Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market location?

Options
  • 07-11-2014 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Can anyone tell me whereabouts in Galway city the christmas market is held? I'm presuming Eyre sq but the website doesn't say. Looking to book a hotel for a family as close as i can get to be able to walk to it
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yeah it's always in Eyre Square

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Their website confirms that it is in Eyre sq again www.galwaychristmasmarket.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Makes more sense to put it in the old oil tank farm by the docks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

i would agree

at least eyre square won't look as damaged as it did for st patricks day.

pictures taken 29.03.14
    it should not be in eyre square unless they leave it exactly they way it was.
    which they haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Disagree: it's far better in the Square, having in on the hard-stand would make it just like the May funfair, and the square very blah.

A few patches in the grass are a minor problem, IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Disagree: it's far better in the Square, having in on the hard-stand would make it just like the May funfair, and the square very blah.

A few patches in the grass are a minor problem, IMHO.

Check out the pics in the post above taken 3 mths(1/4 of a year) after the market packed up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

i'm all for the market, just leave it as you got it or better. Not the way it was left last year.

kennedy park is for all people of galway not just for food/drink traders at christmas. It is designated as a green space and so it should be. It is a bad reflection that the main civic area in the center was that bare looking for the st patricks weekend 3 months after xmas market.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    Makes more sense to put it in the old oil tank farm by the docks

a lot more foot traffic/pedestrians pass through eyre square,than over at the docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Eyre Square is the best location imo. Some merchants use plastic flooring to save the grass but even then it's not a major concern in my view. Grass grows back and the market is worth it.

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    Check out the pics in the post above taken 3 mths(1/4 of a year) after the market packed up

It's only grass, what harm if it takes a while to recover. The atmosphere of the market wouldn't be 1/10 of what it is if it was held down in a soulless place like the concrete area near the docks.

Eyre square is pretty much as ideal a location as you could possibly get for a Christmas market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

Short of having hovering stalls I don't see how the grass couldn't be affected. The square is the most ideal location for it (even if it's a little small). With the weather this time of year it's not like you'd have people eating their lunches in the square anyway. Minor concern, imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

swine wrote: »
    Short of having hovering stalls I don't see how the grass couldn't be affected. The square is the most ideal location for it (even if it's a little small). With the weather this time of year it's not like you'd have people eating their lunches in the square anyway. Minor concern, imo.

the point is the square looks horrible for months after the market moves on ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

It's winter in Galway, the square would look horrible regardless. No one is lying out on the grass in February.

It's a small sacrifice to make, and most people don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Maybe someone could organise a protest about this awful issue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

The protest could be held down at the Docks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nope, they just built Winter Wonderland down the docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Tis rarely I thank you, but LOL!!

(and I'm on RM's side).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

ErnieBert wrote: »
    The protest could be held down at the Docks
    Tis rarely I thank you, but LOL!!

(and I'm on RM's side).

maybe occupy will return to the square now that people are beginning to rise up:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

maybe occupy will return to the square now that people are beginning to rise up:)

Lemme get this straight, you're worried about a bit of patchy grass being unsightly, but you're hoping to have Camp Crusty back? :eek:

Kamp_Krusty.png

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Laviski wrote: »
    kennedy park is for all people of galway not just for food/drink traders at christmas. It is designated as a green space and so it should be. It is a bad reflection that the main civic area in the center was that bare looking for the st patricks weekend 3 months after xmas market.

When I looked at the Eyre Square area last Christmas (the whole of it, not just the small Kennedy Park bit) I saw more of the people of Galway enjoying their time there than you do during most other four week periods. Certainly more than would be there if there were no stalls or stages in the middle of winter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement