Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

style advice please

• 06-11-2014 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi all,

I'm a 34 yr old guy, recently lost about 4 stone and im looking for some advice please?

Because of the weight I never really took an interest in what I wore. Now I feel Im pretty clueless.

Im mainly intersted in clothes for casual ware and going out as I have a defined 'uniform' for work.

Whats in fashion for guys of my age?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Congrats on the weight loss. You'll need a great pair of jeans! If you're in Dublin, head into the Levi's store on Grafton St, they're sure to have something to fit well. I think straight leg works best on most.

Tops wise, I think Oxford shirts are really nice, in just plain colours. Try Selected Homme for well priced ones, French Connection or Penguin for mor expensive. All 3 available in Arnotts.

The most important thing above all is how well it fits, well fitting clothes make a world of difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

What kind of style do you like? Are there any celebrities or singers / actors etc who's style you admire? That could help with recommendations, because you could want to dress like Liam Gallagher or you could want to dress like David Beckham, and the advice would be very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 martinf30

What kind of style do you like? Are there any celebrities or singers / actors etc who's style you admire? That could help with recommendations, because you could want to dress like Liam Gallagher or you could want to dress like David Beckham, and the advice would be very different.

Its a good question. I would like to think I am more of a David than a Noel but I guess thats half my problem, I dont have a style icon to mimic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Well in that case, let's look at a few pictures of David Beckham:

davidbeckhambestlooksou.jpg

467050435-david-beckham-is-seen-on-february-05-2014-in-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QQeApYmlThtQGr1mzCbUweDapg%2BRpOXDrMqMOKC7ST9i

David-Beckham-20.jpg

So what do you notice? His clothes are all pretty plain - dark jeans, boots, t shirts. The suit is classic and could be worn in any era. So he's fashionable, but he's not a hipster nor does he wear anything too outlandish (only sometimes). :) I think this could be a good way for you to start, get some nice, decent plain clobber and see what you like and what makes you look and feel good.

You don't have to spend a fortune but it goes without saying that the better the quality of the garment, the better it'll fit. And a quality garmet will cost you more. So, spend it wisely on some key elements, like good jeans, good boots, and a good jacket / coat. Once you got that, the rest will sort of fit in.

So:

- Dark jeans, straight fit. I'd recommend Diesel Larkee. They are straight but also a bit looser so you can be comfortable. Avoid skinny jeans for now, and boot cut jeans. Avoid lighter coloured jeans, you may be 34 but you want to avoid the "dad jeans" look.

- Footwear: Boots, brown or grey. Price and style can vary wildly, but you should get a sturdy pair of normal looking ones. If you aren't happy with those, you could try for desert boots. Get dark brown rather than sand as they'll match more with darker jeans. You could also go for classics, like white Converse, or I particularly like Vans Rata Vulc (link) which are very comfortable and come in all colours and designs.

- Jacket: This can vary on taste. You've a few choices. Overcoat style, parka style, or a shorter jacket like a bomber jacket or a sleeveless "gilet". You could get all three in fairness, but you've to figure out what you want to start with. But you need to know that certain things will work with certain outfits; so the parka would look better if you were wearing runners, and the wool coat would look better with boots. etc. Avoid Superdry etc, or anything that has a name or logo on it.

- Everything else: So what we're talking about here is plain and unassuming. Get some plain t shirts in white, navy, black - round neck. Not too large, try them on before you buy to make sure they are long enough and a little fitted around your chest. I find H&M very good for plain cotton t shirts, €5 each. Now they don't last very long but they aren't expensive.

Same with shirts. Get them slightly fitted, wear them untucked and do one button up more than you normally would to look a little more fashionable. Doing the top button may be one too many but you could try it. Don't wear a t shirt underneath either way. Get plain white, navy, light blue, or check. Try a brand like Penguin for casual shirts. Reiss for a more fitted option.

Get a few plain jumpers - cotton, again navy, brown, grey, cream, even light blue if you fancy it. You could also get a chunky cardigan or chunky jumper with a zip up or button neck. Never wear a hoody unless you are going to the gym. You are 34, not 24. ;)

Shops:
    BT2, Genius, Schuh, Office, Clarks, Zara, Vans, M&S, Raidar, Reiss, TK Maxx, Tommy Hilfiger, Benetton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Twee. wrote: »
    Congrats on the weight loss. You'll need a great pair of jeans! If you're in Dublin, head into the Levi's store on Grafton St, they're sure to have something to fit well. I think straight leg works best on most.

Definitely buy dark jeans (not those light blue ones)!

Eviltimeban has great advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 martinf30

Thank you so much all, especially Eviltimeban for all your suggestions

Advertisement