Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast 24hr

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done Ed, stick up a report soon. Try and give as much detail as one of UM's tomes :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Ed Mc wrote: »
    196km or 121.8 miles

8th place

24hrs is really hard

Extremely happy with run
    Ososlo wrote: »
    AMAZING Ed!!!
    Big congratulations !!! Can't wait to hear all about it.

I think you just did :pac:

Seriously, well done Ed. You are amazing! Hope nothing too sore now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    I think you just did :pac:

Seriously, well done Ed. You are amazing! Hope nothing too sore now :)

ah no, we need to hear a bit more... whenever you have recovered! Congrats!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Well done! I'm in awe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

I've asked one of my crew to write my report and ill add to it. Might be an interesting perspective. Also they are the reason my race was successful.
    I may have exaggerated they are misfits but I wasn't expecting them to take the race as seriously as they did.They played such a major role in getting me through the difficult times and keeping me on target.

Legs are stiff and the back of the left knee is tight but other than that alls good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

196km or 121.8 miles

8th place

24hrs is really hard

Extremely happy with run

That's just amazing. I can't even begin to understand how far this is and how hard this must be. Unreal. Well done!
    I just run Marty, that's all. Lace up the runners and run. I put the head down, shut off and run. There's no real quality involved, Just mile after mile.

Impressive. I might just use that is my new running mantra!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Congratulations & well done Ed - can't even begin to comprehend a 24 hr race ! Any plans post recovery ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

kit3 wrote: »
    Any plans post recovery ?
    Women,booze,hookers,.....

Well done ed,super debut performance(I'm assuming the "never again" has gone)...

ultraman1 wrote:
    Well done ed,super debut performance(I'm assuming the "never again" has gone)...

"Never again"? I have no idea what you're talking about : )

Yeah didn't think I'd be saying this but already planning next year.
    Just need to break the news to my crew. Dinner and pints may not be payment enough next time.

• Advertisement

kit3 wrote:
    Any plans post recovery ?

Probably a half marathon then Dublin but I'll wait 'til i can walk up and down the stairs properly before booking anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Outside

Well done, great performance!
    *files log away in "How to train for 24 hour race"*

Kindly written by one of my crew members and far more accurate than
    I believe I could have ever recalled.*
    Cheers Duke, don't go booking your holidays next year without consulting me first.

*see attachment at the bottom for his report*

Edit 100k split 11:52

After a fairly sleepless night before and the drive to Belfast, getting camp organised etc standing on the start line of my first 24 hour race I already felt fairly tired.

I hadn't a concrete strategy in mind, just to run to begin. Although 11 min. mile was the target it felt really slow and kept it to 10 for the first hour or so. I was being lapped by alot of runners but knew I had to keep it slow and steady. I met um1 before the race who introduced me to Enduro. As Enduro lapped me he complemented my slow pace and encouraged me to take it easy.

I started the nutrition early taking on food after about 2 hours. Some chicken sandwich which actually caused some reflux so I gave them a miss until a sit down break. I took some protein bar, banana, carb drink, water, electrolyte all steady but small amounts. Hit the first marathon feeling good took a break for 10 mins and look forward to some hot pasta.
    We were into the night now and the temperature was dropping. I changed tshirt and added 2 long sleeves a hat and buff. Mentally I was fine just In run mode but I felt tired coming to the end of the second marathon. The night was short and I noticed a glimpse of dawn approaching around 4 or 5.
    I was looking forward to some heat and especially some hot porridge and honey.

After the second marathon and still running I took another 10 min break. But I felt tired, alot more tired than I expected to feel. I wanted to walk some but was encouraged out of the idea.

Back running and hit the 100k at 11 hrs 52 min. About 15 min behind schedule. Was chatting to um1 and told him I think the 200km is gone. Although I hit 100k in a slow time I felt really tired from the effort and couldn't see my continuing at the same rate.
    Come the end of the third marathon I was tired and looking forward to the break. My legs were nagging me and the back of my knee was aching. My crew were encouraging me to continue running the next section but all I wanted to do was run walk. So I ran.
    Food was going in steady, jaffa cakes, fig rolls, chicken sandwich, potatoes, carb drink electrolyte coconut water no worries there.
    At eighty miles I was pleading with the crew to walk but they successfully persuaded me too run until 100 miles. Had a great buzz around this time and felt alot less tired.
    Although the 200km was gone in my mind I still wanted to aim close. I figured I could get another 20 miles done before the finish and would be happy with that.
    At 20 hrs and 20 min.or so I got up off the chair from my final rest break a 100 mile runner, began a run 3 lap walk 1 lap strategy,my first time walking on the track.The knee was more uncomfortable on the walk sections but it didn't stop me from taking them. Although the next few hours dragged they were also enjoyable knowing we were in the last stages.

I wanted to do a sprint at the end, finish up strong and running.

As the final minutes were closing I was trying to judge it right, 5 mins left, no far too long to sprint, 3 mins left meh! Maybe a little longer. 2 mins left, was about to give it 30 more seconds when a runner in front went for it and a runner from behind sprints passed me, that's it bleedin leg it and I did. Felt great for those few seconds and that was it 24:00:00.

Wow what a report. And what a race, kudos to you for keeping going. I can't imagine it. I still want to hear what you remember if it too? You must have had some mad thoughts at times? What kept you going?

Great stuff!

annapr wrote:
    Wow what a report. And what a race, kudos to you for keeping going. I can't imagine it. I still want to hear what you remember if it too? You must have had some mad thoughts at times? What kept you going?

Just edited and added my own report as well.

Just edited and added my own report as well.

very cool! a sprint finish... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Well done Ed. That was a super debut. Your excellent finishing positioning in a very competitive field shows that you've got lots of ability. It sounds like your support crew were excellent, so kudos to them as well!

With the knowledge and experience you've gained from this you should be well able to give the 200km mark a good rattle the next time (and there'd better be a next time!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Wow - well done. Really want to give this a go some year - maybe next year, maybe after that.... well done again and if that's your debut, Enduro et al best get the fear :)

Sun 19th to Fri 24th
    Rest
    Was planning on taking 2 weeks off but come Friday it felt like long enough. The body felt back to normal.

Sat 25th
    6 miles @9:24
    Hr 135

Sun 26th
    8 miles @8:35
    Hr 141

Legs felt really good. A bit of rain both days so had no choice but to wear my new running jacket : )

Was pleased with the heart rate. Probably another couple of weeks of easy running and take it from there.

On a separate note.
    The brother will be finishing thunder run 24 at 12 noon. A tough looking 10k loop that makes Belfast look easy. #TR24 #allin24
    # thunder run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Ah so it's genetic ;)

• Advertisement

Ed Mc wrote:
    On a separate note. The brother will be finishing thunder run 24 at 12 noon. A tough looking 10k loop that makes Belfast look easy. #TR24 #allin24 # thunder run.

3rd place, redemption from his first 24hr at Glenmore 24 last year in Scotland ( a washout ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Hey Ed - do you mind me asking, what's your next adventure? CNM100?

nop98 wrote:
    Hey Ed - do you mind me asking, what's your next adventure? CNM100?

Ask anything you like I don't mind.

I want to do CNM100 in 2 weeks. I feel I could get around in the required time with change.
    I was even planning to run it getting to the last stages of registration a couple of days ago but I've come to realise it would be an exercise in egotism. Tick a box and move on and all that.

I'm keen to improve my running and don't believe this would have any benefit.

I'm going to recover well.
    Hopefully be in a position to give sub 3:10 a good wollop in Dublin.

Spend the rest of the year adding some quality and begin ultra training again in the new year.

I'm looking forward to the journey and plan on keeping the current log title.

But I also have a habit of changing my mind so don't go quoting me later.

Mon 27th
    Rest

Tue 28th
    8 miles @8:08
    Hr 151

Wed 29th
    8 miles @8:14
    Hr 166

Thurs 30th
    8 miles @8:18
    Hr 142

Fri 31st
    13.82 miles @8:57
    Hr 136

Don't normally have much to say about my runs but...

1. Nail through the runner, luckily didn't break skin( but it doesn't get any closer)
    2. Headphones stopped working.
    3. Dropped my mp3 player whilst fiddling with the wire subsequently stood on it breaking the buttons.
    4. Broke zip on my raincoat.

All in the space of a few minutes, was comical yet hard to believe.

Sat 1st
    5 miles @8:53
    Hr 137

Sun 2nd
    Rest

Mon 3rd
    Rest

Tue 4th
    8 miles @7:19
    Incl. 10 X 100m strides w / 100m jog rec.
    Exhilarating.

Wed 5th

11 miles @7:52

Thurs 6th
    5 miles @9:18

Fri 7th
    Rest

Sat 8th
    15 miles @7:19