Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death From Aboe 1979 - Academy 20th February

Options
  • 06-11-2014 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭

Just announced, and by god am i happy at this one. Tickets are €27.90, onsale Tuesday

Title should say February!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Saw these back in the day, tent at Oxygen. There was about 20 people. Sweating magic beans from the previous night, still focking rocked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Saw these back in the day, tent at Oxygen. There was about 20 people. Sweating magic beans from the previous night, still focking rocked it.

I skipped it...what was I thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Mushy wrote: »
    I skipped it...what was I thinking?

Thank your lucky stars you get to see them, gonna be a bone crushing gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

I landed in Dublin from america that morning. DFA1979 was the last band i saw before jetlag got me. Was in that building, and yeah not many people there.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

that gig at oxegen was deadly. dave grohl was standing behind me watching them. as soon as people started recognising him he legged it. i spent all day in that tent until the foos came on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I was there, was when GreenDay headlined as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

siblers wrote: »
    I was there, was when GreenDay headlined as far as I remember.
    foo fighters headlined. green day was the year before

• Registered Users Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭siblers

foo fighters headlined. green day was the year before

Same year, 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

The Oxegen gig was magic, and even all these years later I still look back at it with joy. This gig being 5 days before my birthday, just makes me smile like a goon!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Saw them at Oxegen too.. we had only gone into the tent to get out of the sun. Picked up two tickets this morning, missed their US tour by a day and didn't think they would play here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Not long now, I've never seen DFA before or a proper heavy rock band in the Academy for that matter so should be an interesting night!

Are Turbowolf worth going in early for?

lc180 wrote: »
    Not long now, I've never seen DFA before or a proper heavy rock band in the Academy for that matter so should be an interesting night!

Are Turbowolf worth going in early for?

Yes, they are. Nothing fancy, but good tunes delivered well and will get you in the mood. It may go a bit if singer does same as rock werchter last year, but it's good.

Mushy wrote: »
    Yes, they are. Nothing fancy, but good tunes delivered well and will get you in the mood. It may go a bit if singer does same as rock werchter last year, but it's good.

And after all of this, I got them mixed up for Reignwolf:o Turbowolf do sound good enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Great gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Raoul

Went in at 8.30. Didn't even realise that there was a support act. Really enjoyed the gig. Went with my gf who isn't into heavy rock (mate let me down not being able to go). But really enjoyed it. One of my fav bands. I was surprised it was sold out though in a way since I never hear people talking about them.

So much better than expected, crowd was mental, thank christ I'm not beside a stranger on bus to Cork. Worth the 10 year wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Saw them at Oxegen 10 years ago, and in those 10 years they haven't missed a beat. Unbelievable gig, and what an atmosphere! Seriously, the second the opening sample for Turn It Out started they had the crowd in their hands.

Although I really want to know the rest of that Edge story! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Quick summary of last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

we had a great laugh watching the bouncers pointing at people and expecting them to calm down by pointing at them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ts_editor

Some goon, in the Belfast pit, tossed a drink which sloshed Seb right across the face. He finished the song without missing a beat, but was pissed. He called out the guy and asked the others to point him out so security could kick him out.
    Don't think anybody touted and the show went on. No more banter, but the intensity was at 11.

Cue the rare tweet a short while after the gig: Belfast, let's be friends.

• Advertisement

quaidox wrote: »
    we had a great laugh watching the bouncers pointing at people and expecting them to calm down by pointing at them!!

They were redundant from the word go. I can be clearly seen in that video too before the madness takes over. Fond memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Stretchryan

Looking forward to seen them in luxembourg next week

Advertisement