Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small meeting room setup with Video

Options
  • 06-11-2014 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi all,

I've been tasked with setting up our office meeting room.

We've an office of 9 people in Cork and some people in Berlin.
    We need to setup the room for meetings and conference calls.

- Requirements:
    - Display our screen on a TV for presentations
    - Video calls to our other offices. Skype/ Google Hangouts

Can anyone give me some good suggestions on what to get to allow us to do the 2 things above.

We have a laptop in the meeting room we use.

I was thinking of something like a 42" TV on the wall with a Chromecast so we can just cast our screen onto the TV.

Also buy some good Webcam / Microphone for the calls.

Any ideas?

We're very open to any setups/technologies.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Size of room? Budget? Are your requirements for multiple protocols or can you lock down to a specific one(hangouts/skype)? Whats your network setup, wired/wireless, QOS, bandwidth? Whats the technical level of the dumbest person using it?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 NoelOC

Thanks for the response.

The room is around 12ft X 20ft so average enough.
    We could lock down to just use Hangouts for our calls.
    Budget around €800 but could be convinced to spent more if the technology justified the price.

The whole office is wireless, there is also CAT5 cabling on all the walls so wired it also an option.

Currently on 20mb Eircom line but a 100mb UPC fiber line is being installed in the next few days.

The lowest technical skill would still be quite good.
    Youngish office, in our 20's, 30's using PC/Mac/Devices for years.

A interesting option is your chromecast idea. For 35 Euro and a monitor, you could easily set it up and try it out before implementing a more permanent setup. Cons are that its heavily reliant on the wifi network, and the device encoding the video stream. I can also see some issues with camera placement, audio feedback(TV speaker to microphone) and general use of the TV outside of video conferencing. For example, I would like to share my powerpoint presentation on the TV outside of a online meeting. Chrome cast makes that easy in a tab on the browser, its difficulty rises outside that environment.

A simple option would be a TV on the wall with a camera on top. Run a HDMI, USB and 3.5mm cable to the desk. Keep in mind HDMI starts to fail around 20 feet plus with half decent cables. Put a USB conference mic on the table.Then plug a laptop in and duplicate the screen, sound out of the TV, decent room view from the camera and decent audio from the table. Very easy to use. Your also not limited to hangouts only. Cons are that its messy visually, more prone to breakage(cables mainly) and could have setup issues. The onboard microphones remaining active, onboard cameras taking priority. It does open the room up to more opportunity.

A more professional option would probably be two TV's mounted and a chromebox setup. I think including the screens, webcam, desk mic and cables you would be pushed to meet your budget. But it would function on a level very close to 20-60k video setups. Cons would be its complicated to setup, expensive in overall cost and wouldn't naturally be easy to use for anything but hangouts.

You can of course mix and match, run cables with a chromecast or the chromebox setup.

For a webcam, I'd buy Logitech. I've seen a 50k install use 1 of these recently. I found that very funny at the time.

I'd consider something like this for the desk. I would avoid onboard speakers on most things, laptops, webcams etc. They are always extremely directional.

Oh! That's great thanks!

I never thought of using a Chromebox as part of the setup.

I see there is Chromebox for meetings :
    google.com/chrome/business/solutions/for-meetings.html (Sorry can't link yet)

However, it's showing as $999 for a starting price without a TV which seems crazy given that a Chromebox is only around $170.
    I know it comes with a camera/mic but it still seems expensive.

I was looking at the Logitech camera already, I was thinking of choosing that anyway.

Here's what I'm think now based on your advice:
    LG 42" LED TV wall mounted - €429
    Chromebox on the table with a Keyboard/Mouse and a HDMI cable to the TV - €160
    Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 usb to Chromebox - €99
    MXL AC 404 Microphone usb to Chromebox - €90
    1 x Chromecast for casting from any screen in the office since it's cheap anyway €35

Total = €813

We already have some HDMI cables and spare mouse/keyboard

What do you think of that setup?

Since it's ChromeOS would there be issues with using the Mic/Cam
    Not sure how drivers work on ChomeOS

Thanks again for your help.

NoelOC wrote: »
    Oh! That's great thanks!

I never thought of using a Chromebox as part of the setup.

I see there is Chromebox for meetings :
    google.com/chrome/business/solutions/for-meetings.html (Sorry can't link yet)

However, it's showing as $999 for a starting price without a TV which seems crazy given that a Chromebox is only around $170.
    I know it comes with a camera/mic but it still seems expensive.

Its a package setup, including support and a subscription to a better version of hangouts I believe. The unit itself is also much more powerful.

1 x Chromecast for casting from any screen in the office since it's cheap anyway €35

Total = €813

We already have some HDMI cables and spare mouse/keyboard

What do you think of that setup?

Since it's ChromeOS would there be issues with using the Mic/Cam
    Not sure how drivers work on ChomeOS

Thanks again for your help.

Looks good. I can't find any examples where USB mics didn't work on a Chromebook, since its the same OS you would assume it has the same universal USB support.

• Advertisement

Its a package setup, including support and a subscription to a better version of hangouts I believe. The unit itself is also much more powerful.

You're right, a standard Chromebox should cover our needs pretty well.

Looks good. I can't find any examples where USB mics didn't work on a Chromebook, since its the same OS you would assume it has the same universal USB support.

Ya, I presumed it would be ok alright. You're usually pretty safe with USB devices these days.

Okay, I'm going to pull the trigger and order that setup tomorrow.

Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions.

I have one other question.

Is there much of a difference between a Chromebox Vs a Chromebook?

Since there are similar in price and a someone could use the Chromebook as a laptop in the room for one to one meetings about stuff?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

I recently setup a meeting room similar to what you are looking for.

I would avoid Chromecast. Correct me if I am wrong but Hangouts doesn’t have built in casting and no longer opens within the "traditional" Chrome browser which means you have to do some workarounds to cast it. On top of that you have to install the Chromecast plugins on all the computers, it is subject to Wi-Fi problems and can lag. There is a lot to be said for just plugging in a HDMI / VGA cable.

For the recent setup I did, the TV is wall mounted at the end of the table. As not everyone in the office have laptops there is a micro-pc mounted beside the TV. It is HDMI connected to the TV and then there is another VGA cable running to the table for anyone who wants to use their laptops. The room and table have cable management so it is very nice and tidy.

The webcam sits on top of the TV. I have used both the Logitech HD Pro C920 and the Microsoft LifeCam Studio. The Logitech is the better webcam but we are actually using the Microsoft one at the moment (the C920 does 1080p but most people can’t receive this and the LifeCam has a wider view that just suits the layout of the room).

As has already been said stay away from the built in mic. We have on the table a MXL AC 404 mic which works a treat.

One thing to mention is that both Skype and Hangouts are consumer products. Although they have improved in features a lot in recent years they lack some of the nice business features found in the high-end professional offerings from Cisco, etc.

You should have a look into Microsoft Lync. It has some very nice features which can be found in high end products but without the high price tag. We have Skype and Hangouts installed on the micro-pc but use Lync for most of our conference calls.

The webcam and mic were about €100 each (even less now), the PC I already had but probably costs no more than €250, few euro for cables, TV was an old one from the bosses home and Microsoft Lync is part of our Office 365 subscription. All-in-all it’s a very nice setup for our needs and not very expensive.

I have one other question.

Is there much of a difference between a Chromebox Vs a Chromebook?

Since there are similar in price and a someone could use the Chromebook as a laptop in the room for one to one meetings about stuff?

Thanks

More choice from Chromebooks as there is only one Chromebox on the market. Other than the difference in any specs they are the same.

Ya, I presumed it would be ok alright. You're usually pretty safe with USB devices these days.

Can't speak across the range of USB devices but I have used my USB headset with my Chromebook without issues.

• Advertisement

Total = €813

If you are decided on Hangouts and assuming no compatibility issues then this setup seems real nice. Please post an update once installed ;)

Thanks -

I was thinking of going for the Acer Chromebook C720 instead of a Chromebox since it gives a little more flexibility in meetings.

It can be used as just a laptop but I will also have HDMI cable to the TV with the Logitech HD Pro USB Camera and a USB mic.

I tested using Hangouts through a Chromecast in my house last night, it works 'Okayish' but not good enough for a business level.
    I do agree, straight forward cables are always a safer bet than anything wireless.

How about this mic : elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MMEQ710610

It's a mic/speaker or would I be better off with the MXL AC 404 and just play the sound through the TV?

Thanks -

I was thinking of going for the Acer Chromebook C720 instead of a Chromebox since it gives a little more flexibility in meetings.

Can a chromebook do external screen only and allow you to fold the screen? Other then that, with a Chromebox your paying for connections(add a second TV in future, LAN connection etc) and the ease of mounting it out of the way.
    I tested using Hangouts through a Chromecast in my house last night, it works 'Okayish' but not good enough for a business level.

Thanks for the update, again for 35 Euros it was worth a try. They may implement a direct hangouts app for it in future.
    I do agree, straight forward cables are always a safer bet than anything wireless.

Yep. Wireless is not the godsend people think it is.
    How about this mic : elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MMEQ710610

Jabra make good voip products.
    It's a mic/speaker or would I be better off with the MXL AC 404 and just play the sound through the TV?

I'd go the TV speakers route regardless. Reason for this is the overall experience. When somebody on a TV is speaking, the sound should originate from there. Otherwise communication becomes disjointed, with a disembodied voice speaking from the middle of a table.

I wouldn't bother with VGA, as of this year you will struggle to find models that even have it. HDMI with a displayport adapter at the end will do 99% of machines.

I pulled the trigger earlier and order the pieces I wanted.

Decided to go for a Chromebox in the end.
    Chromebook's didn't have a internet jack so I'd prefer to be wired for Video calls.

I went for ASUS Chromebox M031U (4GB ram version)
    Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920
    JABRA SPEAK 410 UC

Everything should be here by Tuesday. I'll post pics of the setup and let you know how well it performs.
    Our connection got updated to fiber today so now we're on 100mbps.

Next I need to get a TV and wall mount.
    I was planning on going to Harvey Normans or PC World etc and seeing what they had.

Any suggestions for a TV?

I pulled the trigger earlier and order the pieces I wanted.

Decided to go for a Chromebox in the end.
    Chromebook's didn't have a internet jack so I'd prefer to be wired for Video calls.

I went for ASUS Chromebox M031U (4GB ram version)
    Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920
    JABRA SPEAK 410 UC

Everything should be here by Tuesday. I'll post pics of the setup and let you know how well it performs.
    Our connection got updated to fiber today so now we're on 100mbps.

Next I need to get a TV and wall mount.
    I was planning on going to Harvey Normans or PC World etc and seeing what they had.

Any suggestions for a TV?

Can't recommend Sharp LED's enough, we have around 600 of them over 3 generations globally and have a 0% failure rate so far.

All the parts are coming today.

Still need to get a TV to mount on the wall but that will be in the next day or two.

Once I have it set up I'll post back how it performs.

Thanks for all your help.

Advertisement