Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 4s hacked

• 06-11-2014 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm hoping someone can help me to check to see whether an iPhone has been compromised. I never owed an Apple device so it's a different world to me.

My friend got an iPhone 4s from her ex-boyfriend last year. She never created an Apple ID for herself, it was all set up and ready to go. Things got sour in the relationship and it has become increasingly obvious that he is aware of text messages she has sent to various people. I just googled it and see that it is possible for someone to access text messages through iMessage if they have the Apple ID and perhaps have backed the phone up at some stage to their Mac. This guy has a Mac. My friend updated the ios a few months ago and when she did so, it asked for her Apple ID to login to iTunes. There was no Apple ID associated with her email address. She didn't continue with registering with iTunes as she knows nothing about technology and didn't have any need to register at the time. Is there a way that you can check on the handset to see what user id is associated with the particular phone? Also, is there a way that you can see whether or not texts are being fed in to iMessage? She isn't in a position to erase the phone at the moment but if that's the only way to ensure no-one has access, we can arrange to do it. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Settings - iMessage - send and receive shows me my Apple ID - I use the same I'd to log on to my Mac, and I see all my messages in the app there also

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bella_cork

Thanks very much. I'll be with her at the weekend and will check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

That's it there is no hacking required. He simply owns the Apple ID she's using (without knowing) so he can see all her iMessage texts. He can't see regular SMS texts afaik. And if she signs the phone over to a new ID he should be locked out.

That's what I thought, he already owned the Apple ID but I wasn't sure what access he had to messages etc. after that. Is your Apple ID just a series of numbers and if so, how would we know whether or not this is his ID or whether it is her new ID? I presume setting up a new Apple ID on the phone now will block all access to the phone immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Checked her phone. Her Apple I'D is his email address. iMessage was turned on, which I have now turned off. iCloud didn't seem to be setup, nor was VPN. I'm not in a position now to change her user id as she's in his company at the moment but I think we'll have to reset the phone in a weeks time. Many thanks for all of your suggestions

Advertisement