Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belfast 24hr

• 06-11-2014 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

During my first year of running whilst training for DCM13 I came across the Connemara 100
    On Facebook. I followed the event through the night. To me what these runners were
    accomplishing was amazing and exciting. From that moment it became a goal of mine to make it to the start line one day.At this stage I had already entered the conn ultra. Ultra running was the direction I wanted to go.

I've run very few races so far and none below half marathon distance yet.
    My pbs and goals for 2015 are:

Half marathon 1:32 goal sub1:30
    Marathon 3:21 goal sub 3:15
    39.3miles 6:08 goal sub 5:30
    100km 9:57 goal sub9:30
    100miles n/a goal sub 20hrs

For the ultra I've twice used a 50mile training plan which I enjoy. It has also got me to the
    Start line feeling confident and prepared.
    I can't link yet but will give week one below.

Mon rest
    Tue 10miles with 4by1 @tmp
    Wed 5miles easy
    Thurs 9miles middle 3 @mp
    Fri rest
    Sat 90min lsr
    Sun 3hr lsr

I'll begin this plan at the end of November which will bring me up to the conn ultra in April.
    It's a 16 week plan. I'll begin a week early to allow for injury/sickness.
    After that I'll decide on a plan for the CNM100.

My races for next year are in order:

April conn ultra
    May Belfast marathon
    June Portumna 100k
    August CNM100
    Sept waterside half marathon
    Oct Dublin marathon

If I have a successful year and achieve my goals there about then I will
    focus on 2016 being my year for the sub 3 marathon attempt.

If you got this far thanks for reading.
    I look forward to logging my progress.
    I'm currently building miles again in preperation for week one of training
    and just enjoying getting out there and running.

Ed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Ed Mc wrote: »
    During my first year of running whilst training for DCM13 I came across the Connemara 100
    On Facebook. I followed the event through the night. To me what these runners were
    accomplishing was amazing and exciting. From that moment it became a goal of mine to make it to the start line one day.At this stage I had already entered the conn ultra. Ultra running was the direction I wanted to go.

I've run very few races so far and none below half marathon distance yet.
    My pbs and goals for 2015 are:

For the ultra I've twice used a 50mile training plan which I enjoy. It has also got me to the
    Start line feeling confident and prepared.
    I can't link yet but will give week one below.

Mon rest
    Tue 10miles with 4by1 @tmp
    Wed 5miles easy
    Thurs 9miles middle 3 @mp
    Fri rest
    Sat 90min lsr
    Sun 3hr lsr

I'll begin this plan at the end of November which will bring me up to the conn ultra in April.
    It's a 16 week plan. I'll begin a week early to allow for injury/sickness.
    After that I'll decide on a plan for the CNM100.

My races for next year are in order:

April conn ultra
    May Belfast marathon
    June Portumna 100k
    August CNM100
    Sept waterside half marathon
    Oct Dublin marathon

If I have a successful year and achieve my goals there about then I will
    focus on 2016 being my year for the sub 3 marathon attempt.

If you got this far thanks for reading.
    I look forward to logging my progress.
    I'm currently building miles again in preperation for week one of training
    and just enjoying getting out there and running.

Ed.

Best of luck with it. I ran the Conn100 in 2012 as my 100th marathon and it wasn't pretty! If I were you I probably wouldn't do the 100k, also try to get in plenty of back to back long runs.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

Best of luck with it. I ran the Conn100 in 2012 as my 100th marathon and it wasn't pretty! If I were you I probably wouldn't do the 100k, also try to get in plenty of back to back long runs.

TbL

Thanks TbL. I'll definitely take your advice on board (and anyone else's for that matter).
    After my last and first 100km I was back running two days after but I think the effects of it didn't hit until a week or two later. I suppose I've seen many runners go from the Portumna 100k to the conn100 and seen it as part of the training but I wouldn't be in the same league as them.

10 miles
    Avg.pace 8:38 min miles
    1:24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

TbL

Best of luck with the log and goal Ed! I might join you in August depending on how things pan out training wise.

Dont know if I'd agree with TBL on this. I think the 100k would serve as a great prep race for CNM100. You cant recreate the buzz/nerves/atmosphere of a race in training so think the 100k would be a great way to practice everything you will do on the day/night of the 100m.

I do agree about the back-to-back runs though. Will the 100k be your longest training run before the 100m or have you other long training runs planned?

Best of luck with the log and goal Ed! I might join you in August depending on how things pan out training wise.

Dont know if I'd agree with TBL on this. I think the 100k would serve as a great prep race for CNM100. You cant recreate the buzz/nerves/atmosphere of a race in training so think the 100k would be a great way to practice everything you will do on the day/night of the 100m.

I do agree about the back-to-back runs though. Will the 100k be your longest training run before the 100m or have you other long training runs planned?

Thanks Dogslysmile.
    I've no experience of 100mile training or how the race it self will effect my body and mind as the miles build so whatever my approach there'll be a certain amount of guess work involved.

100km was going to be my longest training run. Would you suggest more of these? Back to backs will be part of weekly training building to a 4hr run followed by a 5hr run maybe 3 times in total.
    I'm curious would back to back to back runs be beneficial. Also heard people getting up in the middle of the night to do a long run trying to replicate running tired and in the dark.
    On the other end of training Brian ankers only ran 40mile weeks in his training.
    It's hard to know what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Only train as hard as u can recover.....

Thanks Dogslysmile.
    I've no experience of 100mile training or how the race it self will effect my body and mind as the miles build so whatever my approach there'll be a certain amount of guess work involved.

100km was going to be my longest training run. Would you suggest more of these? Back to backs will be part of weekly training building to a 4hr run followed by a 5hr run maybe 3 times in total.
    I'm curious would back to back to back runs be beneficial. Also heard people getting up in the middle of the night to do a long run trying to replicate running tired and in the dark.
    On the other end of training Brian ankers only ran 40mile weeks in his training.
    It's hard to know what to do.

I havent ran 100m yet so dont want to give you the wrong advice! But I wouldnt go any further than 100k if you are doing your first 100m. Back to backs will be important but adding another long run after that and you could be asking for an injury. I'd probably go a little longer than 4hr + 5hr b2b TBH, at least 6hr + 6hr you will be running for a lot longer than that in CNM100 so better to be prepared!

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Only train as hard as u can recover.....

Excellent point! Hadn't looked at it from this perspective.
    Congratulations at spartahlon by the way.

Am 30mins yoga (from a book) a few pointers from my yoga teaching sister in law on technique and off we go. Classes would be more beneficial but times don't suit me.

Pm 13.42 miles@ 8:27m/m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I know BA and when it comes to marathons and ultras he's a machine.

He's been running marathons for a good few years and has done back to back (ultra), 10 in 10 etc etc. he's not typical and has years of experience.

UM can probably give you better pointers and I'm only giving my subjective non expert opinion, but a 100k less than two months out from a 100 might not end well. Two things to consider:

1. The greater potential for physical injury,

2. The mental effect a poor 100k run might have on your 100 mile race.

Plenty of long back to back, double marathons etc, but you need to build up slowly.

I ran the Conn Race Directors marathon and the next day did the Ultra, and I continued to build from there. I felt in great shape and marathon PD'ed twice while training for the C100, unfortunately the heat on the day really got to me.

Best of luck with it, it's a great experience.

One last thing, a good experienced crew is extremely important.

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Am no expert either,but if cnm100 is ur A race,I wouldn't Be too concerned about pb's,times in your other races,treat them all as training runs with the focus on slightly stressing the body and recovering as well and as quickly possible .Knocking 40 mins of ur 39 mile time,although very possible,mite knock u out for 2-3 weeks of training.I wouldn't advise against doin the 100km but i would èrr on thé side of caution and be running it very easy not stressing your hr and with a view to recovery and making the best out of training benifit,......stress,recovery,consolidate..slightly increase stress,recovery,consolidate..and so on.

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Am no expert either,but if cnm100 is ur A race,I wouldn't Be too concerned about pb's,times in your other races,treat them all as training runs with the focus on slightly stressing the body and recovering as well and as quickly possible .Knocking 40 mins of ur 39 mile time,although very possible,mite knock u out for 2-3 weeks of training.I wouldn't advise against doin the 100km but i would èrr on thé side of caution and be running it very easy not stressing your hr and with a view to recovery and making the best out of training benifit,......stress,recovery,consolidate..slightly increase stress,recovery,consolidate..and so on.

Your expierence allows you a certain amount of expertise at the very least (along with many here).
    My approach will determine my success so to speak.
    Thanks for the input. I haven't been using the hrm as a training guide yet so I must make more use of it.

40mins stretching + foam rolling

About a year ago I did a heart rate test( not very accurately)
    Resting heart rate was 60
    Maximum heart rate was 178

So I decided to re-test today.
    I possibly did too much before the test.
    Or did the test incorrectly but these are the results.

.5 mile warm up
    Dynamic stretches
    2mile @8:52 hr142

Hill repeats:
    600metre hr182 Elve.165ft
    500metre hr183 Elve.133ft
    400metre hr189 elve.128ft

1mile @9:47 hr141

Current rhr 57
    Current mhr 189

9miles @8:54 min miles

.5mile w/u
    Dynamic stretches
    5mile @7:27m/m
    .5mile c/d
    Static stretches

9miles @9:04m/m

Thurs
    Rest

Friday
    10miles @8:02 m/m

10miles @7:50mm avg. pace

Sunday 16th
    Rest

Monday 17th
    9miles @8:43 min/mile

Tuesday 18th
    5miles @8:01 min/mile

Wednesday 19th
    Rest

Thursday 20th
    12miles @8:45 min/mile
    Hr 141
    Elev. 650ft.

Friday 21st.
    13miles @9:10min/mile
    Hr 139
    Elev. 1057ft.

• Advertisement

Sat 22nd
    Rest

Sun 23rd
    9miles @7:39 min/mile

Mon 24th
    5miles @8:10 min/mile

7mile@ 9:17 mm

8miles @7:42 min.mile

Thurs 27 Nov tue 2 Dec
    Sick

Wed 3rd
    8 @ 9min.mile

Thurs 4th
    14 @ 9min.mile

Fri 5th
    15 @ 8:35 min.mile
    Last 3 @ mp

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

Thurs 27 Nov tue 2 Dec
    Sick

Wed 3rd
    8 @ 9min.mile

Thurs 4th
    14 @ 9min.mile

Fri 5th
    15 @ 8:35 min.mile
    Last 3 @ mp

Dats a really nice week of running there. fair play 2 you. 14 mile followed by 15m. great stuff.

5miles @ 9:42 min. Mile

5miles @ 9:10 min. mile

10mile w/6 by 1mile @ tmp off 90sec. recovery

2mile w/u
    6:50
    6:40 (downhill, wind behind)
    6:49
    7:23 (uphill wind head on)
    6:48
    2mile c/d

Miles year to date 2001
    Runs year to date 238

5miles @ 9:20 min mile

• Advertisement

9miles @ 8:12 min.mile
    Middle 3@ mp

Fri 12th
    Rest

Sat 13th
    90min. Lsr
    9miles @ 10 min.mile

A beautiful morning in Donegal,but the roads are like a bottle.
    I managed to stay off my ass which is more than can be said about the local rottweiler. It began its usual charge before slipping and crashing into its
    own gate, excellent.

Edit: add rest day.

3hr lsr
    20.2 miles @ 8:53 min. Mile

Mon 15th
    Rest

Tue 16th
    9.5 mile w/ 6mile @ tmp off 90sec. Rec.

2mile w/u
    6:47
    6.50 (messed up watch here so stabbed a guess)
    1.5mile c/d

Wed 17th
    5miles @ 9min. mile

Thurs 18th
    9 miles @ 7:37 min. mile

Fri 19th
    5 miles @ 8:50 min. mile

whats da plans for the christmas trainin Ed_Mc - will u try to get a few long ones into you?

whats da plans for the christmas trainin Ed_Mc - will u try to get a few long ones into you?

Hey darbyrne1980 how's it goin'.
    I'm working Christmas Day through 'til New Year's Eve so it won't be any easier to get the runs in. Sunday and Monday this week will be around 12 and 20. Then 15 and 24 or so the next week. Then a step back week then the longer back to backs will begin.
    I see you're contemplating Belfast marathon. I entered it a couple of weeks ago and they've already sent my race pack out, it'll be a job not losing it before may. I enjoyed it last year, you get to see some interesting parts of Belfast.

• Advertisement

Sat 20th
    Rest

Sun 21st
    10miles @ 9min. mile

Mon 22nd
    22miles @ 9:20min. mile

Some solid training recently. Whats the plan race wise for the next few months? You seem to be knocking out some good back-to-back runs, are you building towards something or is this all just groundwork for CNM100?

Some solid training recently. Whats the plan race wise for the next few months? You seem to be knocking out some good back-to-back runs, are you building towards something or is this all just groundwork for CNM100?

Well this particular training block will cumulate in running the conn ultra. I would have preferred the wos 50mile but didn't know it was on (conn ultra already booked). Being from Bray I could have added a session with the lads.
    I'm also tinkering with a change of venue for the 100mile in 2015. CNM100 is my first choice but the logistics and timing are becoming unsuitable for me.

Glad to see you got your motivation back this week, nice bit of running there.

Hey darbyrne1980 how's it goin'.
    I'm working Christmas Day through 'til New Year's Eve so it won't be any easier to get the runs in. Sunday and Monday this week will be around 12 and 20. Then 15 and 24 or so the next week. Then a step back week then the longer back to backs will begin.
    I see you're contemplating Belfast marathon. I entered it a couple of weeks ago and they've already sent my race pack out, it'll be a job not losing it before may. I enjoyed it last year, you get to see some interesting parts of Belfast.

dats a pity - its funny we as runners always seem to put running 1st and forget abut work and paying da bills ;-) it looks like u;ll still manage to get out which is great deteminiation!

Tue 23rd
    Rest

Wed 24th
    10miles w/ 2 by 2 miles @ hmp off 2min recovery

8:49
    8:21
    8:19
    7:00
    6:58
    8:28
    8:55
    9:03

Happy Christmas all.
    Ed

• Advertisement

9.5 miles w/ 3 by 1 miles @ (a possible) 5k pace (ish) off 60sec. recovery

8:21
    8:24
    8:41
    6:10
    6:01
    6:13
    10:09
    9:23
    9:17
    5:52 (.6 mile)

Mrs Mc suggested I run the local New Year's Day 5k. I've never run a 5k before or attempted such a pace above before, so as of tonight the fastest pace I've ever held for a mile is 6:01(garmin time). I would prefer to train for a particular distance then race it but sure I'll give it a bash. I'm aiming for sub 20min. decided after tonight I'll set out at 6:25 pace and take it from there.

Sat 27th
    rest

Sun 28th
    14 miles @ 8:45

Mon 29th
    22 miles @ 9:21

Tue 30th
    Rest

Wed 31st
    5.5 miles @ 8:44

So that's me for the year.
    A total of 2,155 miles over 251 runs.
    Tomorrow I'll be doing something I've never done before, a 5k race,no better day for it I suppose.

Happy new year all,
    Ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Best of luck.

So my first 5km.
    Goal sub 20min.
    Had to look up google on how to warm up for one last night.
    Started 45mins before hand (just aswell).
    It was supposed to be 20min easy to begin. Local 5k so started from the house out the road for 10mins when a car pulls up looking for the 5k. registration. It was easier to get in the car and show him, had registered earlier myself so that part was already dealt with. Landed at reg. pointed Barry ,my new friend ,in the right direction and needed to get home quick to get sorted, 1.5 miles away. A bit of a rush here, glad I had all the gear and number sorted at home.
    Now 15mins. til the gun.
    Got the gear on and we all,my family,pack into the car to the start line. Some dynamic stretches and sprints/strides and I'm ready, albeit not particularly relaxed.
    ..and we're away
    Garmin read sub 6 in the first 100metre so slowed it down.
    Felt reasonably ok here but struggled to keep 6:25 for the first mile.

Mile 1 6:30

Ok so I need to speed up to reach my goal. There's some guys in reach that I can use to gain pace on and motivate myself so all good and if I keep it up then I don't think there's pressure from behind.

Mile 2 6:34

Well that's not good. Start thinking sub 20's not that easy and am already settling for 21 in my head. Manage to catch a runner, say "how's it going what are you aiming for" sub 20 he says, "me too" and we cruise for a while. I'm feeling stronger now and he starts to slip away.
    Feeling some pain now but start thinking about this update and how I'd be disappointed about logging anything but a sub 20.
    Home straight now and thanks to the rain I can hear a runner splashing in the puddles behind getting closer.
    I'm not gonna give up a place here, give it all and finish strong.
    I never heard the mile 3 beep on the garmin.

Mile 3 6:16

.1 mile :16sec

Total 19:36

Woohoo!!!

Fri 2nd
    Rest

Sat 3rd
    10miles @8:33min mile

Sun 4th
    13miles @9min mile

Mon 4th
    Rest

Tue 5th
    10mile w/6mile @ tmp off 90 sec. recovery

8:50
    8:13
    6:49
    6:48
    9:04
    8:48

Wed 6th
    5mile @9min. mile

Thurs 7th
    10 mile @9min. mile

Fri 8th
    Rest

Sat 9th
    25.8 mile @9:24 min. mile

Sun 10th
    18mile @9:40min. mile

31 miles for the week.

Must try harder.

Mon 19th
    Rest

Tue 20st
    9miles @ 8:50

Wed 21nd
    5miles @ 8:52

Thurs 22rd
    9miles @ 8:49

Fri 23rd
    Rest

Sat 24th
    14 miles @ 8:15
    hr 147

Sun 25th
    20 miles @ 8:21
    hr 148

Mon 26th
    Rest

Tue 27th
    14miles @ 8:31
    Hr 141

Wed 28th
    Rest

Thurs 29th
    20miles @ 8:44
    Hr 149

Fri 30th
    20miles @ 9:15
    Hr 141

Sat 31st
    5miles @ 9:53
    Hr 138

Sun 1st
    5miles @ 8:37
    Hr 145

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hey Ed, you and Barryoneill have a very similar log-writing style, have ye been to the same log writing school :D I like the way you casually slip in two back-to back 20 mile runs...nice :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement