Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New shower problem

• 06-11-2014 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes. We got a new power shower fitted last week, the Mira vigour thermostatic. Experiencing a few problems with it though; firstly it doesn't seem to be heating the water properly. It has eight settings, 1-6 would be coldish and 7 and 8 are both warm but not hot, not hot enough to create steam anyways and nowhere near as hot as the shower we has previous to this. The taps in the sink and bath are heating the water fine so it's just the shower.

Secondly it's using all the water at an alarming rate. I would have the immersion on for an hour before my shower and maybe the oil heating on too, I'd have the immersion switched to bath so to heat more water but I'm finding all the water is used in about twenty minutes. So after twenty minutes in the shower all the *hot* water is gone despite not actually having had a hot shower. What could be the problem here? Going to call the plumber this evening but id like to have an idea myself before ringing him. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

anna080 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes. We got a new power shower fitted last week, the Mira vigour thermostatic. Experiencing a few problems with it though; firstly it doesn't seem to be heating the water properly. It has eight settings, 1-6 would be coldish and 7 and 8 are both warm but not hot, not hot enough to create steam anyways and nowhere near as hot as the shower we has previous to this. The taps in the sink and bath are heating the water fine so it's just the shower.

Secondly it's using all the water at an alarming rate. I would have the immersion on for an hour before my shower and maybe the oil heating on too, I'd have the immersion switched to bath so to heat more water but I'm finding all the water is used in about twenty minutes. So after twenty minutes in the shower all the *hot* water is gone despite not actually having had a hot shower. What could be the problem here? Going to call the plumber this evening but id like to have an idea myself before ringing him. Thanks

The vigour pumps 14 litres per minute. 20 minute shower is 280 litres!!! I'd hate to have to pay your water bill when it's metered.

It's possible that the thermostatic cartridge is faulty & this would be covered under the warranty.

It's more likely not the shower at all. Is the water in the basin taps hot?

Hang on, I just had a thought. Bet you didn't read the owner manual. :-)

Turn temperature dial as hot as it goes. Now @ 9 o clock there is a red (anti scald device) button. Push this in and you can turn the dial further around making the water hotter.

Enjoy your hot shower now. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

You were right! I pushed in the red button and the dial went further and the water got hotter. Still can't believe how much water it uses though. With my old shower I could turn on the immersion at the sink setting for an hour and have enough hot water for a long shower and some left over; this I have it on bath setting for an hour and oil on too and it goes after fifteen mins. Crazy, but I guess I'll have to get used to it. My old one was very old but the dial had broken off so I decided to replace it altogether as I was using a pliers to move the dial! It was the best shower I'd ever used these new ones are a suck on the water. Thanks for your response.

anna080 wrote: »
    You were right! I pushed in the red button and the dial went further and the water got hotter. Still can't believe how much water it uses though. With my old shower I could turn on the immersion at the sink setting for an hour and have enough hot water for a long shower and some left over; this I have it on bath setting for an hour and oil on too and it goes after fifteen mins. Crazy, but I guess I'll have to get used to it. My old one was very old but the dial had broken off so I decided to replace it altogether as I was using a pliers to move the dial! It was the best shower I'd ever used these new ones are a suck on the water. Thanks for your response.

The outer dial, the one for turning on the water, when turned on all the way uses 14 litres. If you turn it half way it uses 10 litres.

Glad I could help. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Why is a power shower using the hot water from your hot water cylinder?

Don't power showers heat the water themselves on an 'as needed' basis?

Why is a power shower using the hot water from your hot water cylinder?

Don't power showers heat the water themselves on an 'as needed' basis?

A power shower pumps (minimum of 10 litres) heated water from the hot press.

An electric shower heats the water but only pumps out 3 to 5 litres per minute as it can't heat it any faster than this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    A power shower pumps (minimum of 10 litres) heated water from the hot press.

An electric shower heats the water but only pumps out 3 to 5 litres per minute as it can't heat it any faster than this.

Ah,

I saw Mira, and assumed an electric shower (I thought a power shower was the same thing) and I thought it was called a pumped shower (which is what I have)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

lost me and i have a mira and triton and both heat the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I think you can get restrictors to go in the hose to reduce water flow.

greasepalm wrote: »
    lost me and i have a mira and triton and both heat the water.

Yes but triton have over 200 different model showers. Mira have about 150. Some heat the water some don't.

For a shower to be considered a power shower it has to pump minimum of 10 litres per minute.

Obviously an electric shower couldn't possibly heat the water fast enough to pump out 10 litres.

jca wrote: »
    I think you can get restrictors to go in the hose to reduce water flow.

Yes you can but they are not suitable for electric showers. Electric showers don't use much water anyway.

They are suitable for power showers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I was posting to the op.

Advertisement