Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ivans of caherdavin

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I think that new BBQ place in the city centre is the only place in Limerick that can do proper pulled pork, is it?

If you are talking about El Torro they do a good pulled port allright. Plenty of other places around Limerick do too though, including Delis.

Its not rocket science its just slow cooked so it almost falls apart. Certainly not the cubed pork served at Ivan's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I think that new BBQ place in the city centre is the only place in Limerick that can do proper pulled pork, is it?

Found El toro pulled pork really dry. Had to cover it BBQ sauce to make it edible. Sweet potato fries, beans and burger were all good though.

Still haven't tried Ivan's cause it's been way too busy.

I'm finding some people are being overly nostalgic with Ivan's and their cakes. I always found their cakes to be pretty standard. Never understood the fascination with them and from talking to older people I know they said the cakes were far superior when Ivan's first opened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I posted last week that I was terribly disappointed with this new Ivans (El Toro is rubbish as well imo), it will thrive for a while on it's reputation but if they don't up their game they won't last a hurry, as I said before the amount of stock they have would fit in an ice cream van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I have to agree disappointed also. Went in the other morning on way to work at 9am and no scones. I asked and was grunted at by member of staff. First impressions not good. I will go back in fairness I am hoping these are teething problems. I will try the cafe and then decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

maryk123 wrote: »
    I have to agree disappointed also. Went in the other morning on way to work at 9am and no scones. I asked and was grunted at by member of staff. First impressions not good. I will go back in fairness I am hoping these are teething problems. I will try the cafe and then decide.
    ****, no scones. The bastards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭moby2101

Haven't had a sit-down meal there yet so can't comment...however.. the cakes are EXCELLENT!
    Had to get a couple of birthday cakes and other bits and they are by far the best in Limerick @ the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

moby2101 wrote: »
    Haven't had a sit-down meal there yet so can't comment...however.. the cakes are EXCELLENT!
    Had to get a couple of birthday cakes and other bits and they are by far the best in Limerick @ the moment

Being the best in Limerick(if that is true) doesn't mean they are excellent, Limerick is an absolute disaster for cakes and buns. The old Ivans supplied cakes that were average at best, certainly nothing special, I remember one day a lad arrived into work for some occasion with a pear cake, you'd swear he had flown to Paris to get it such was his excitement at what we were about to experience. It was fine but I wouldn't have gone thirty seconds out of my way to but one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

moby2101 wrote:

Was hoping to hear that!:) I mainly popped into the old Ivans for the cakes for occasions like birthdays and the Friday teasing of the taste buds.:D

Any particular recommendations? I was a fan of the old Ivans Black Forest and Strawberry Cheesecakes.

I have had a sponge cake, cheesecake and tarts from zest and all have been beautiful, top class stuff.

The desert gallery in corbally used to have nicer cakes than Ivan's in my opinion.

Supervalu/superquinn also had lovely cakes. Been a while since I've had one though so can't comment on recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I used to frequent Ivan's for cakes mainly and was also a fan of superquinn but it's just not the same there anymore since musgrave started operating their name over it.

Smaller, less variety and making less quantity. Loads of bread mind but not buns and cakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Berty wrote: »
    I used to frequent Ivan's for cakes mainly and was also a fan of superquinn but it's just not the same there anymore since musgrave started operating their name over it.

Smaller, less variety and making less quantity. Loads of bread mind but not buns and cakes.

Agree with you 100% there, Superquinn/Supervalu are imo little different now to any other supermarket for fresh cakes etc. Quigleys in the Parkway would be my first port of call now but even then carry only a small range. As others have said Limerick isn't great for fresh confectionery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was in Zest on Saturday (1st floor in EZ Living in the same retail park as Harvey Norman, B&Q etc.) and their stuff is gorgeous. They have full cakes, biscuits and buns available for take away. Great selection too.

That'll be my first port of call the next time I need to get something along those lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Zest is also in people's park, Ennis and they have and run the inflight food for Shannon airport so have good production facilities to make great food.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭dorito92

anyone know where i can get the strawberries and cream layered cake like ivans used to do, preferably without having to order it, something like this https://www.babygizmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/strawcake4.jpg

does the "new" ivans have it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,696 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Popped in to Ivan's a couple of time over last weekend....have to say it was very underwhelming :(

In my opinion, the old Ivan's failed due to trying to diversify too much and this new version seems to be falling into the same trap.

There seems to be way too much going on (Shop, Deli, Hot Food, Artisan bits and bobs, Cakes, Coffee shop) and none of it seems to be linked or have a natural flow :confused:

The coffee shop was a bit of a mess both days we were there to be honest...a long queue the first day (even though there was a number of free tables) and then they ran out of food on the Sunday morning (all cooked breakfast ingredients gone by 11.30 :eek:)

Maybe it might settle down/improve but seems like a massive missed opportunity at the minute. Why not just focus on having a proper coffee shop and cakes/deli??

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

It's closed down again I hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭manna452121

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

also own Ramen it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

And del Arte in the Crescent

And del Arte in the Crescent

That was replaced by Ramen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

2 B10s in the last 8 months of trading and a winding up order on the foot of a Revenue request.
    Doesn't scream good governance ;)

Thoughts are with the staff and suppliers.

Sorrento, Del Arte and Ramen are all trading names of DK Walshe Ltd as was Ivans ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭cian8

Ramen was boarded up yesterday in the Crescent. Didn’t think anything of it at the time.

cian8 wrote: »
    Ramen was boarded up yesterday in the Crescent. Didn’t think anything of it at the time.

That's been closed a while as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭manna452121

"To Let" signs gone up on the building,maybe a new Supermacs

Wouldn’t be nearly enough parking for a Supermacs there

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Wouldn’t be nearly enough parking for a Supermacs there

There is plenty of parking there between the 5 or so spots right next to it and the spots a few feet further down. It would have more dedicated parking than the roxboro supermacs (sharing with other businesses, the one in town (none), the one that was across from the regional (about 15 shared spots?) and the brand new one on the ballysimon (there is only about 20 parking spots for one so big). It would have no drive through though and it would be fairly small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Ramen signage removed yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Story going around that Ivans may be turned into a medical Centre for a large health Insurance company.....

THE landmark former Ivan’s store in Caherdavin looks set to become a health and wellness clinic, if fresh proposals get the green light.

The Limerick Leader can this week reveal that planning permission is being sought to transform the once popular former general store into a facility backed by Laya healthcare, which is opening a network of clinics across the country.

If permission is granted, around 20 new jobs will be created in what is being seen as a major boost for the northside.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

hobie14 wrote: »
    Story going around that Ivans may be turned into a medical Centre for a large health Insurance company.....

THE landmark former Ivan’s store in Caherdavin looks set to become a health and wellness clinic, if fresh proposals get the green light.

The Limerick Leader can this week reveal that planning permission is being sought to transform the once popular former general store into a facility backed by Laya healthcare, which is opening a network of clinics across the country.

If permission is granted, around 20 new jobs will be created in what is being seen as a major boost for the northside.

The planning application was submitted last week. File no. 19/1205.

• Advertisement
Advertisement