Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ivans of caherdavin

• 06-11-2014 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Ivans re opening soon as deli cafe bakery and some grocery, strange that their keeping the name with all the hassle that closing down caused . Wonder will the local people give them any business.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Post office is gone from there now so they must be expanding in there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

strange that their keeping the name with all the hassle that closing down caused . Wonder will the local people give them any business.

Actually I'm glad they're keeping the name. The place has an identity and to be honest, most locals would continue to refer to it as 'Ivan's anyway. Nice to have an air of familiarity to the new venture even if under new management.

Will the local people support it? If the product is good and the price is right then, yes, they will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

If anyone is in contact with the owners or has the power to influence them, please get them to bake fresh doughnuts with different toppings just like American style doughnut shops do, Limerick lacks decent options for this lol

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭xxtippchickxx

i wonder whos opening it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

They are dead right to keep the name. It was there for long enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Wonder would they have to have permission from the former owners to use the name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

tipptom wrote: »
    Wonder would they have to have permission from the former owners to use the name?

Why would they even need it?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

Maybe they could use the name the shop had before it was Ivans....'Frankies'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

testicle wrote: »

Probably copyrighted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

testicle wrote: »
    Maybe Ivan had intended opening a chain of them,try opening a shop called Bill & Bens and find out how popular you are with lawyers who could tell you why you would need it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The new owners are connected to BB's Coffee I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

If I was ever in town I would pick up a lunch on the way home so Ivan's closing was a real pain for me ......

I rem going into the far car park and being surprised to see a single car parked and that was clamped!!!! ( never seen that before) ...... I was going to mention to the guy's that it seemed a bit cruel but when I walked up to the shop I read the sad notice posted on all the doors ..... we are closed ......

Sure hope the new guys do meals ..... the Bakery and meals made Ivan's famous .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I always got a Christmas cake and cheesecake there as well. The alternatives weren't the same at christmas.

He'd be out in the car park at Christmas fighting to keep order. Place was bedlam.

Reminds me of auld ones roaring at staff who would only sell the a Christmas log as the round Christmas cakes were only for those who booked them. One lady said "fine I'll take two logs to make up it" and was told no "one per customer" and lost her ****e.

Good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

the black forest gateau was worth murdering for. i actually miss it like a loved family member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Parchment wrote: »
    the black forest gateau was worth murdering for. i actually miss it like a loved family member.

Yep any other day of the week it would be a Black Forest gateaux but at Christmas they renamed it because they stick a plastic pin in it. Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

The new owners are connected to BB's Coffee I'm told.

heard it was Zest !

Parchment wrote: »

+1 Well, my blood sugar and weight have both reduced since Ivan's closed.

Still, I miss that shop. It was unique and a landmark store this end of town. Hope the new incarnation is as good.

I remember someone from my family got a cake there in the late 90's or early 00's with a photo of whoever the cake was for done in icing on it (christening, 18th, 21st, 30th, anniversary, whatever). I was only a kid and it was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen at the time :o

EDIBLE PHOTOS!! :eek:

Polyphonic ringtones came along shortly afterwards and my life changed completely :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

I heard this week that the crowd running Ristorante Del Arte in the Crescent Shopping Centre are taking over Ivan's, dunno if it's gonna be another Del Arte or with other food services too.

It'd be great if they kept the name, Ivan's is a landmark on what was the main road into the city for years - unreal the amount of people outside of Limerick that know of it.

Is the official name for that crossroads/traffic lights "Caherdavin cross"?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Smacs89

rok wrote: »
    Is the official name for that crossroads/traffic lights "Caherdavin cross"?

Ivans Cross afaik

• Advertisement

I think it's official name is Caherdavin Cross, at least if Google is to be believed :)

7610_10203732829773503_4746919202844468117_n.jpg?oh=14d17a3be60563d271872ab397d69094&oe=551CE302&__gda__=1424643839_215b31c9c424892f18df6c9db1ccb907

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

I guess that's the business to go for especially since Ivans was known for its cakes and well when you're next to Dunnes, LIDL etc you really can't compete in the other stuff that the old Ivans was doing.

Champ wrote: »

I guess that's the business to go for especially since Ivans was known for its cakes and well when you're next to Dunnes, LIDL etc you really can't compete in the other stuff that the old Ivans was doing.

Do you think "Café and Bakery" stores do Take away meals ? ......

If not my life is going to be ruined ! ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Alltherage

If you order a No. 5 and it turns out to be a Lemon cheese cake would that be so bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

If anyone is in contact with the owners or has the power to influence them, please get them to bake fresh doughnuts with different toppings just like American style doughnut shops do, Limerick lacks decent options for this lol

Yes I second that. Expanded Tim hortons is much much needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Doesnt sound like all the staff will be going back so those cakes may not be the same as they once were :( Shame really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Well there's only so many ways you can make a cake. :) Their strawberry cheesecake was one of my favourites alongside their black forests.

Still it's something if some of the original staff will be retained?

Champ wrote: »
    Their strawberry cheesecake was one of my favourites alongside their black forests.

Still it's something if some of the original staff will be retained?

+1. I've lost about three kilos weight since Ivan's closed. I see dietary challenges ahead if the new operators are able to do the deli as good as previously. :)

Told yesterday I can forget Roast Beef ..... pork ..... lamb etc etc meals from the new operation ........

An alternative to Ivans that do great take away meals was mentioned and it's located between Raheen hospital and the South Court hotel ...... I can't place it ..... anyone know who it might be? ........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It's probably Centra Raheen just by the south court

Advertisement