I have been craving it. 10 minutes into the run I won't be saying that says you!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭longford76

I am entered for the full following a deferral due to injury from last year. Hoping to keep up the training now and build the miles for the challenge HOTW presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TippRugby

I'm justing starting out with few 10k's under my belt and this will be my first half marathon - is it madness doing this as my first one ? Bit nervous but have beginners training plan I'm doing and figured it would be ok to do run/ walk for parts if necessary??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

TippRugby wrote: »
    I'm justing starting out with few 10k's under my belt and this will be my first half marathon - is it madness doing this as my first one ? Bit nervous but have beginners training plan I'm doing and figured it would be ok to do run/ walk for parts if necessary??

It's not madness, if you are doing 10k now and willing to train to the plan for next 3 months you'll be fine. Yes it's hilly but there are only / pain points, Mike 2 and 11/12.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Nd7

I know there will be hills but can anyone compare elevation to Dublin for me please

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tattycoram

I'm in!

For the half. Debated doing the full marathon but have a bad habit of not giving myself enough training time! Focusing on being in top form for the Dublin Marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

Nd7 wrote: »
    I know there will be hills but can anyone compare elevation to Dublin for me please

My garmin for Dublin this year measured 650ft. elevation gain with 241ft. max elevation.

I've only done the ultra for Connemara but found the marathon on map my run.
    806ft. elevation gain with 323ft max elevation.

Assuming it's the marathon you're doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 TippRugby

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    It's not madness, if you are doing 10k now and willing to train to the plan for next 3 months you'll be fine. Yes it's hilly but there are only / pain points, Mike 2 and 11/12.

Thanks! Has helped calm the nerves 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Nd7 wrote: »

Dublin full

Connemara full

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

Hi

if you go to you tube and type out

Marathon du Connemara 2011 you will find a great video of the route. tough route but it is connemara. i wouldn't expect anything else. for me its a get around as opposed to Dublin where you can hit a time

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Nd7

Thanks, really helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

I'm hoping to do the full and will have a couple of friends coming down to do the half. Any recommendations for accommodation? I was thinking around clifden might be good but don't know the area at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

I've entered the mullingar half marathon on St Patricks day. It'll be my first one so I won't enter the connamarathon until I'm sure I've prepared properly for it. Would it be too late to enter after St Patricks day
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

I've entered the mullingar half marathon on St Patricks day. It'll be my first one so I won't enter the connamarathon until I'm sure I've prepared properly for it. Would it be too late to enter after St Patricks day
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Cheers

If previous years are anything to go by Connemara will long be sold out by then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Cheers

As TFBubendorfer already mentioned, it'll be long sold out by then.

Actually amazed its not sold out already, normally end of Jan or sometime in Feb its gone I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Cabaal wrote: »
    As TFBubendorfer already mentioned, it'll be long sold out by then.

Actually amazed its not sold out already, normally end of Jan or sometime in Feb its gone I think

Ya I thought it would be sold out at this stage as well. Maybe the few newer Spring marathons Tralee to mention one are taking some of the numbers.

Advertisement