Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flash Upgrade on 6D

• 06-11-2014 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭

All,

I want some advice about upgrading my Flash and I'm getting confused. At the moment I've a Canon 6D with a 430EX (NOT EX II) flash and I want a multi flash setup. I know I could dash out at buy two or three flashes with Pocket Wizard triggers but the money isn't there.

My requirements are;
    • Use the wireless flash menu in the camera to control multiple flashes for power etc
    • Keep and incorporate the 430 EX as a slave (it has slave functionality through IR, I think it's IR anyway and I don't want to throw it away as it's working)
    • New Master flash (Has to have TTL) but budget can't stretch to the 600EX
    • Radio rather than IR triggers.

I was thinking of the Yongnuo YN-568 Flash and the YN-622 transceivers in case I buy a third flash (second hand). Is this feasible?

I already have an extension cord and am used to manual flash but there is only so much reflectors and bouncing can do......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

Just to confuse you more - the Yongnuo 600EX-RT is now out - this works with YN-E3-RT radio transmittor - they seem to be hard to get at the minute as supply hasn't kept up with the huge demand for anything from yongnuo.

It seems to be a new system, i.e. it won't be backwards compatible with YN622cs - so you you would be as well to choose which system you want to work with now. There may be good value now in the second hand market of the old system and the 568exs have definitely dropped in price on ebay in the last fortnight.

I am working with the old system with 3 YN622s and two 568EXs - i have a third flash on order, slightly cheaper now that the new model is out, and also a 622c-TX, which seems to be taking forever on that slow boat from china.

I see no reason why your existing 430 EX wouldn't work as an optical slave - someone with more experience of using it like that will probably be along soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

eoglyn wrote: »
    Just to confuse you more - the Yongnuo 600EX-RT is now out - this works with YN-E3-RT radio transmittor - they seem to be hard to get at the minute as supply hasn't kept up with the huge demand for anything from yongnuo.

It seems to be a new system, i.e. it won't be backwards compatible with YN622cs - so you you would be as well to choose which system you want to work with now. There may be good value now in the second hand market of the old system and the 568exs have definitely dropped in price on ebay in the last fortnight.

I am working with the old system with 3 YN622s and two 568EXs - i have a third flash on order, slightly cheaper now that the new model is out, and also a 622c-TX, which seems to be taking forever on that slow boat from china.

I see no reason why your existing 430 EX wouldn't work as an optical slave - someone with more experience of using it like that will probably be along soon.

Thanks for that. I guess I've got to make a choice. Either go with the 600EX -RT and radio triggers or 568's and 622 triggers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

Why not consider a set of Studio lights? You would get a two head set of lights, Stands, Softboxes or umbrellas with a radio trigger for that kind of money. Elinchrom's D-Lights (€530 - €750) have full remote control of power, but you can go up or down in budget from there.

Why not consider a set of Studio lights? You would get a two head set of lights, Stands, Softboxes or umbrellas with a radio trigger for that kind of money. Elinchrom's D-Lights (€530 - €750) have full remote control of power, but you can go up or down in budget from there.

I did but I don't do a lot of portrait work or indoor work so studio lights would be wasted I think. I want the portability of remote flashes and being able to place the flashes discretely without attracting the attention that studio lights bring.

Just to let you know I managed to pick up a new/second hand Canon 600EX-RT (still in it's original wrapper and had no use) for a good price. It's working with the 430EX through IR triggers.

I'm going to learn about balancing and slave positioning before adding another flash. I decided to go the 600EX-RT to future proof as Canon is going down the RT trigger route.

The seller had another 600EX-RT for sale and it was very tempting to buy and add it to the setup........

• Advertisement
Advertisement