Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is my pump gone?

• 06-11-2014 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Hey

So I have 3 zones (2 for radiators and 1 for water). Downstairs and water are working fine. Upstairs has stopped working.

I turned off the other zones last night and only switched on upstairs - the boiler switched on and started working away but still no heat upstairs - I checked under the boiler, there are 3 pumps 1 for each zone I assume, the middle one which looks like it heads upstairs was scalding hot but the pipe leading out of there was not - so I am assuming the pump isn't working as it wasn't pumping - does that sound about right in terms of finding the problem?

due to get a service on the boiler so if so then hopefully they can change the pump too.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Any air (or even water) in the upstairs rads? What is cold and hot pressure on your system?
    Pump should be checked for air and to see if its turning, but check above.
    Pump also needs to be checked to see if it is being called upon to supply those rads.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Wearb wrote: »
    Any air (or even water) in the upstairs rads? What is cold and hot pressure on your system?
    Pump should be checked for air and to see if its turning, but check above.
    Pump also needs to be checked to see if it is being called upon to supply those rads.

Should be water at least in the rads, will check - it worked the other week ok.

How do I check for cold and hot pressure? and re the pump checks I assume I need someone who knows what they are doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

This happened me last year and I ended up messing around with the boiler and ending up doing more damage!
    In my case the plumber turned on the boiler and the zone switch that is not working. Turn off the downstairs switch.
    Then with a flat head screwdriver he unscrewed the screw in the middle of the pump fully. Then using the screwdriver he began twisting clockwise in where the screw was to kick start the pump. Make sure the switch and boiler are on.
    He did this a few times and sure enough the pump starting spinning inside again.

Let me know if this works.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Should be water at least in the rads, will check - it worked the other week ok.

How do I check for cold and hot pressure? and re the pump checks I assume I need someone who knows what they are doing?

I am assuming its a sealed system and there should be a pressure vessel (probably like a large red metal football ) a pressure gauge (like a large pocket watch) and a way of supplying mains water near that gauge. It would help eliminate some problems to know the cold and hot readings in this gauge.

Checking the pump and it's electrics needs a little expertise.
    Be careful not to scald yourself if following the advice (above) on freeing up the pump. Nothing wrong with that advice for someone with a little skill.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Advertisement