Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ivans of caherdavin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

would have thought the place fairly saturated with Centra type shops - Dunnes, Lidl, Tesco, whatever that in Caherdvin is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

hobie14 wrote:
    Told yesterday I can forget Roast Beef ..... pork ..... lamb etc etc meals from the new operation ........

Any more details you can share regarding the new operation?:)
    would have thought the place fairly saturated with Centra type shops - Dunnes, Lidl, Tesco
    I suspect he wants something other than the normal convenient deli or hot bar menu of rolls, fried chicken etc...

Though at times I myself have picked up a chicken roll from the Centra on the opposite side of the road and do enjoy the potato wedges and southern fried drumsticks from the Dunnes hot bar in the Jetland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

rok wrote: »
    I heard this week that the crowd running Ristorante Del Arte in the Crescent Shopping Centre are taking over Ivan's, dunno if it's gonna be another Del Arte or with other food services too.

It'd be great if they kept the name, Ivan's is a landmark on what was the main road into the city for years - unreal the amount of people outside of Limerick that know of it.

Is the official name for that crossroads/traffic lights "Caherdavin cross"?

Del Arte have the same office address as BB's (Summer st, beside the Medical Centre), so I'd guess it could probably be another BB's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

This does sound like its not going to do well imo but i stand corrected , theres a bbs in the Jetland and then there is the new cafe up where mr.macs once was.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

I see building work has resumed after a bit of a delay and signs up on the windows say its re opening as bakery deli cafe as earlier stated. Really hope it works out this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

What a disaster ..... as an Ivan's customer for years I can't see the new operation providing anything we lost the day Ivan had to lock the doors ..... :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That's a very pessimistic response. Can't say I agree with you, and I did a fair chunk of shopping there over the years as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

hobie14 wrote: »
    What a disaster ..... as an Ivan's customer for years I can't see the new operation providing anything we lost the day Ivan had to lock the doors ..... :(

Isn't that the point though? Ivans couldn't make the figures work with what he was providing so why would somebody come along and just replicate it?

People didn't think Javinos, where Macs O/L was, would work and they proved people wrong. Hood and Ladder will open in Corbally.

Coffee shops seem to work. Ivan's didn't overall but at least they're offering a Bakery which was the only reason I ever went there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Isn't that the point though? Ivans couldn't make the figures work with what he was providing

How do you know that? Tbf there is a lot more to Ivan than just Ivan's !
    He was loaded, lost a pile, made a load back and obviously lost it again. His house is for sale a good while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

digzy wrote: »
    How do you know that? Tbf there is a lot more to Ivan than just Ivan's !

We're discussing Ivans Shop that closed though not Ivans and his other businesses/ventures.(I don't know of them)
    Staff were called in last night and told by owner Ivan Cremin that due to tough trading conditions, the business would close.

He was on a busy junction with competition from Tesco, Dunnes and Lidl.
    Unfortunately after 38 years of business, we have been forced to close Ivan’s shop. I would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge you all for your support and continued loyalty in these hard economic times over the last few years.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

The days of the independent corner shop are over. They simply can't compete with Lidl/Aldi/SuperValue/Dunnes/Tesco or the Mace/Spar type convenience stores.

The only place they will eventually be found is in the middle of nowhere where the likes of above are too far away to affect them. Which in itself is increasingly unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Isn't that the point though? Ivans couldn't make the figures work with what he was providing so why would somebody come along and just replicate it?

People didn't think Javinos, where Macs O/L was, would work and they proved people wrong. Hood and Ladder will open in Corbally.

Coffee shops seem to work. Ivan's didn't overall but at least they're offering a Bakery which was the only reason I ever went there.

Hard to know how Javinos is actually doing. It seems busy when open but it's hours are incredibly inconsistent. Sometimes the restaurant part is open and sometimes closed. I have gone there to the cafe on three occasions and it has been closed. Twice completely and the 3rd time they were closing up as I arrived to the door. All during the middle of the day. I have seen it closed on a Sunday one week and open the next. Very strange. Not sure if they are closing cause they are quiet some days or so they run out of supplies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

Javinos hours Monday-Saturday 9am to 5.30pm. Sunday 10am to 4pm. Closed bank holidays. They no longer open evenings.
    I have never seen them close at midday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

lasno wrote: »
    Javinos hours Monday-Saturday 9am to 5.30pm. Sunday 10am to 4pm. Closed bank holidays. They no longer open evenings.
    I have never seen them close at midday.

One was a Saturday before a munster match. It was just before 4 O clock and they turned me away saying they were closed and would be back open "next week", was pretty vague.

Ya the evenings didn't seem to last long but there again they had down that they would be open till 9:30 but were closed earlier than that on a few occassions. Maybe the evening openings didn't take off because of the inconsistencies in the hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Jofspring wrote: »
    One was a Saturday before a munster match. It was just before 4 O clock and they turned me away saying they were closed and would be back open "next week", was pretty vague.

Ya the evenings didn't seem to last long but there again they had down that they would be open till 9:30 but were closed earlier than that on a few occassions. Maybe the evening openings didn't take off because of the inconsistencies in the hours?

I know last weekend my Uncle and Aunt went into this place and ordered some coffees and a slice apple crumble or something similar. Anyway, this was approximately 10-15 minutes before closing time and they were told that they are closed and they had to leave. There were customers already sitting in the place eating and drinking.

My uncle at the time was dressed in a pair of tracksuit bottoms as he was doing work around the house that day. He (and I) think this was probably the reason for them refusing his order.

I won't be going there anyway and even if the whole tracksuit thing wasn't the reason, refusing a customer a service during opening hours for no good reason is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭hagoonabear

I loved their coffee cake, absolutely adored it. if anyone knows the recipe or I'd any place in limerick sells similar

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Ivan's what do I miss ......

Best take away meals anywhere ..... real home cooked style

Best Cake service ..... any size .... any design .... and a price to suit you

best breakfast rolls ..... or if you prefer a breakfast plate ...... anything you want

Pastry and regular cakes ...... bread etc

I rem when Ivan's closed it hit National TV news big time ..... why? ..... because half the $$$$ country knew Ivan's and regretted it closing ......

Anyway, back to Cafe's ....... it would be nice if it was a Biker's Cafe ...... would need lots of room for motor Bikes ..... maybe they could buy the house next door and turn it into a Bike parking area ...... :)

A lot of activity outside the place today with workers doing stuff on the exterior.

The doors were actually opened and they seem to be starting on getting the place in order I think...? (didn't stop to stare inside)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

They are holding onto the Ivan's name??
    When I moved to Limerick first in 2002 Ivan's was a great spot, helped that I lived on the NCR at that time and it was quite local. As the years went on though it didn't have it's unique appeal, it's deli was very average and the cakes were overpriced for what they were, this was almost acceptable though because there was no other bakery in Limerick doing decent fresh cakes, still isn't to be honest.
    The Sunday lunch was good enough but Bobby Byrnes does better one these days.
    Staff tended to be of the miserable variety quite a lot of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

They have posted this to their instagram

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

cronin_j wrote: »
    They have posted this to their instagram
    Didn't realise they were doing any work inside. Just thought they had stalled development for some reason. Good to see!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Didn't realise they were doing any work inside. Just thought they had stalled development for some reason. Good to see!

They were removing the old "Ivan's" signs and painting the outside walls in the last few days. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,816 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Nice to see a place which definitely closed due to influences of "De recession" battling back.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/business-news/limerick-store-ivans-re-opens-after-200-000-upgrade-1-6743455

Well it's not exactly the same as it used to be with respect to ownership but it is iconic and am glad to see it back in business and I wish them luck.

Looking forward to calling in in the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

God it was fairly bare when I called in this morning. In the old Ivan's you could do a small shop, there's nothing in there now. Maybe I was too early but even the bakery had only two types of fresh cakes on display and no small cakes, the deli looked no different to any petrol station around the country, dried out eggs, burnt bacon etc. I spotted a few "luxury" products (confit duck legs etc) but nothing to distinguish it from any other shop, a disappointing opening in my opinion, hopefully they'll up their game soon.

Business is certainly picking up there, probably helps it was a Friday as well. People are picking up cakes and the sit in seems to be doing well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

Champ wrote: »
    Business is certainly picking up there, probably helps it was a Friday as well. People are picking up cakes and the sit in seems to be doing well too.

Is the sit-in still ongoing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

It must be busy, it's back to taking an ages to get through the lights from the clonmacken side.

Might try lunch there tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

It must be busy, it's back to taking an ages to get through the lights from the clonmacken side.

Might try lunch there tomorrow.
    Today 19:08

I bought the roast beef (to take home) there last week. It was excellent and a very generous portion too. Hope they keep up standards.

It's nice to see the place up & running again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

After hearing mixed reviews said we'd give it a go today for lunch.

The food was simply dreadful. Took an age for two sandwiches. The pulled pork was overcooked regular pork. The ciabatta was rubbery, if it had been warmed or toasted it may have been passable. Partners meal the same. For a €7.95 sandwich it was disgraceful, a €3.50 meal deal in Dunne's tastes much better.

Last week ordered the same thing for the same price in hook and ladder and it was fantastic, really tasty. Such a contrast.

Love to see and try new places in Limerick but sadly this is well under par and we won't be going back.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I think that new BBQ place in the city centre is the only place in Limerick that can do proper pulled pork, is it?

Advertisement