Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadow Posting

Options
  • 06-11-2014 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

We have been corresponding with Bank of Ireland for the last few weeks regarding an item that showed up as a Shadow Posting on my wife's account on the weekend of our wedding.

In short we were paying for our wedding an outstanding balance of €7791.90. The merchant at the hotel didn't think it could be processed in one go so there were 2 amounts of €2500 processed and verified by Chip and PIN and then the hotel receptionist rang what I believe to be an automated number to request a larger payment, €2791.90 as the final payment. Having simply entered my wife's card number it appears that this amount was debited from the account as my wife was monitoring the transactions on her phone via Banking365. Reluctantly my wife was asked to verify this amount by Chip and PIN on the basis that the merchant stated that verification was required and she actually showed us her tally from the Chip and PIN terminal for the say and the final amount of €2791.90 was not showing. Naturally we were anxious to ensure that we settled out bill in full before leaving.

Subsequently it transpired that TWO amounts of €2791.90 were debited from the account and it was a week before the second amount reconciled and was returned to the account. The Bank appear to have no interest in the fact that this to me represents a clear security issue in that any person can place on hold a significant amount from a Bank Account without asking the account holder to verify their details. In this case the hotel didn't have the money, my wife didn't have the money (it was not available to withdraw) but the Bank had it. This was not their money to retain and all of this happened in the first week of our honeymoon.

Needless to say this has caused us both great distress but what is more annoying is that the Bank's response appears to portray the attitude that this is simply the way things are and they don't seem to acknowledge that there is a security issue here. The whole point of the Chip and PIN system is to provide security to the customer obliging them to verify their details when processing a transaction. 

I would very much like to hear why Bank of Ireland don't believe this to a be a security issue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Hi SmithsFan,[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Thanks for taking the time to contact us and congratulations on your nuptials. [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]We are sorry to hear of the recent difficulties you encountered when paying for your wedding. [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]From time to time, duplicate transactions can occur on an account if a card payment has been cancelled / voided at a point of sale or if the retailer requests that you enter your pin number a second time after it has been authorised. [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]The additional transaction may take up to five working days to correct on the system and be removed from your account. [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]We appreciate your comments and completely understand the predicament this left you in however, this is not something which we have any control over.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]If we can assist you with anything in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Laura[/font]

Advertisement