Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chromecast UPC problems..

• 06-11-2014 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Bought my girlfriend a Chromecast yesterday as she loves netflix and her computer is crap ..
    Youtube works fine casting from her iphone 5 but netflix doesnt work .. It keeps throwing up error 104 ..
    Anyone know if its something in the UPC router settings or is it generally a bug on Netflix/chromecasts end ? Thanks ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Can you check what version firmware is on the chromecast, you should see this by using the chromecast app on your phone.

If it was just bought it may not have updated yet.

The newest is 19084

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Decky86

rogercross wrote: »
    Can you check what version firmware is on the chromecast, you should see this by using the chromecast app on your phone.

The newest is 19084

Good start . Will do that this evening .. Has anyone ever heard of problems connecting to Netflix?

I've seen issues where netflix has been broken if the newest published FW wasn't on the chromecast, a sort of mismatch between the google play version on your phone and what the chromecast has perhaps.

If the firmware needs to update it should do so over the next day or two, no real way of forcing it as far as i know.

Another important thing to note is that netflix US will not stream to your chromecast using a UPC router, so if for example you had a DNS service entered on your phone/tablet to gain access to the US netflix or another region other than the irish one, you'd be able to browse the catalog but if you were to try casting anything it would fail.

I've seen issues where netflix has been broken if the newest published FW wasn't on the chromecast, a sort of mismatch between the google play version on your phone and what the chromecast has perhaps.

If the firmware needs to update it should do so over the next day or two, no real way of forcing it as far as i know.

Ah so it updates itself if its left plugged in? .. Seems an oversight you cant just update it via USB

• Advertisement

It does yea,

There isn't really any way of forcing it to upgrade, some have said before that factory wiping it and setting it up from scratch has triggered an update check when it first connects to the internet, but it will update on its own within a few days.

To reset it you can do it one of 2 ways:

1. Hold down the button (next to the micro USB port) on your Chromecast for at least 25 seconds or until the solid light begins flashing. Then disconnect the USB power cable. Wait a few seconds. Connect the USB cable again. This will factory reset Chromecast (factory data reset).

2. Via the chromecast app on your phone itself, tap the menu button, you will see the information on your Chromecast, and a popup window which will include the option to factory reset it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Check that the Netflix app is uptade itself too

It does yea,

There isn't really any way of forcing it to upgrade, some have said before that factory wiping it and setting it up from scratch has triggered an update check when it first connects to the internet, but it will update on its own within a few days.

To reset it you can do it one of 2 ways:

1. Hold down the button (next to the micro USB port) on your Chromecast for at least 25 seconds or until the solid light begins flashing. Then disconnect the USB power cable. Wait a few seconds. Connect the USB cable again. This will factory reset Chromecast (factory data reset).

2. Via the chromecast app on your phone itself, tap the menu button, you will see the information on your Chromecast, and a popup window which will include the option to factory reset it.

Its now working aparently:) thanks for the responses guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JOHNSA77

Hi,

I just got a new TV so I could use my chromecast on it.

I've gone through lots of threads but can't seem to get it to work (i've updated the software on the chromecast).

My wifi is through UPC Horizon and I have a Silvercrest wifi extender so I'm not sure if they are the issue. The wifi is set to the 2.4Ghz as I heard the 5 Ghz can cause problems.

Does anyone know how I could go about resolving it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

What part doesn't work? Need more info to help.
    Can you move it closer to UPC Horizon WiFi to rule out the extender. Try get it working on that first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement