Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callan for the weekly shop

Options
  • 07-11-2014 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

At one time we did the weekly grocery shop usually on Saturday or Friday night, we would push our fully loaded trolley to the car with all the food required for the coming week; can we still do that?
    I would say that it is almost impossible, our retailers appear to have no morals in respect to the food being offloaded.
    A few of the staple items, milk, you cannot afford to put that into the trolley without checking the use by date, because you find one carton okay do not presume the rest are the same date, I did and have ended up with no milk for tea or the cereals, whilst on Dairy, yogurts, some really dodgy deals, especially loose pots, then some of the so called family packs have such a short sell by date they won't last the week.
    Butters and spreads they tend to be better, but looking is essential.
    Meat, ah sausages really look hard it is not unknown for late stock to be mixed, and then proper meat will it last for the week? Fresh chicken, to be honest no matter how discounted check suitability, packaged ham and the such like, ideal for sandwiches, yes but what is the date on the pack, yep mixed and great variations.
    Which makes the fresh counter, mm, if they are trying to get you to buy almost out of date stock what is the fresh counter with no dates to give the truth away.
    No problem buy frozen, are you sure we know of someone who got off loaded with ice cream that was seven months out of date, seven months, to be honest I never thought of checking frozen stock, I do now.
    Soft fruit, one of our supermarkets appears afraid of putting a sell by or use by date on it's soft fruit, nice until you get home and find mouldy fruit, the other one loves to mix dates.
    Try eggs, some good and some very dodgy, buying for the week, check.
    Tinned products, gone are the day's when you could trust the retailer.
    A grim picture, yes, so grim I now go to SV in Loughboy and Lidl, I left bread and bread products to last, all stores try and get rid of short dated bread by mixing dates, in fact it is almost a nightmare trying no to get caught.
    If you find outdated stock they will say sorry, in the first place they have a responsibility to ensure the food they sell is fit to eat, they could be breaking the law if it is past the use by date.
    You have been warned, do take care they will take your money.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

This belongs in the conspiracy forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Explain?

Well you seem to have gone on a rant........over a supermarket......again.......for the millionth time and ill ask you a question.........WHY?

Okay, is it fact or fiction, true or false?
    It is not one supermarket it is both and the convenience stores. There is supposed to be consumer protection, health and safety, are food retailers exempt.
    Get it right and then no one complains, pretty simple, unlesws of course you have money to burn.
    Sorry I am not so lucky.

Ok so if you have an issue with a place then there is a simple solution......don't bloody go there. People have worse things going on in their lives then to be worrying about a supermarket, there is plenty of choice out there. Now if you were living in the middle of nowhere id agree it would be an issue but in all fairness Callan is ten minutes away from KK.

unlesws of course you have money to burn.

Do I have money to burn, absolutely not and frankly that is an ignorant comment to make. We all might or might not have the money we would like but we all have one thing and that is a choice, a choice to shop where we like. It is a market flooded with different options on where to go who to shop with so the complaining is never really worth it. Come on Foxy where is your positive posts.

• Advertisement

One accepts your comments, valid of course. It is perhaps being positive in a roundabout way, of course shop elsewhere if you don't like it, could not agree more, a sensible thing to do.
    However do you not agree that we are controlled for almost everything else in life, that retailers should also share a degree of responsibility, you have to remember this is 2014, many things are hi-tech, telephone kiosks are obsolete, bank clerks same, so many things, so why cannot retailers have hi-tech equipment?
    But yes I might go on but surely this is what forums are about, you need not read them, I am high-lighting a problem that should not occur.
    Now if I went on about Tesco would that be positive or negative,
    Foxy the shopper. Anyway thanks for the comment, you no doubt have noticed Foxy is not making many comments these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Thank god..

The negative approach to food is what resulted in horsemeat being used in so called Beef Burgers, can it happen again? Sloppy retail management should not be tolerated in this day and age.
    I quite agree if one has a problem with a supermarket then go elsewhere, don',t shop there, I am told it is only ten minutes to Kilkenny, that would of course depend on ones mode of transport.
    Where does our food come from? perhaps the more enlightened folk can explain why there are marketed foods boldly saying Irish, look at where they were packed, the UK or Europe, so one takes it the product was exported and then re-imported, these are dairy products.
    The barcode is an indication of the origin of a product, unfortunately one of the supermarkets has taken away the numbers so unless you have a bar-code reader you have no idea.
    Added to this using the same brand name for many of the products, one is not sure of what or where your food is coming from, however many famous names are no longer the manufacturer, unfortunately there is no
    law that goods must show the country of origin.
    Take honey, a natural product, look where it originates from, a blend of EU and Non EU Honey on most labels, could be anywhere.
    I try to buy Irish products knowing to a degree they are made in a safe manner and of course they provide employment for our own.
    I do not think it is ranting about an industry where standards are questionable, after all 100% of us eat food and drink, that raises another question mark what is in the drinks?

I think this is where your thread belongs.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=35

obezyana wrote: »
    I think this is where your thread belongs.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Jesus don't do that to those good and unsuspecting people. :-0.:eek:
    What did they do on you to inflicted this on them. 😀:D

• Advertisement

Despite the comments, which as you know my belief is everyone is entitled to make, even if they border on the comical in respect to a serious matter.
    Food hygiene is not a laughing matter, whilst I go on about sell by dates have you never had a carton of milk which has only a very short date and found it to actually be off?
    At the moment we are being bombarded with Christmas adds, lovely of course, but are the retailers stepping up there internal audits in respect to short dated and past the date products sitting on their shelves or in their refrigerators;
    Will the food you start stocking up with prior to Christmas still be useable when you want it?
    There is no such thing as a shoppers charter, no protection for short dated stock selling which is almost as bad as products that have passed the sell or use by dates.
    We do a regular blitz on our fridge and stock cupboard; and as vigiliant as we are there are still items that need to be thrown out, purchased but not used.
    At least the real food people have started to sell off items at a discount which in truth are past their best, I have yet to see this happen with the discounter, where one can find products with very short dates still being sold at the full price.
    Soft fruit does not have a long shelf life, one shop gives a use by date the other does not?
    We need a shoppers charter which all food stores should comply with.
    By the way one joker told me that if I didn't like it go to Kilkenny, I doubt he has ever cycled in to town and tried coming back out with the weeks shop or even tried the bus, some people they just have no idea.
    Foxy for the protection of shoppers.

Despite the comments, which as you know my belief is everyone is entitled to make, even if they border on the comical in respect to a serious matter.
    Food hygiene is not a laughing matter, whilst I go on about sell by dates have you never had a carton of milk which has only a very short date and found it to actually be off?
    At the moment we are being bombarded with Christmas adds, lovely of course, but are the retailers stepping up there internal audits in respect to short dated and past the date products sitting on their shelves or in their refrigerators;
    Will the food you start stocking up with prior to Christmas still be useable when you want it?
    There is no such thing as a shoppers charter, no protection for short dated stock selling which is almost as bad as products that have passed the sell or use by dates.
    We do a regular blitz on our fridge and stock cupboard; and as vigiliant as we are there are still items that need to be thrown out, purchased but not used.
    At least the real food people have started to sell off items at a discount which in truth are past their best, I have yet to see this happen with the discounter, where one can find products with very short dates still being sold at the full price.
    Soft fruit does not have a long shelf life, one shop gives a use by date the other does not?
    We need a shoppers charter which all food stores should comply with.
    By the way one joker told me that if I didn't like it go to Kilkenny, I doubt he has ever cycled in to town and tried coming back out with the weeks shop or even tried the bus, some people they just have no idea.
    Foxy for the protection of shoppers

I'm going to presume the bit I have highlighted is referenced towards me and if so well then you really must stop making assumptions about other people as its very ignorant. Right so ill just say this to you, Yes i have cycled into town and come out with bits of shopping have i done it much...well no as now i have a car. As for the bus i have for many years had to use the bus alot so i did have shopping plus two young kids to and from school so i know how it goes.

Foxy in all fairness you are talking like as if things are against you everywhere you go (or maybe its just in Callan) and you are making alot of silly presumtions that aint doing you no favours.

Anyway good luck with your crusade.

Obe ;)

Wow there, no I am not being ignorant, I appreciate your comment, however either I am not painting the picture right or you are taking this the wrong way.
    I do not think things are against me, however I consider myself a savvy shopper, there are those who maybe do not think the retail trade is out to line it's own pocket, selling out of date food is illegal and leaving short dated food at the full price, well make your own mind up about that.
    If one sets ones self up as a food retailer then you have a responsibility to the general public, in legal terms we must use the man on the Dublin bus.
    I do not want to shop in Kilkenny, I want to buy as much Irish produce as possible in Callan, and as such would campaign for a buy Irish products.
    I have no idea of how you view groceries, at one point SV were selling tinned Chinese strawberries, when we have such a fantastic industry, even now there is Irish cheese and butter on sale which has gone to another country for packing, why the hell.
    Deli counter's not packaged food, what is the life span of the items and how long have they been on sale?
    If you think I am wrong say so and tell me why as consumers we should not be protected.
    If in your opinion I am out of order, tell me and I will abandon not only this thread bu Boards altogether.
    Your decision.

To be honest i don't really care about the shopping scene as there is plenty to choose from so i would feel in my opinion its not worth getting all worried about.

You don't need to abandon Boards sure the KK forum would be nothing without you :) just keep your presumptions to a minimum. :D

Anyho im going to bid you farewell from this thread its getting a bit silly.

Take care Foxy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

Tesco delivery is €4 to callan. Cheaper than the bus or your own car! and a huge time saving. You can check the sell by dates on all products when they are delivered and will be refunded for anything you dont wish to take.

Yes the mention of the Tesco route was a nice touch, however have you ever used the facility, it is first class and can be recommended, however it is perhaps a tad not actual shopping you cannot feel the cucumbers or give other fruits a squeeze and it is difficult to hold a driver up whilst one looks at all the dates and where the food comes from.
    Ideal for the busy executive type, for us country people well it is not quite the thing, you cannot get the feel of shopping, there is no greater frill than going into Lidl's or M&S, Aldi is boring, Supervalu in Callan is perhaps unique in that of all the supermarkets I have ever been in none have ever been in the same league as SV, which is a great shame.
    It is a lovely shop with so much potential.
    Perhaps it is time we closed this thread, so signing off, Good bye and thanks for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Yes the mention of the Tesco route was a nice touch, however have you ever used the facility, it is first class and can be recommended, however it is perhaps a tad not actual shopping you cannot feel the cucumbers or give other fruits a squeeze and it is difficult to hold a driver up whilst one looks at all the dates and where the food comes from.
    Ideal for the busy executive type, for us country people well it is not quite the thing, you cannot get the feel of shopping, there is no greater frill than going into Lidl's or M&S, Aldi is boring, Supervalu in Callan is perhaps unique in that of all the supermarkets I have ever been in none have ever been in the same league as SV, which is a great shame.
    Perhaps it is time we closed this thread, so signing off, Good bye and thanks for reading.

:confused::confused: you were like a kid in a sweet shop the day it opened.

Yay..!!
    Off to The Wheel for a celebratory pint:D

Advertisement