Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity workers on Dublin's streets

Options
  • 06-11-2014 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Before I am misconstrued as being disrespectful or insensitive, I am going to start this post by saying that I am completely in favour of charity and protecting our more vulnerable people here and around the world. I have done extensive, hands-on, unpaid work with the Special Olympics and Enable Ireland. I plan on going on a volunteering trip next year to Vietnam to help and educate underprivileged families, for which I will be covering most of the costs by myself, from my own pocket.

However, that being said, does anyone else agree with me that these charity workers on Dublin's streets who try to stop you in your stride and take your bank details are a little bit of a hindrance? In general they seem to manage to stop you even if you have some extremely important place to be in two minutes on the other side of the city.

Usually I try not to pay attention to them but today was the last straw. I had come from my college to grab a cup of coffee, and to collect my thoughts in preparation for an exam that I had an hour later. This is not exaggerated, I was sitting outside Starbucks with my cup of coffee and my textbooks, reading away when a worker caught my eye, came over to me and started trying fervently to sign me up. Unknown to her she was completely interrupting my flow of reading. Already tired from studying for the past week, she was oblivious to how debilitating my trying desperately to end the conversation and move on with my reading actually was. Finally when she left, I had to take my stuff and move in anticipation of another worker in the vicinity doing the same thing (3 more were within my sight).

I fully understand that these people are just trying to make a living like anyone else, but surely the bosses at the charities should have more sense? Surely there are more effective ways to raise funds, that will raise their PR? I hardly think they believe that many same people are gonna stop what their doing first to talk about the cause, and on top of that give away the details to their bank accounts, potentially containing thousands of euro, to someone that they have just met and may not trust?

I have donated to many charities for many causes, more than I can even count on my two hands, but none of them include charities who have tried to sign me up this way. I think that this tactic backfires on the charities, as people will actually get irritated by it and overall it will tarnish the name of the charity, while wasting the company's resources to do it. These resources would be much better spend on more intelligent fundraising initiatives.

Let me know your thoughts.

Rant over.

- anishboi :):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Domonator

I just tell them that I'm not concerned(get it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Would prefer if they had a bucket to put some loose change in
    Bit much asking for a direct debit every month, especially when the next day theres another charity asking for the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,881 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

They should all be shot!

Sorry was reading the daily mail. They're a pest alright but a firm no usually does the job, they essentially take advantage of people being polite, making eye contact and responding to a greeting. You don't have to be rude (although that is fun).

Anyway yeah, they should all be castrated and shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I agree completely with you anishboi.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

You gave them more time than they deserved. I wouldn't have looked up, a simple not interested in a firm tone usually does the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Laziest form of fundraising.

I've worked for charities in the past (travelled to Kenya 3 times with CARA Projects, great charity) and to raise the €3000 each time I had to bagpack in Dunnes on New Years eve from 8am-11pm 3 days in a row. Plus we walked barefoot to school and up Croagh Patrick and did a door-to-door sponsorship. The lads standing on the street actually cost more money to the charities I reckon to pay for the high-vis jackets and pay someone's hours while they put in the request forms to fund-raise.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭anishboi

No Makeup Selfies and Ice Bucket Challenges are examples of intelligent initiatives and are the future of charity fundraising.

Look how much the Cancer Society and ALS Foundation raised through those campaigns.

The latter received 115 million dollars from the campaign, I believe.

I donated to the Cancer Society for their campaign.

I know it's wrong to only support a cause when they have a good campaign, you should support it because you believe it's necessary and morally something should be done to help the people concerned. But there are many alternative charities promoting the same cause that don't repel potential donators.

I support a cause, not a particular charity. So if one charity doesn't give me what I believe is right, I can find another one that will help me contribute to the same cause that I believe in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Most of the city centre chuggers are run by one company who have 6 or 7 contracts with the large charities to raise on their behalf that is why you often see the same people in different out fits there day after day. There is a code of conduct they are meant to follow but they clearly don't give a dam about that. They aren't meant to obstruct anyone and aren't meant to follow anyone which they clearly do every day. There is a plan in place to vastly restrict what they are allowed to do with the aim being that they are essentially only allowed to set up a market trader style stall to offer information and that they can try get sign ups from so they could no longer take the tactical street spread approach they take now where its next to impossible to talk down Henry/Grafton St without going within a few feet of one of them. This morning the Gards were asked if there was anything they can do but because they are licensed their hands are tied if they are standing outside a business that business can get the Gardai to move them on if they are an obstruction but other than that there is little they can do.

jimmii wrote: »
    Most of the city centre chuggers are run by one company who have 6 or 7 contracts with the large charities to raise on their behalf that is why you often see the same people in different out fits there day after day. There is a code of conduct they are meant to follow but they clearly don't give a dam about that. They aren't meant to obstruct anyone and aren't meant to follow anyone which they clearly do every day. There is a plan in place to vastly restrict what they are allowed to do with the aim being that they are essentially only allowed to set up a market trader style stall to offer information and that they can try get sign ups from so they could no longer take the tactical street spread approach they take now where its next to impossible to talk down Henry/Grafton St without going within a few feet of one of them. This morning the Gards were asked if there was anything they can do but because they are licensed their hands are tied if they are standing outside a business that business can get the Gardai to move them on if they are an obstruction but other than that there is little they can do.

I heard a story from a friend in Sligo who got followed to the bank after saying she had no money to donate. After she came from the bank, the worker said "now you have money can you donate"?

Totally ridiculous.

anishboi wrote: »
    I heard a story from a friend in Sligo who got followed to the bank after saying she had no money to donate. After she came from the bank, the worker said "now you have money can you donate"?

Totally ridiculous.

Thats unreal! That is something they have agreed not to do and I think in that case that is harassment and should be reported to the police as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

They acutely put me off certain streets when I am in town, after dodging them all afternoon I went for a drink in Grogans and sat outside as soon as I sat down a crowed of R beggars and began to look for money at that stage I nearly gave up.

I cant understand why Primetime or a program like that hasn't done an investigation on the whole chuggers scam that's going on in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

why not just ignore them? why give them the time of day at all?

Beano wrote: »

Thats the problem they are following people some times they see being ignored as a challenge and hassle people until they relent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

People have the right to walk the streets of Dublin with our being harassed in anyway and while I always ignore them it gets tiresome when walking down one street you are approached 4 or 5 time by different chuggers.

I also believe chuggers should be banned, I have no objection to unpaid/voluntary charity collectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

jimmii wrote: »
    Thats the problem they are following people some times they see being ignored as a challenge and hassle people until they relent.

a polite "f*ck off" would suffice in that situation . Thought a simple and firm "No" has always worked for me.

a polite "f*ck off" would suffice in that situation . Thought a simple and firm "No" has always worked for me.

I tend to not get hassled by them maybe I look very poor or something! I'm amazed anyone stops for them but clearly they do. If everyone just stopped signing up then they would stop being on the streets seems an easy enough way to stop it!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

I just say "No, enjoy your day" to them and don't stop walking.

It bugs me that a stranger greets me with a smile and a "How are you?" when they just want to dip me for their commission.
    (Probably because I have this attitude, most of the chuggers I meet daily look at me, and then look for someone else to prey upon)
    I did up for a dd with a charity, but not via a chugger.

I reckon they target people that look kind and maybe soft, and work on them. Don't know if I'm right on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I find Amnesty International cult like in their determination to get you to donate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

The same chugger I have seen for the past few months at the top of Grafton street is now working from Tesco in Jervis street shopping centre. Why tesco allow a paid 'charity worker' in the store is beyond me.

I have to admit to telling some to pee off especially the overly enthusiastic ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Vermin, if any of these chuggers knew how close they were to a punch in the face, they would lay off their arm flapping smiley faced, can I talk to you a moment nonsense, and reflect on what direction life is taking them. As it stands, its the Matter

I can be corrected but to my knowledge, the collection company earns the first 2 years subscription money then the rest is given to the charity.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

The charity only gets a small percentage of what these people collect from what I believe, as low as 10% in some cases which I believe which is crazy when you see how difficult it is for some charities to raise money in the current climate and with all the negative publicity surround some of the scandals lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Totally ridiculous.

Chuggers don't take cash off people.

The Hanley Centre and the various junkie god cults are the only ones that ever look for cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    The charity only gets a small percentage of what these people collect from what I believe, as low as 10% in some cases which I believe which is crazy when you see how difficult it is for some charities to raise money in the current climate and with all the negative publicity surround some of the scandals lately.

Most of the charities employ their own chuggers who get a percentage for everyone they sign up. The charity get the rest. It obviously works well for them as does the door to door chugging. I'm no fan of them myself but if it works it works I suppose.

Ranchu wrote: »
    Most of the charities employ their own chuggers who get a percentage for everyone they sign up. The charity get the rest. It obviously works well for them as does the door to door chugging. I'm no fan of them myself but if it works it works I suppose.

In Dublin its run by an agency based near henry st they run it for a good few large charities I'd imagine they are racking it in.

These people are driven by commission, not by the cause itself. The more people they sign, the more money they earn. I get that. I understand that they need to feed their families just like us.

But it's just that if this was any other profession, these workers would never get away with this. If you walked into your local convenience store and the counter clerk wouldn't let you leave until they finally intimidated you into buying a bag of skittles and a newspaper, they'd be reported to the authorities straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

These people are driven by commission, not by the cause itself. The more people they sign, the more money they earn. I get that. I understand that they need to feed their families just like us.

But it's just that if this was any other profession, these workers would never get away with this. If you walked into your local convenience store and the counter clerk wouldn't let you leave until they finally intimidated you into buying a bag of skittles and a newspaper, they'd be reported to the authorities straight away.

Without taking away from the fact that they are a bloody nuisance, you don't appear to have done anything to shoo them away in fairness. Usually a firm "No, I'm not interested, leave me alone" will move them on. If they don't, it's very simple to say to them "I've asked you to leave me alone, you haven't done so. You're harassing me and if you don't stop now I'm calling the gardai". It's not worth it for them to keep at someone who clearly won't give in. As you said, they're in it for the commission. Why waste time on someone they won't get money from?

They're a fact of life at the moment in town, you just have to learn to deal with them.

As an aside, wearing yourself out studying in the way you speak of is entirely counter productive and your results will suffer. You shouldn't be tired going into an exam, you should be focused and calm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I cant understand why DCC havent banned them with a bye law yet. They are incredibly annoying on Dublin foot paths, as footpaths are crowded enough without them blocking peoples why. I cant understand why you need a Gardai permit to collect cash for a charity on the street like Caroling in an non-instrustive manner, but yet you can just collect bank details for a monthly direct debit but stopping them on a street.

No decent charity relies on a massive advertising campaign and using a private company to collect peoples bank details for a direct debit

• Advertisement

Deenie123 wrote: »
    Without taking away from the fact that they are a bloody nuisance, you don't appear to have done anything to shoo them away in fairness. Usually a firm "No, I'm not interested, leave me alone" will move them on. If they don't, it's very simple to say to them "I've asked you to leave me alone, you haven't done so. You're harassing me and if you don't stop now I'm calling the gardai". It's not worth it for them to keep at someone who clearly won't give in. As you said, they're in it for the commission. Why waste time on someone they won't get money from?

They're a fact of life at the moment in town, you just have to learn to deal with them.

As an aside, wearing yourself out studying in the way you speak of is entirely counter productive and your results will suffer. You shouldn't be tired going into an exam, you should be focused and calm.

It generally isn't in my nature to just "shoo" someone away, but it may be necessary in the future if I feel like I'm being cornered, harassed or coerced.

I did tell her many times that I'm not interested, but not the firm "leave me alone".

And as an aside to your aside, the last part of your post made me smile :) I had actually prepared well, came away with a B+ today, but in general I still get stressed before exams and I would prefer to have some calm, quiet time to relax and reflect before my exam, like you correctly said. :P

Advertisement