Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

nc6000 wrote: »
    Adnan will find out today if his case will be considered for an appeal.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/adnan-syed-to-have-case-considered-for-appeal-1.2065416

Uugh...I was under the (wrong) impression we'd actually get an answer today! Seems it could be ages before they reply ***according to the reddit comments anyways :(

http://www.reddit.com/r/serialpodcast/comments/2seuok/states_response_to_adnans_application_of_leave_to/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Two updates from the world after Serial:

The journalist who worked on the Jay Wilds and Kevin Urick interviews, Natasha Vargas-Cooper, has "resigned" from The Intercept.

Serial will almost definitely be adapted for television or film, an idea which I just instinctively think is terrible.

Something BIG (supposedly) coming from Rabia Choudry in less than an hour. Stay tuned....;)

https://twitter.com/rabiasquared/status/557538814626107393

rabia chaudry ‏@rabiasquared 26m26 minutes ago
    @Jorado89 you'll have to wait...one hour

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

“Serial” bombshell: Key witness comes forward with new affidavit, claims prosecutor suppressed her testimony
    Asia McClain also says she never recanted her initial alibi testimony, as prosecutor Kevin Urick claimed

http://www.salon.com/2015/01/20/%E2%80%9Cserial%E2%80%9D_bombshell_key_witness_comes_forward_with_new_affidavit_claims_that_prosecutor_suppressed_her_testimony/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »

The journalist who worked on the Jay Wilds and Kevin Urick interviews, Natasha Vargas-Cooper, has "resigned" from The Intercept.

They're none too pleased about it over on Jezebel. I do think her opinionated writing style will fit in better there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Just finished listening to this and can't commit to him being guilty or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭bren2001

Just finished listening to this and can't commit to him being guilty or not.

In the end, that was not the point of the podcast. Do you think there was enough evidence to convict him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

bren2001 wrote: »
    In the end, that was not the point of the podcast. Do you think there was enough evidence to convict him?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

No but the more I think about it the more it leaves a sour taste. For me Adnan's guilt is almost certain so let's assume for a minuite that he is guilty, Sarah has obviously made up her mind he is innocent and no matter how objective she tries to be she doesn't hide that fact very well (or even try too?).
    Then we have a whole load of innocent people who have tried to put this behind them being brought back into the limelight, let alone the victims family having to listen to a Sarah casting doubts on the conviction of someone they believe killed Hay.
    I'm not saying any of these people are innocent or guilty but in my opinion you can't have the media call them out and give a biased account of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭bren2001

kev1.3s wrote: »
    No but the more I think about it the more it leaves a sour taste. For me Adnan's guilt is almost certain so let's assume for a minuite that he is guilty, Sarah has obviously made up her mind he is innocent and no matter how objective she tries to be she doesn't hide that fact very well (or even try too?).
    Then we have a whole load of innocent people who have tried to put this behind them being brought back into the limelight, let alone the victims family having to listen to a Sarah casting doubts on the conviction of someone they believe killed Hay.
    I'm not saying any of these people are innocent or guilty but in my opinion you can't have the media call them out and give a biased account of events.

Well firstly, this is not how the justice system works. You must view the case as innocent until proven guilt. Thus, the burden of proof is on the state and not Adnan to prove his innocence.

I disagree that Sarah portrays Adnan as innocent nor that she believes he is innocent. Her final episode clearly states she is unsure. However, I found her portrayal of the case to as unbiased as reasonably allowed. She never really raises the subject of Adnan not committing the murder, she clearly shows the inconsistencies in the stories given by several witnesses. She shows the clear lack of evidence that actually put Adnan away and is it not beyond reasonable doubt that Adnan murdered Hae at the time, outside Best Buys.

While I believe Adnan killed Hae later on that day and did ask Jay to help bury the body, this is irrelevant. The evidence is not there to support my claim or the states claim. Adnan was unjustly locked away, in my opinion, until further evidence is brought forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Well firstly, this is not how the justice system works. You must view the case as innocent until proven guilt. Thus, the burden of proof is on the state and not Adnan to prove his innocence.

I disagree that Sarah portrays Adnan as innocent nor that she believes he is innocent. Her final episode clearly states she is unsure. However, I found her portrayal of the case to as unbiased as reasonably allowed. She never really raises the subject of Adnan not committing the murder, she clearly shows the inconsistencies in the stories given by several witnesses. She shows the clear lack of evidence that actually put Adnan away and is it not beyond reasonable doubt that Adnan murdered Hae at the time, outside Best Buys.

While I believe Adnan killed Hae later on that day and did ask Jay to help bury the body, this is irrelevant. The evidence is not there to support my claim or the states claim. Adnan was unjustly locked away, in my opinion, until further evidence is brought forward.

You're first point is mute as Adnan has already been found guilty so I don't think its unreasonable to assume his guilt until it's proven otherwise.
    I think Sarah glossed over many things that could have been elaborated on in order to get to her finishing point within 12 episodes.
    Fact of the matter is Adnan and Jay were in leakin park the night Hay disappeared where her body was eventually found.
    There wasn't enough evidence to convict him and some shady dealing went on with J but this is a man who has shown no remorse and hasn't even given the victims family the decency to let them know for sure what happened, all in my opinion to protect his own image.
    He doesn't deserve people's sympathy and effort to prove his innocence and Hay's family don't deserve the backlash either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭volchitsa

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Fact of the matter is Adnan and Jay were in leakin park the night Hay disappeared where her body was eventually found.

I may have missed this - I thought there was no such evidence once the phone records had been properly examined?

On your last point, I would agree completely that Hae's family deserve to be treated with respect and are in no way responsible for anything that may have gone wrong in Adnan's trial - but again, I've seen no backlash against them. But then I don't spend any time on the various reddit and other sites, so perhaps I've missed that. What attacks have been made on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Heard there's a movie in the pipeline. Amazing power of the podcast!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I assume that it's a movie of the podcast (the investigation)? A movie of Adnan, Jay and Hae's story might be a bit thin (and there are too many blanks in the story).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

If the point of the podcast was whether there was enough evidence to convict then she could have made that point in one hour. I think the aim was to try to get to the bottom of it and find a definitive answer to the case.

I also agree with Kev1.3s that while she tries to remain unbiased she clearly likes the guy and seems desperate for him to be innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Two updates from the world after Serial:

Serial will almost definitely be adapted for television or film, an idea which I just instinctively think is terrible.

It will probably be terrible but I'd love the idea of someone like David Fincher taking the story, adding a pinch of artistic licence to it and just doing what he likes. I think that would be good but it'll more likely end up as a dodgy mini series with Dev Patel fighting for his freedom :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Any news on when an appeal might take place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Any news on when an appeal might take place?

March 16th apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

I think he did it. No real plausible alternative answer. There is something not complete about Jay ' s story but the building blocks remain the same

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

is this a tv show or is it just audio?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Just audio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Adnan Syed's Attorney Officially Filed a Briefing for a New Trial

Adnan Syed has moved forward with pleading his case for a new trial. In a 31-page briefing filed today in the Maryland Court of Special Appeals, his attorney C. Justin Brown cites the incompetence of Syed's former lawyer M. Christina Gutierrez, who died 12 years ago.

http://jezebel.com/adnan-syeds-attorney-officially-filed-a-briefing-for-a-1693166639

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭recyclops

for anyone who is interesting rabia chaudry has started up a new podcast with herself and two other lawyers about the case and how it was handled in court

while admittedly biased it was a good listen and i will continue to check it out

http://undisclosed-podcast.com/

Yes Rabia is incredibly biased and I wasn't too happy to see she is involved in this. Oh well.....

Another episode of Undisclosed came out yesterday.

I find it weird how a lot of details from Hae's last day were left out of Serial.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

there is also an addendum between Ep1 and Ep2

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Is undisclosed worth checking out?

I really enjoyed Serial but was moreso waiting to hear more in the media about a potential retrial, not sure if jumping into another podcast is a great idea, listening to plenty as is

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It's alright, nowhere as gripping as Serial, but ironing out facts and getting things straight.
    It's more facts that have been missing from the case, or items that were not clear but now debunked.

• Advertisement

It's like a Hollywood remake - familiar, but not as good as the original.

Advertisement