Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing drivers licence question?

Options
  • 07-11-2014 4:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

So I discovered in order to get an drivers licence here in the states I have to do a road test. I have a full Irish one. My question is this. Since I have a full irish licence do i need to bring a driver with a US licence with me to the test?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

In my experience, no.

I have a full Irish licence and passed the Michigan road test last year. Once I passed the theory test, I was given a temporary permit, which gave me one month to complete the road test.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

jjbrien wrote: »
    So I discovered in order to get an drivers licence here in the states I have to do a road test. I have a full Irish one. My question is this. Since I have a full irish licence do i need to bring a driver with a US licence with me to the test?

Have a look at the website of Dept of Motor Vehicles/Dept of Transport in the state where you are doing your test, or give them a ring. They will have a listing of what you need to do on the day of your test. I highly doubt if you have to bring another person with you, but they may have laws about what driving an unaccompanied person, without a US full license can do. Each state is different & they all have different test/license protocols, so don't presume that what goes on in one state, is the same as your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Dang called the DMV or DVS as they go by these days even though im a full licence driver with an Irish licence I have to bring someone with a local licence with me here in Minnesota

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Dang called the DMV or DVS as they go by these days even though im a full licence driver with an Irish licence I have to bring someone with a local licence with me here in Minnesota

Seems odd. What if you dont know anyone with a local license? I dont understand whats the purpose of having a local with you.

Are you sure they understood when you called that you are legally entitled to drive in the USA? (I'm assuming you're still within the 90 days of arriving/using a foreign licence.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Seems odd. What if you dont know anyone with a local license? I dont understand whats the purpose of having a local with you.

Are you sure they understood when you called that you are legally entitled to drive in the USA? (I'm assuming you're still within the 90 days of arriving/using a foreign licence.)

Seems odd too. I called but it goes though to their call center and the DMV are not the nicest people to deal with in general so Ill try not to annoy them

• Advertisement

Seems odd too. I called but it goes though to their call center and the DMV are not the nicest people to deal with in general so Ill try not to annoy them

Is it possible that this person that you have to bring with you, is a sponsor of some sort? Perhaps they are supposed to go with you & supervise you doing X number of hours driving. Then they go with you to the drivers license office, & declare that yes, you did your X number of hours driving with them, without killing anyone. You are then awarded a license, without having to sit an actual exam. If you don't have that person/sponsor, then you do have to sit the actual test.

Anyway, don't be reluctant to call up their call centre and ask them all the questions that you need to. You aren't going to annoy anyone. If you do, so what? It's their job to answer peoples questions. It's not like they are going to remember you and hold it against you when you go in to get your license.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I'm kind of in the same boat here. I have an Irish license of which I have taken a theory test and passed a practical test in every category. I am moving to Fort Myers early next year, however I will be spending my first few weeks in the twin cities as my wife is from St Paul.
    How long can I drive on my irish license? Will I have to do take the drug awareness course first before applying for a test? Should I just take the test in Florida as that will be my permanent residence?

I'm kind of in the same boat here. I have an Irish license of which I have taken a theory test and passed a practical test in every category. I am moving to Fort Myers early next year, however I will be spending my first few weeks in the twin cities as my wife is from St Paul.
    How long can I drive on my irish license? Will I have to do take the drug awareness course first before applying for a test? Should I just take the test in Florida as that will be my permanent residence?

Do it Florida, if that is where you will be ultimately living. There's no point in getting a Minnesota license, if you'll only be there for a few weeks, as you'll only have swap it for a Florida one when you get to Florida, and is just a waste of time & effort. The US does not have one universal license, the way that we do here. Each state issues their own license, so you generally get it from the state that you are residing in.

Link to the Florida DMV here.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/html/dlnew.html

You can drive in Minnesota on your Irish license for up to 60 days.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/Pages/dvs-content-detail.aspx?pageID=551&pageTitle=Driver%27s%20License%20-%20Class%20D%20%E2%80%93%20New%20Resident

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

I went to apply for a licence in Daytona Beach, Florida last year but I couldn't read the eye test letter with my right eye. She said to get an eye test done and bring the documentation back. I assume they wanted to ensure I had sight in the eye.

I didn't get it done as it was $50 or so for the eye test and wasn't worthwhile for my length of stay however I got a test done when I got back so I will bring that with me for my forthcoming visa. The optician says getting glasses is optional and not compulsory. Hopefully that is sufficient for the licencing office.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Does anyone know what happens if you continue to drive on your Irish license after 60/90 days. I'm in New York 3 years and have never bothered to get a local license (because I don't have a car) but I rent a car a couple of times a year and the rental cars have no problem with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement