Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity workers on Dublin's streets

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

hfallada wrote: »
    I cant understand why DCC havent banned them with a bye law yet. They are incredibly annoying on Dublin foot paths, as footpaths are crowded enough without them blocking peoples why.

A bye law is in the works. If they block you report it as it can only help the case. Anything they do that crosses the line should be reported as it may well help a little bit in a bye law being passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

I always have to laugh at these chuggers, you walk by one and tell them no thanks no interested, then there is another one who is about 10 foot away who has just watched you reject their colleague asking you if you want to donate! Idiots!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I can usually dodge the chuggers on Shop Street in Galway but if I have been approached more than once on the same trip by the same organisation I feel that could be considered harassment. Is that a job for the Gardaí to deal with? As they are not collecting cash they may not require licence. A copy of the complaint to the charities head office also.

It might also be useful to write to the traders association for the area and tell them that because of chuggers you are avoiding the area and your trade is going elsewhere. That may encourage some action from the local retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Is that a job for the Gardaí to deal with? As they are not collecting cash they may not require licence.

It might also be useful to write to the traders association for the area and tell them that because of chuggers you are avoiding the area and your trade is going elsewhere. That may encourage some action from the local retailers.

The Gardai can't do anything due to them being licensed to do it for the charities. If a retailer complains about them though then they will move them on as they know they are an annoyance to the public. I was at a retailers meeting yesterday where it was brought up and retailers groups put pressure on councils to do something about it so definitely do contact them as the more people that do the more important an issue it is for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

It's all about confidence, smile at them, say you're not interested and just keep walking. You don't have to be rude or even feel awkward. Very easy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    The charity only gets a small percentage of what these people collect from what I believe, as low as 10% in some cases which I believe which is crazy when you see how difficult it is for some charities to raise money in the current climate and with all the negative publicity surround some of the scandals lately.

Where did you hear that? If charities didn't get much out of this, they wouldn't do it. I wouldn't blame the company that provides the service as the demand is obviously there, I simply won't donate to any charity that uses chuggers anymore. They are usually big enough charities anyway and I prefer to give my money to smaller ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Jay D wrote: »
    It's all about confidence, smile at them, say you're not interested and just keep walking. You don't have to be rude or even feel awkward. Very easy :)

The BEST Thing to say to them..and this always works is:

"Sorry but i have a direct debit with you guys".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

chopper6 wrote: »

They might try and pat you on the back then? No, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

I also don't see why I should have to lie to them. Just tell them to go away!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

chopper6 wrote: »

My sister got a call to her door from one of these boyos and when she (truthfully) told them that she already was signed up, they were even more persistent trying to get her to up her donation! Unbelievable!

As for people going door-to-door, my boyfriend's mam always tells them that she doesn't do any dealings at all at her front door but will take a leaflet or information pack if they have one. Can't argue with that!

For the guys on the street, I smile and say "Sorry, no thank you" but if they persist the smile quickly disappears. I know this is harsh but I really think if you're that concerned about the charity, you can get a real job and donate some of your wages and stop hassling everyone else!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭anishboi

Here's a little picture update for you guys. This is what I see right outside my front door. Her face has been omitted for obvious reasons.

Now I know the next time I leave my house I'll be confronted. Hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

I wouldn't be the most reserved person in the world but I find it tough being forced to engage chuggers several times a day in Dublin. I can feel my stress levels jump whenever I see a pack of them ahead of me. But playing devil's advocate for a moment, I have to say they might be very positive for charities.

There are big benefits for charities when using them instead of fundraising themselves. For example in terms of long-term planning of resource allocation, increased donations, more publicity around certain causes, etc (all despite having to pay the fundraising companies a hefty fee). Plus many of those chuggers end up working within the charity sector and in development work so it's not always disingenuous smiles and forced enthusiasm for the particular cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

one of them on Grafton Street said to me last week. "hey can I get a hug?" what a w@nker!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I've been shaving my head with a 4 blade the last couple of years, haven't been bothered by a chugger since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

They should adapt chuggers to Irish culture. None of those fake smiles and 'give me a hug' stuff. Get an elderly woman with a typical Irish mother look, and have her sigh out loud whenever people pass by. Then when people ask what's wrong, she says she's grand a few times until admitting she'd like some donations. Then when you offer the money to her she refuses it a few times until you put it into her hand and demand she take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Last time I was bothered by one in town, I told him in my finest Dublin accent that I was an American tourist. I don't mind the street ones to much as I can the piss out of them, the door to door one are head wreckers though. I had one last week who wouldn't go away, I told him I wasn't signing up to anything so he asks me if I could sign up in January instead. I had to close the site on his face otherwise I would've knocked him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Lived in town for 2 years. Encountered tons of the buggers on a daily basis. Never had an ounce of trouble with them. Not once. I never made eye contact with them. Ever. Hence the no issues with them. I honestly don't see what the trouble is. Ignore them is the key imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 flyingmachine

I was followed by one in Dun Laoghaire until I spotted a guard. I made a bee line for the guard and asked if he'd mind asking the person to stop following me and asking me for money. I left as the guard was taking the persons details

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

I give my change and cigs to the to the homeless
    find more rewarding than some idiot shaking a bucket in my face

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I give my change and cigs to the to the homeless
    find more rewarding than some idiot shaking a bucket in my face

Nothing wrong with the bucket shakers. They usually don't follow people around or get all smart assed if you don't donate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I had one call to the door and upon opening it was greeted with " can I just say I'm not looking for any money off you today" and then "I'm here on a voluntary basis and don't get commission" and the next sentence he was asking for my bank details.

To be honest I've seen how this works whilst backpacking in Australia 10 years ago and for that reason I wouldn't give any large charity any money unless I could see some pretty transparent figures as to where the money goes, at one time I was naive enough to think that people collecting for charity's were volunteers and nothing boils my blood more than the tonight of some shît bag approaching me either on the street or at my door with some feign concern for a cause and all the while there looking to take money from my pocket and put it in there own.

I give to local charity's where I know the people holding the buckets are volunteers and the most of the money does have some hope of reaching it's proposed location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Yeah they are very annoying, I rarely answer or acknowledge them though. As to why people try come up with things to say, I don't know. Just ignore them. There's nothing more to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Told one to fúck off yesterday, on the strength of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

I had no idea until now that many of these "charity" workers were not volunteers are at least working for those charities. Thanks for this thread for making that known.

Is there anyway to tell which charity people were paid employees of an agency? Maybe I should ask them but then I would be getting into a conversation that will never end in giving out my bank account number. Honestly I don't even know my bank account number. Do most people memorize it or do they give you a form to fill out and post later?

I guess the parallel situation in the US is when you get phone calls from charities asking for donations. Usually this happens while I am eating dinner. On the phone they ask for credit card numbers or they will mail out an invoice if you pledge a donation amount.

At the very least these charities should hand out leaflets so we can learn more about the charity on the Web and make an informed decision about whether to donate or not. Or get a little more hi-tech and ask if we'll install their charity app on our mobile.

Advertisement