Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great charity shop finds

• 06-11-2014 2:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭

For some strange reason some people are very embarrassed about buying clothes from a charity shop (probably more men than women though) but personally I love nothing more than going into my local ones on a Saturday Morning and rummaging through the racks for a little gem of a find. Lately I've become interested in vintage style dresses with cuts and patterns that you wouldn't normally find on the high street and charity shops are full of them and lots of the dresses are really nice, very unique and sell for a pittance. Here's two I found last weekend (face blurred for obvious reasons).

This one cost me €8, It's a simple little red satin dress that fits perfectly considering I'm 6 foot tall. I was really delighted with it.

RedDress2_zpsb7b99422.jpg

This I love as well, cost me €4.50 and although the picture doesn't show it well the colours in the pattern are purple, pink, blue and white and it looks kind of like loads of butterflies. The belt didn't come with it but I found a belt that matched it perfectly in the same shop (exact same colour pink). The shoulders are padded as well which I haven't seen in years. When it's on it looks like a dress from the 50's/60's

Vinatge1_zps07c60b75.jpg

So have you discovered the joys of charity shops and if so have you had any good finds?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭jeanrose770

Ahhhh I love thrift shopping. I grew up going every weekend with either my mom or my aunt. So I guess it is kind of a traditional habit. I call it "treasure hunting", it is true, you do find gems some times! ....and for killer prices! Happy hunting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

I really enjoy charity shopping, I buy a lot of my clothes in them and have gotten some great stuff in the past. I got a jumper about 2 years ago for a fiver that I pretty much live in during the winter as it's lovely and warm, still in great shape too. Have gotten some lovely dresses in the past too. One that sticks out is a formal calf-length strapless dress that I got for just €6. I wore it to a college ball and got loads of compliments on it! People were shocked when they heard where I bought it and how little it cost :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

I love the way it is more relaxed than clothes shopping in the high street, normally if you are going out normal clothes shopping you are looking for a full outfit so have to go from shop to shop trying to find a top that will go with your new skirt etc whereas in a charity shop it's more casual shopping so you might see a top and although you have nothing that will match it now can still buy it because it is so cheap and keep it in your wardrobe until you find something to match it at a later date and you don't feel like it is sitting there going to waste or was a waste of money. Half my wardrobe consists of clothes that are waiting for that perfect match :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

In my local Oxfam recently I got a beautiful purple Zara dress that is 100% silk. It cost €5 I think.

In another shop I got a black wrap around chiffon New Look dress for €6 and its gorgeous.

I don't often find stuff in my local charity shops but I have no problem buying or admitting I buy in there, they are exactly the same as others shops, and eBay but the money goes to charity.

I buy on eBay too and people seem to think its great for bargains etc. yet mention a charity shop and their face changes. I don't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Got a lovely Warehouse A-line skirt in a charity shop for £3 earlier this year, had just nipped in while my OH went to the bookies next door! Love a sneaky bargain like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I got a pair of irregular choice heels, which are usually minimum €150 in the shops, for €5 in an animal rescues charity shop! Delighted was an understatement :) I also picked up a warehouse dress which still had tags attached, it was €89.95 and I got it for €15 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've always loved charity shops. My best find ever was a YSL Rive Gauche red suede pencil skirt for €7!

To balance out the good karma, we recently moved house and I donated lots(!!) of shoes, clothes & accessories. Lots of them in great shape too. For instance, I gave two pairs of Asics Onitsuka Tiger boxing boots to the St Vincent's in Rathmines. Hope someone enjoyed finding those

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

SingItOut wrote: »
    I got a pair of irregular choice heels, which are usually minimum €150 in the shops, for €5 in an animal rescues charity shop! Delighted was an understatement :) I also picked up a warehouse dress which still had tags attached, it was €89.95 and I got it for €15 :)

Yeah I've found a fair amount of stuff with the tags still attached, the best time for those finds is January, I don't know whether it's because people are feeling charitable for Christmas and just buy something extra with the purpose of donating, just giving away unwanted presents or donating things they bought in the January sales but when they got home realise they didn't like so give it away rather than going to the bother of returning it (probably can't anyway since it was on sale)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I've donated to charity shops, we had a big clear out earlier this year and was split between two charities. TBH I never really think to go in to buy something myself. I like that some charity shops are making more of an effort with their appearances, window displays etc but for a long time they just looked very drab and uncared for and just didn't seem appealing. A charity shop in our town moved to a bigger brighter premises so when I have time I will go in for a gander.

Edit: There's a shop in Dublin called Siopaella - it has great little finds, bit more expensive and high end but I have got a great Savida top I wear a lot for work and got hubbie a lovely shirt, don't know make but it looks really well on him!

Advertisement