Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#bringdownjulianblanc

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

No, of course not. I would have thought it was obvious my reply was a tad tongue in cheek. The thing is though, this PUA crap doesn't help anyone be themselves either. As nyarlothothep put it; it's like putting on a mask.

It can be. In The Game Neil Strauss encounters a few different types of people. there's some like Mystery who believe that if you strut around and make yourself noticable, then you'll get noticed. Women will react to the confidence and will be attracted. the thing is, by the end of the bok the guy is having a breakdown. He had all these insecurities and just adopted a persona to hide it. that is, like you and nyarlothothep say, putting on a mask.

The same goes for the Tyler Durden guy in the book. He believed that everything came down to learning routines and knowing beforehand exactly what you would do. If she says X, you already have Y prepared. That's not a mask, but it is learning by rote and certainly not respectful of women.

Others though just viewed it as a tool kit to learn about people, both themselves and women. The brief look I took at it online showed far more people who were in the last group. they were just guys who wanted to understand what they were doing wrong and how they could make themselves better. they're the guys who would see a guy standing with a group of women and talk to them so easily. And they'd think How does he do that. And so they decided they wanted to be a bit more like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Grayson wrote: »
    It can be. In The Game Neil Strauss encounters a few different types of people. there's some like Mystery who believe that if you strut around and make yourself noticable, then you'll get noticed. Women will react to the confidence and will be attracted. the thing is, by the end of the bok the guy is having a breakdown. He had all these insecurities and just adopted a persona to hide it. that is, like you and nyarlothothep say, putting on a mask.

The same goes for the Tyler Durden guy in the book. He believed that everything came down to learning routines and knowing beforehand exactly what you would do. If she says X, you already have Y prepared. That's not a mask, but it is learning by rote and certainly not respectful of women.

Others though just viewed it as a tool kit to learn about people, both themselves and women. The brief look I took at it online showed far more people who were in the last group. they were just guys who wanted to understand what they were doing wrong and how they could make themselves better. they're the guys who would see a guy standing with a group of women and talk to them so easily. And they'd think How does he do that. And so they decided they wanted to be a bit more like him.

I'm not denying that there are some positives you can get from the whole thing, my stance is more that you can get those positives from any self help book instead of turning to a community that has unsavory aspects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭tritium

I'm not denying that there are some positives you can get from the whole thing, my stance is more that you can get those positives from any self help book instead of turning to a community that has unsavory aspects.

Most communities have unsavory aspects. In many communities (including this one) they can be the most vocal elements. However as we're often told with respect to other groups its unfair to label everyone this way because of the more visible actions of a minority.

I don't disagree that there's asshattery. But if someone is getting something from it then good luck to them. If others find it disrespectful then as adults theyre capable and entitled of telling them to take a hike. Given that this stuff isn't exactly top secret or subtle you're no more likely to walk unawares into this than any other social environment.

tritium wrote: »
    Most communities have unsavory aspects. In many communities (including this one) they can be the most vocal elements. However as we're often told with respect to other groups its unfair to label everyone this way because of the more visible actions of a minority.

I don't disagree that there's asshattery. But if someone is getting something from it then good luck to them. If others find it disrespectful then as adults theyre capable and entitled of telling them to take a hike. Given that this stuff isn't exactly top secret or subtle you're no more likely to walk unawares into this than any other social environment.

Yes but again there is nothing positive that can be gained from it that can't be gained elsewhere. So why associate with a community largely based on obnoxious behaviour at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

What's with all the one post wonders registering today to talk about how great these pick up losers are?

I'm starting to notice this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Never heard of him. But grabbing them by the throat seems a little larry murphyish to me. There is a thin line apparently between picking up and abducting! He sounds like a right prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I can understand why someone would try PUA and how they might accidentally end up going to an event like this without knowing about any violent undertones.

But there is no pretence or "artistry" to this guy, Blanc. He intentionally targets women who don't speak English. He goes around grabbing women by the neck and choking them, forcing Japanese girls down on his crotch while yelling "Pikachu!". It's like something Patrick Bateman would do for the lolz.

I fit the classic "oblivious man" stereotype, except I'm a woman. I really struggle to catch on when men are flirting with me. I practically need a written statement of intent or a klaxon or something before I realise. It's something I try to work on. So, I can sympathise with men who have similar issues.

I worry that PUA takes men who are decent, normal people who just struggle a bit with some social cues or confidence and instills in them a way of thinking that is not conducive to healthy relationships with women. It dehumanises women. It's not interested in teaching you how to create an environment where you and the woman both have a good time and get what you want. It's all about getting what YOU want. And how to avoid those troubling feminists who might challenge you. It's about increasing your social standing and what other people will think of you once you bag that "10".

I'm just of the age where "negging" and other fun PUA tricks are something I encounter all the time on nights out. I had a guy come up to me recently and tell me that he thought I had a great ass but that the top I was wearing was really ugly and I shouldn't have worn it. He seemed baffled that his "compliment them, then bring them down a peg" strategy didn't work.

Louis Theroux made a doc a while back about men who went to Thailand to, essentially, buy brides and bring them back to the UK.

There was one guy who was meeting all the potentials and the only thing they asked him to do, the only "rule", was that he respect local norms and not be overly familiar with the women. A hand on the shoulder, a hand resting on the back, etc. Not anything outrageous by western standards but enough to make people uncomfortable in Thailand. He broke the rule consistently. Because it was about him. And what he wanted. He was a selfish person. And I find a lot of PUA enthusiasts to be the same.

I think this guy Blanc might end up benefiting from all the publicity and it will be great fodder for his "feminists are such b1tches" mantra but, at the same time, at least the women of Australia don't have to worry about meeting him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I think this guy Blanc might end up benefiting from all the publicity

I think originally it might have been great publicity for him and he probably sat there chuckling to himself about the reaction he was getting, but I think it's gone toxic now.
    It'll be hard to sell yourself as a dating coach or whatever when your biggest claim to fame is that women find you repulsive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Is it not basically what salesmen / advertisers / PR types etc do all the time and no one cares. You tailor what you say to suit the listener - it's basic psychological manipulation.
    If you have trouble pulling women and you don't care that you're basically being an asshole then fire ahead. If it works it works. I don't see anything "wrong" with it per se. (This pick up technique bolloxology I mean, not grabbing women by the throat!) The whole thing just smacks of rampant misogyny and desperation to me, neither of which are attractive qualities in anybody!
    If they just stopped being such pricks and tried to be a bit nicer, friendlier, less grabby and rapey, they probably wouldn't have such a hard time getting women - it's not like women are in short supply.
    If they all tend to avoid you, the problem is you, not them, they can't all be wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭tritium

Yes but again there is nothing positive that can be gained from it that can't be gained elsewhere. So why associate with a community largely based on obnoxious behaviour at all?

Except of course some if these guys have been looking for the different bits for a long time and pua seems to out them all together in one spot for them, possibly even in an more accessable and less costly way. Think of it like doing a weekly shop instead of going to the corner shop every day.

Its actually beautifully packaged and marketed, much like most cults or isms - they know their target market and build a product and packaging to entice that market. Sure it's not subtle when you see it from the outside but I could say the same for many of the movements that routinely get discussed on AH. And like most of those movements, once your inside its easy to be blind to the flaws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

tritium wrote: »

Just look at boards.ie :)

It's not like it's a union. It's quite possible to watch a video or two or read a book and not be associated with them. Even if it goes further, there's not one homogeneous group. They're just people with a shared interest and if there's one shared philosophy it's that men can improve their interactions with women.
    I guess the dickheads will congregate around the PUA dickhead forum. the others will congregate at other forums.

Grayson wrote: »
    Just look at boards.ie :)

It's not like it's a union. It's quite possible to watch a video or two or read a book and not be associated with them. Even if it goes further, there's not one homogeneous group. They're just people with a shared interest and if there's one shared philosophy it's that men can improve their interactions with women.
    I guess the dickheads will congregate around the PUA dickhead forum. the others will congregate at other forums.

Any of the material I've looked at always seems to slide at least somewhat into the unsavoury territory. Just to be clear I'm not trying to claim everyone who takes advice from these things is a doucebag, moron, or anything of the sort. Something about the idea as a whole from what I've seen so far just doesn't sit right with me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

I seriously don't know where people get off on putting their hands on a stranger, be it man or woman. You don't walk up to someone and start touching them, much less put your hands around their neck to chcoke them. It's basic social etiquette. If someone put their hands on me like that my firast instinct would be to lash out. I'm surprised he hasn't been boxed yet or worse. Honestly, his behaviour sounds borderline criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Guy sounds like a total scumbag, not only does he sexually assault the women he treats like a piece of meat he targets low self esteem men to peddle his manipulative crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

MOD: I think it can be a given that almost everyone is against the guy in the OP and there's no real reason to keep this thread, especially considering one side is 100% made up of one person re-reg'ing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement