Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast 24hr

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

Fri 12th
    Rest

Sat 13th
    90min. Lsr
    9miles @ 10 min.mile

A beautiful morning in Donegal,but the roads are like a bottle.
    I managed to stay off my ass which is more than can be said about the local rottweiler. It began its usual charge before slipping and crashing into its
    own gate, excellent.

Edit: add rest day.

3hr lsr
    20.2 miles @ 8:53 min. Mile

Mon 15th
    Rest

Tue 16th
    9.5 mile w/ 6mile @ tmp off 90sec. Rec.

2mile w/u
    6:47
    6.50 (messed up watch here so stabbed a guess)
    1.5mile c/d

Wed 17th
    5miles @ 9min. mile

Thurs 18th
    9 miles @ 7:37 min. mile

Fri 19th
    5 miles @ 8:50 min. mile

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

whats da plans for the christmas trainin Ed_Mc - will u try to get a few long ones into you?

whats da plans for the christmas trainin Ed_Mc - will u try to get a few long ones into you?

Hey darbyrne1980 how's it goin'.
    I'm working Christmas Day through 'til New Year's Eve so it won't be any easier to get the runs in. Sunday and Monday this week will be around 12 and 20. Then 15 and 24 or so the next week. Then a step back week then the longer back to backs will begin.
    I see you're contemplating Belfast marathon. I entered it a couple of weeks ago and they've already sent my race pack out, it'll be a job not losing it before may. I enjoyed it last year, you get to see some interesting parts of Belfast.

• Advertisement

Sat 20th
    Rest

Sun 21st
    10miles @ 9min. mile

Mon 22nd
    22miles @ 9:20min. mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Some solid training recently. Whats the plan race wise for the next few months? You seem to be knocking out some good back-to-back runs, are you building towards something or is this all just groundwork for CNM100?

Some solid training recently. Whats the plan race wise for the next few months? You seem to be knocking out some good back-to-back runs, are you building towards something or is this all just groundwork for CNM100?

Well this particular training block will cumulate in running the conn ultra. I would have preferred the wos 50mile but didn't know it was on (conn ultra already booked). Being from Bray I could have added a session with the lads.
    I'm also tinkering with a change of venue for the 100mile in 2015. CNM100 is my first choice but the logistics and timing are becoming unsuitable for me.

Glad to see you got your motivation back this week, nice bit of running there.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

Ed Mc wrote: »
    Hey darbyrne1980 how's it goin'.
    I'm working Christmas Day through 'til New Year's Eve so it won't be any easier to get the runs in. Sunday and Monday this week will be around 12 and 20. Then 15 and 24 or so the next week. Then a step back week then the longer back to backs will begin.
    I see you're contemplating Belfast marathon. I entered it a couple of weeks ago and they've already sent my race pack out, it'll be a job not losing it before may. I enjoyed it last year, you get to see some interesting parts of Belfast.

dats a pity - its funny we as runners always seem to put running 1st and forget abut work and paying da bills ;-) it looks like u;ll still manage to get out which is great deteminiation!

Tue 23rd
    Rest

Wed 24th
    10miles w/ 2 by 2 miles @ hmp off 2min recovery

8:49
    8:21
    8:19
    7:00
    6:58
    8:28
    8:55
    9:03

Happy Christmas all.
    Ed

• Advertisement

9.5 miles w/ 3 by 1 miles @ (a possible) 5k pace (ish) off 60sec. recovery

8:21
    8:24
    8:41
    6:10
    6:01
    6:13
    10:09
    9:23
    9:17
    5:52 (.6 mile)

Mrs Mc suggested I run the local New Year's Day 5k. I've never run a 5k before or attempted such a pace above before, so as of tonight the fastest pace I've ever held for a mile is 6:01(garmin time). I would prefer to train for a particular distance then race it but sure I'll give it a bash. I'm aiming for sub 20min. decided after tonight I'll set out at 6:25 pace and take it from there.

Sat 27th
    rest

Sun 28th
    14 miles @ 8:45

Mon 29th
    22 miles @ 9:21

Tue 30th
    Rest

Wed 31st
    5.5 miles @ 8:44

So that's me for the year.
    A total of 2,155 miles over 251 runs.
    Tomorrow I'll be doing something I've never done before, a 5k race,no better day for it I suppose.

Happy new year all,
    Ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Best of luck.

So my first 5km.
    Goal sub 20min.
    Had to look up google on how to warm up for one last night.
    Started 45mins before hand (just aswell).
    It was supposed to be 20min easy to begin. Local 5k so started from the house out the road for 10mins when a car pulls up looking for the 5k. registration. It was easier to get in the car and show him, had registered earlier myself so that part was already dealt with. Landed at reg. pointed Barry ,my new friend ,in the right direction and needed to get home quick to get sorted, 1.5 miles away. A bit of a rush here, glad I had all the gear and number sorted at home.
    Now 15mins. til the gun.
    Got the gear on and we all,my family,pack into the car to the start line. Some dynamic stretches and sprints/strides and I'm ready, albeit not particularly relaxed.
    ..and we're away
    Garmin read sub 6 in the first 100metre so slowed it down.
    Felt reasonably ok here but struggled to keep 6:25 for the first mile.

Mile 1 6:30

Ok so I need to speed up to reach my goal. There's some guys in reach that I can use to gain pace on and motivate myself so all good and if I keep it up then I don't think there's pressure from behind.

Mile 2 6:34

Well that's not good. Start thinking sub 20's not that easy and am already settling for 21 in my head. Manage to catch a runner, say "how's it going what are you aiming for" sub 20 he says, "me too" and we cruise for a while. I'm feeling stronger now and he starts to slip away.
    Feeling some pain now but start thinking about this update and how I'd be disappointed about logging anything but a sub 20.
    Home straight now and thanks to the rain I can hear a runner splashing in the puddles behind getting closer.
    I'm not gonna give up a place here, give it all and finish strong.
    I never heard the mile 3 beep on the garmin.

Mile 3 6:16

.1 mile :16sec

Total 19:36

Woohoo!!!

Fri 2nd
    Rest

Sat 3rd
    10miles @8:33min mile

Sun 4th
    13miles @9min mile

Mon 4th
    Rest

Tue 5th
    10mile w/6mile @ tmp off 90 sec. recovery

8:50
    8:13
    6:50
    6:49
    6:48
    9:04
    8:48

Wed 6th
    5mile @9min. mile

Thurs 7th
    10 mile @9min. mile

Fri 8th
    Rest

Sat 9th
    25.8 mile @9:24 min. mile

Sun 10th
    18mile @9:40min. mile

31 miles for the week.

Must try harder.

Mon 19th
    Rest

Tue 20st
    9miles @ 8:50

Wed 21nd
    5miles @ 8:52

Thurs 22rd
    9miles @ 8:49

Fri 23rd
    Rest

Sat 24th
    14 miles @ 8:15
    hr 147

Sun 25th
    20 miles @ 8:21
    hr 148

Mon 26th
    Rest

Tue 27th
    14miles @ 8:31
    Hr 141

Wed 28th
    Rest

Thurs 29th
    20miles @ 8:44
    Hr 149

Fri 30th
    20miles @ 9:15
    Hr 141

Sat 31st
    5miles @ 9:53
    Hr 138

Sun 1st
    5miles @ 8:37
    Hr 145

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hey Ed, you and Barryoneill have a very similar log-writing style, have ye been to the same log writing school :D I like the way you casually slip in two back-to back 20 mile runs...nice :)

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hey Ed, you and Barryoneill have a very similar log-writing style, have ye been to the same log writing school :D I like the way you casually slip in two back-to back 20 mile runs...nice :)

I'll have you know I added heart rate to the last two post which increases them by 33% :D .But that's causing some strain and probably won't be able to keep it up.
    The 20milers were fairly uneventful. Lots of snow and hail with a wave of slush thrown at me every time a car passed.

Nothing to see here, move along.
    20 miles for the week.

Mon 9th
    3 miles @8:10

Tue 10th
    8 miles @8:43

Wed 11th
    6 miles @8:25

Thurs 12th
    14 miles @9:08

Fri 13th
    6 miles @7:50

Sat 14th
    Rest

Sun 15th
    16 miles @7:40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Mileage a bit down last couple of weeks Ed, you carrying a knock?

TbL

Mileage a bit down last couple of weeks Ed, you carrying a knock?

TbL

Hey TbL,
    Week beginning 11/1 shin splints reared their ugly head (again).
    Physio ,added stretches and cutting mileage for a week and intensity(interval/tempo) was order of the day.
    Rehab process was going well then I had a personnel issue last week which set me back.

This week was a step back week which I was glad of. A busy week in work plus a couple of nixers over the weekend(chef/valentines) left little time.The back to back was out the window so focused on pace.

Tested the water with some faster paces this week and feeling stronger.
    Today's run gave me a lot of confidence and hopefully the next two weeks will have me back were I want to be.

Cheers,
    Ed.

Mon 16th
    Rest

Tue 17th
    9 miles @8:54

Wed 18th
    5 miles @9:08

Thurs 19th
    9 miles @8:23

Fri 20th
    Rest

Sat 21st
    25 miles @9:07

Sun 22nd
    20 miles @8:57
    Added some pace at the end to test the legs.
    Last four miles
    8:10
    7:42
    7:44
    7:22

Very happy with the long runs.
    Both done around 5:30am without breakfast and just some water on the first one.
    Physically the body felt great, shin splints are improving.
    There was quite a bit of snow on Saturday morning followed by hail but as the sun came up it turned out nice,albeit very cold.
    Today was miserable and wet and when the sun came up it didn't seem to make much difference, but mentally it didn't have much effect, I was in a good place.

Nice back to back ED and solid finish on second one.

Early week mileage looks on the low side are you just back building it up?

TbL

Nice back to back ED and solid finish on second one.

Early week mileage looks on the low side are you just back building it up?

TbL

The fact is I'm following a generic plan I found on runners world, 50mile training plan.
    All the mid week runs are 9 with interval, 5 recovery and 9 with tempo for 16 weeks with rest days either side of the back to backs.
    This is the third time I've used it but because I'm learning a bit more about running I am questioning the lesser mileage during the week as the weekend miles increase.
    I'm not currently doing the interval or tempo due to fear of flaring up an injury just covering the miles.
    If you or anyone else has any suggestion to improve the plan I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Ed

Ed Mc wrote: »
    The fact is I'm following a generic plan I found on runners world, 50mile training plan.
    All the mid week runs are 9 with interval, 5 recovery and 9 with tempo for 16 weeks with rest days either side of the back to backs.
    This is the third time I've used it but because I'm learning a bit more about running I am questioning the lesser mileage during the week as the weekend miles increase.
    I'm not currently doing the interval or tempo due to fear of flaring up an injury just covering the miles.
    If you or anyone else has any suggestion to improve the plan I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Ed

UM will probably come along with some sound advice but if it was me I'd be doing a mid week run of 15-20 miles and incorporating a few decent doubles in. The closer I got to target race I'd run 3 consecutive days with a total mileage of 60-65 miles. Just my personal opinion, and to emphasise I know very little about running

TbL

• Advertisement

UM will probably come along with some sound advice but if it was me I'd be doing a mid week run of 15-20 miles and incorporating a few decent doubles in. The closer I got to target race I'd run 3 consecutive days with a total mileage of 60-65 miles. Just my personal opinion, and to emphasise I know very little about running

Thanks,
    I'm currently on week nine of this plan and will be starting a more specific one in april which has bigger milage during the week and builds more evenly throughout also adding a days running.

Advertisement