Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post in Australia

Options
  • 07-11-2014 5:28am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭

I sent a parcel to Australia by registered post. I was able to track this with my tracking number. The parcel got to Australia and there has been an attempted delivery, if not two of them, with no answer at address. I got the address correct. What happened more than likely is the receiver was out. What happens now with the parcel? Here at home, the postman would drop in a slip of paper to notify you of a parcel or package and to collect at the post office. Does the same thing happen in Australia? I notified my family due to receive my parcel just to give them the heads up about the parcel but still no luck. I find it odd how they didn't even have a slip. Does the parcel get sent back to me?

The attempted delivery was monday, and the parcel still hasn't been delivered or picked up or signed for. It's coming up to Friday evening now over there and still nothing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

They usually leave a card saying where to pick up the parcel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Contact whoever you are sending it to, let them know they should have a pick-up slip from the post office.

Photo ID for receiver is required.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

OK, thanks for this. I don't think they got a card at all. The first thing family knew about an attempted delivery was from my message notifying them with the details from the tracking. Unless if the parcel went to the wrong place and a card was dropped into the wrong postbox/mailbox. I decided to check the austrlian post website and chanced my arm with typing in the tracking number there and it gave me some details. It appears to have reached the right area at delivery (bondi). And now it's gone off to somewhere else. Maybe a post office somewhere.

Contact whoever you are sending it to, let them know they should have a pick-up slip from the post office.

Photo ID for receiver is required.

I did that a few days ago but they had nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Almost certainly the notification card has gone astray, which is a pain. Australia post is pretty bureaucratic, and the chances of the adressees being able simply to turn up at the delivery office without a card, and have the parcel found, and then handed to them, are slim-to-zero.

However you as the sender of the parcel can submit an enquiry on this page in which you can explain that you are able to track the item and delivery has been attempted, but the addressees have not received a notification card. This will hopefully open a dialogue in which you can ask them either to attempt delivery again, this time leaving a card, or else send you a reference number that you can pass to the addressees so that they can go to the delivery office, have the parcel located and given to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Almost certainly the notification card has gone astray, which is a pain. Australia post is pretty bureaucratic, and the chances of the adressees being able simply to turn up at the delivery office without a card, and have the parcel found, and then handed to them, are slim-to-zero.

However you as the sender of the parcel can submit an enquiry on this page in which you can explain that you are able to track the item and delivery has been attempted, but the addressees have not received a notification card. This will hopefully open a dialogue in which you can ask them either to attempt delivery again, this time leaving a card, or else send you a reference number that you can pass to the addressees so that they can go to the delivery office, have the parcel located and given to them.

Not my experience. We have sub contractors here that sometimes don't bother carding people. I regularly turn up at local post office with ID and proof of address and get parcels with no issue. If you have tracking number I think that would definitely seal the deal.

Peregrinus wrote: »

Thanks for this. I filled that form out, so here's hoping it's sorted soon and here's hoping the parcel hasn't been returned to sender (me) so quick and soon.

There still hasn't been movement on this. I filled in the form online and was notified by email that they received the enquiry and it will be dealt with within 48hours.

I've been sitting up reading an Australia forum called whirlpool and there's a long thread about the postal service there which is pure sh1te and postal contractors who are lazy w@nkers.

I'm in tears. I put so much effort into a gift for family who had a baby in Australia. I'm a first time aunt and i'm very excited about that. A huge box of 5kg of bits went over and in it were loads of beautiful items and some unique bits too.

I'm hoping the parcel will be sent back to me now and I'll use a courier at Christmas time but this could even be wishful thinking from reading that other site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Don't take the whirlpool forum as gospel any more than you would boards.ie

The Postal service over here is generally pretty good, but it does depend on where you live as to how well it works.

It is worth having the receiver call into the post office with photo ID, with the enquiry number you have made in hand. I've had stuff sent over before with a wrong post-code on it that got lost for a week or two, it turns up, and they if you have lodged an enquiry it will definitely get attention before it gets posted back around the world.

Follow it up again

Advertisement