Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VW Passat B6 Caravan battery charging plug

Options
  • 06-11-2014 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if these can be wired up and what ampage they can draw?
    Is it a big job?
    Thanks.
    Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

if you mean the 7-pin grey socket to supply power to the caravan charger and fridge, any decent auto electrician should be able to wire this for you.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT90XBsQ8ebuwYBzBMSvSxL8yLvJ7S3u_cz2RjCGHrFQOEQsl5xGA

One of these?
    16A @ 250V = 4000Watts

PUK-16IND309SKT%20PIC.jpg

If you're using one of these then 13A because of the fuse.

You can pull more on thicker cable. 1.5mm² on artic cable would be standard.

Wiring; Lively brown bear danced under the blue neutral sky on the green earth.

7 core towing cable is ~ 15A per core @ 13V = 195W per line. Easy job too.

wiring.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

chrismon wrote: »
    Does anyone know if these can be wired up and what ampage they can draw?
    Is it a big job?
    Thanks.
    Chris

B6 is canbus as far as I know. A lot if the installers use scotchloks just buy the proper wiring kit from brinks bosal or whoever made your tow bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

db wrote: »
    if you mean the 7-pin grey socket to supply power to the caravan charger and fridge, any decent auto electrician should be able to wire this for you.
    Nice one Ill give one a shout.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT90XBsQ8ebuwYBzBMSvSxL8yLvJ7S3u_cz2RjCGHrFQOEQsl5xGA

One of these?
    16A @ 250V = 4000Watts

PUK-16IND309SKT%20PIC.jpg

If you're using one of these then 13A because of the fuse.

You can pull more on thicker cable. 1.5mm² on artic cable would be standard.

Wiring; Lively brown bear danced under the blue neutral sky on the green earth.

7 core towing cable is ~ 15A per core @ 13V = 195W per line. Easy job too.

wiring.jpg

Lol thats amazing, Im an electrician so Ill be telling that one to mates haha.
    moodrater wrote: »
    B6 is canbus as far as I know. A lot if the installers use scotchloks just buy the proper wiring kit from brinks bosal or whoever made your tow bar.

Cheers for the help guys.
    Its for a 1hp(700w) winch attached to a boat trailer.

B6 is canbus as far as I know.
    Ah I forget how difficult they make splicing electrics in these modern mechanised chariots. Yeah there'd be a black box or two involved in wiring that towbar.

chrismon wrote: »
    Its for a 1hp(700w) winch attached to a boat trailer.

With it's own battery?
    The voltage drop on that run from the alternator will be significant...very poor charge.
    You'd be better off running dedicated heavy gauge conductors from the car battery back or I suppose it doesn't have to be perfect if you charge the trailer battery off mains at home to do it right.

• Advertisement

A lot if the installers use scotchloks.

Those look very neat.

Have you seen the Wago connectors? Not as suitable for automotive but much handier than them nasty choc. block gubbins.

mse09wvm34I2pt0NG7tRXUA.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Those look very neat.

Have you seen the Wago connectors? Not as suitable for automotive but much handier than them nasty choc. block gubbins.

mse09wvm34I2pt0NG7tRXUA.jpg

They look nice. Scotchloks are the spawn of satan half the time they sever some of the cores and with any movement the wire cracks off at the connection point. That said I've been known to use them for less mission critical things like car audio.

The splices on my radio are exponential but I've only got two speakers.

Advertisement