Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast 24hr

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

Belfast 24hrs week 6 of 8

Sun 28th
    12 miles @7:20

Mon 29th
    12 miles @7:14

Tue 30th
    12 miles @7:59

Wed 1st
    18 miles @8:54

Thurs 2nd
    31 miles @8:34

Fri 3rd
    37 miles @9:42

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Ed Mc wrote: »

Sun 28th
    12 miles @7:20

Mon 29th
    12 miles @7:14

Tue 30th
    12 miles @7:59

Wed 1st
    18 miles @8:54

Thurs 2nd
    31 miles @8:34

Fri 3rd
    37 miles @9:42

That's some serious running. Starting to feel like a lazy ol couch potato just looking at that.:o

Just to update last week's runs.
    Didn't have a lot of time to spare when logging.
    Ed Mc wrote:

Ed Mc wrote:
    Sun 28th 12 miles @7:20

A tempo run. Peaking around 6:30.
    Didn't want the week to begin sluggish, so started strong and hoped to follow through for the week.

Ed Mc wrote:
    Mon 29th 12 miles @7:14

Kept the pace even on this one. Thought the legs were going to be tired from the start but felt strong from the beginning and just went it.

Ed Mc wrote:
    Tue 30th 12 miles @7:59

Eased up on this one. Was happy to tick along at what felt like an easy pace compared to the previous days. Already half way through my peak week and feeling great.
    Ed Mc wrote:
    Wed 1st 18 miles @8:54

Decided to slow it right down in preparation of the back to back. Was very warm and hadn't brought any water so suffered for the last 6 miles or so.

Ed Mc wrote:
    Thurs 2nd 31 miles @8:34

Was planning on slowing the final run down totally so wanted to keep some life in this one.
    The first mile felt good so just kept it going around 8:30.
    Did some run walk and felt a blister forming on the heel.

I've only had a few blisters and believe it was from the walking sections.

Ed Mc wrote:
    Fri 3rd 37 miles @9:42

There had been a lot of info. on FB during the week about over training syndrome which was on my mind during this run.
    Although I felt great I thought it best to take it real slow, finish the week unscathed.
    The blister had ballooned by the end covering most of my heel but I have it sorted now.

Physically I felt good all week but I had some negative thoughts about running so many miles in a week.

My family knew it was coming but I had to act fairly selfishly to achieve it (although getting out of bed earlier may have prevented some guilt).
    I don't think I'll go beyond a 100 miles again or even 90 in a week, and may test a quality over quantity plan for my next marathon or ultra.

Sat 3rd
    Was flat out with work and a nixer.
    Then off to the airport at1:30 am sun morning to France for 5 days.

Although I had great intentions to run it wasn't going to be easy to fit in.
    Only got out for two short runs. The daughter managed to guilt trip me out of any more.
    No point in stressing about these things it only make it worse.
    I ate and drank at my pleasure and managed to stay the same weight also so that was a bonus.

Fri 10th

18 miles @8:31

Was unsure how this would go after a few days off but felt good all throughout.
    Four runs left and I'm done, hard to believe really.
    In two minds about race day strategy now, but not too stressed about it. Gonna see how I feel on the day.
    Sure it's only an auld hobby, it'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

You'll be grand Ed.

Tit (trust in training), you've a solid block done.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

In two minds about race day strategy
    eyeballs out till u drop,....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Some amazing training put in Ed, I've been looking in here and wondering just how you do it, fair play...

Have you everything finalised with crew, gear, nutrition, tunes???
    Must take some planning even after all the long hours training....
    I'm sure you'll do yourself justice, you've the work put in...

martyboy48 wrote:
    I've been looking in here and wondering just how you do it, fair play...

I just run Marty, that's all. Lace up the runners and run. I put the head down, shut off and run. There's no real quality involved, Just mile after mile.
    martyboy48 wrote:
    Have you everything finalised with crew, gear, nutrition, tunes??? Must take some planning even after all the long hours training....

The crew are a couple of misfits to be honest. If I can keep one of them off the cans and smoke it'll be a success.

The gear is easy, I'm bringing everything I have.

Nutrition is a tricky one. The plan is to bring far more than needed and take it on board before it's needed on board. But at the same time I've only taken water and salt tabs recently so I'll play it by ear.

Tunes are the easy part . Although I run comfortable without them, I know what motivates me and the play list is sorted if needed.

But in reality I'm probably just gonna wing it and pray it works out.

I just run Marty, that's all. Lace up the runners and run. I put the head down, shut off and run. There's no real quality involved, Just mile after mile.

Ah ya, but at least there's a good mix in there of long, longer and ever longer runs as well as tempo and a bit of progression running, even as you train for the 24hr !!!! :D:D

The crew are a couple of misfits to be honest. If I can keep one of them off the cans and smoke it'll be a success.

I have no experience in the distance, but this would concern me greatly... I believe the crew would need to be in tune with what is going on at all times and have experience in distance running. Especially in regards when things get tough and when they get to tough.. When to drive you on with encouragement and when (god forbid) if needed to pull the plug and take you off... As I said, just my 2 cents, I have no first hand knowledge of what is involved...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

"Back to back"??!! Surely you meant 'back to back to back'* :D:D

Very best of luck to you. No stopping for fag-and-can breaks yourself in your delirium... ;)

*Wed/Thur/Fri 18/31/37 the middle one longer than a marathon at sub-3:45 pace :eek :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I just run Marty, that's all. Lace up the runners and run. I put the head down, shut off and run.

Quote of the week!!! I like your attitude and your balance about it.

• Advertisement

Belfast 24hrs week 8 of 8

Sat 11th
    Rest

Sun 12 th
    12 miles @7:53

Mon 13th
    9 miles @8:16

Tue 14th
    6 miles @8:35

Wed 15th
    6 miles @8:35

Thurs 16th
    Rest

So that's that.

A successful training block from my perspective. I'll be on the start line injury free with the confidence that I've hit my weekly target's.
    My races so far this year have backed up my confidence In the training plan.
    I'm not nervous at all about Friday. In fact I'm a little too calm.
    I'm looking forward to the start and plan on just running constantly to begin with and play it by ear.

Plan A is 200km
    Plan B is 100 miles
    Plan C is too never give up, just put the head down, relentless forward motion.
    But I PLAN on enjoying myself most of all.
    I love running.
    It released me from my self imposed stress, always striving for perfection( very stressful ).
    I'm not gonna stress if friday/Saturday doesn't go to plan, sure there's always next time.
    But that won't stop me from trying my best to achieve goal A.

Ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Very best of luck Ed - looking forward to hearing all about it

Have a good one Ed, it will be some experience I'm sure.
    Looking forward to reading all about it, enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck! I'd there any kind of tracking so we can see how you're getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Good luck Ed! Very impressive training!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Best of luck, enjoy the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

fantastic attitude as always, Ed... very best of luck with it!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Outside

Pretty new to your log ED but looks like you've a great block of training done recently, looking forward to following your progress, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

+1 to all the above - All the best and looking forward to hearing about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

chickey2 wrote: »
    tracking so we can see how you're getting on?
    @Nirunning and @energia24 on the Twitter machine

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Best of luck Ed - enjoy the experience of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

You're in great shape, hope you hit your target and enjoy it

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

I suspect you're on your way by now but am still popping in to wish you the very best, the universe knows you deserve it all to come together :) You're an example to us all the way you just grab a dream and do it :)

You're all very kind.
    Thanks very much.
    I'll do my best.

"Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen"

196km or 121.8 miles

8th place

24hrs is really hard

Extremely happy with run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

AMAZING Ed!!!
    Big congratulations !!! Can't wait to hear all about it.

You just get better and better... Well done you on such a great performance.
    "24hrs is really hard"... Words fail me :D:D

Recover well my friend, throw up a bit of a report at your leisure once you get a good feed and kip in..

well done again..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Great stuff. Saw the results yesterday evening & was delighted for you. Well done on covering that distance in the tough conditions.

Advertisement