Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

poor suzuki finish

• 07-11-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

The finish on my sv is terrible. The paint is ok, and comes up nice with a good wash and wax, but the engine cases are gone all furry and the paint is starting to lift on some of the engine covers. Anything I can do to stop it? Good clean and lashings of wd40 or something? I have had several suzukis, and they all seem to go like that. Find it rather annoying. I blame the salt on the roads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

lennymc wrote: »
    The finish on my sv is terrible. The paint is ok, and comes up nice with a good wash and wax, but the engine cases are gone all furry and the paint is starting to lift on some of the engine covers. Anything I can do to stop it? Good clean and lashings of wd40 or something? I have had several suzukis, and they all seem to go like that. Find it rather annoying. I blame the salt on the roads.
    It happens to them all, Suzuki and Yamaha are the worst but most bikes suffer from it.
    Try using ACF 50 on the exposed surfaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The Ducati is even worse than the rest. I'm going to get a high temperture paint and redo it as much as I can.
    I've never used ACF50 but I've heard it's amazing. Doesn't perish or discolour any rubber or plastic. €20 a can is worth it if it's as good as they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Suzuki tend to be badly finished but that is why the bikes are cheaper sometimes alot cheaper then the others, if you look after them when fresh they will stay fresh. But others just let the bikes go to ruins alot of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Cienciano wrote: »
    The Ducati is even worse than the rest. I'm going to get a high temperture paint and redo it as much as I can.
    I've never used ACF50 but I've heard it's amazing. Doesn't perish or discolour any rubber or plastic. €20 a can is worth it if it's as good as they say.

It is well worth it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Suzuki tend to be badly finished but that is why the bikes are cheaper sometimes alot cheaper then the others, if you look after them when fresh they will stay fresh. But others just let the bikes go to ruins alot of the time.
    BMW was bad too. As far as I can see, honda are the only ones who do it right. Was put off the ducati when I saw the engine, but was told it happens to them all!

Haven't ACF50'd it up yet, want to paint the engine and it might react with the paint. But have a can of it ready, just need the time to do the motor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

CJhaughey wrote: »
    It happens to them all, Suzuki and Yamaha are the worst but most bikes suffer from it.
    Try using ACF 50 on the exposed surfaces.

Old/cheap yamahas maybe but the modern stuff has the best build quality out of any of the jap bikes. The current hondas are very poorly finished compared to the ones from about 10 years ago.
    I know a guy with 70000km on a gsxr 1000k9 and it looks spotless. It's kept outside too. Maintaining stuff and keeping it clean makes a massive difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Depends where it was made, Yamaha's made in Italy are no where near the same as the ones built in Japan.
    Most bikes have disimproved in quality since the late 80's early 90's.
    Honda's from that era especially the JDM ones are fantastic quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

^^^^this.

Also more & more Honda's are made outside Japan (Thailand etc), so I think things there not as well finished as at home...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..whilst Suzuki are always the value bike, even BMW's do it, so it's not unique.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Depends where it was made, Yamaha's made in Italy are no where near the same as the ones built in Japan.
    Most bikes have disimproved in quality since the late 80's early 90's.
    Honda's from that era especially the JDM ones are fantastic quality.

The late 90's and early 2000s Hondas were the best things ever made for build quality. The 954 was the last of these I think - the 600RR has gradually gotten worse since the first one and the current Blade/CB1000 etc really arent all that good. I was very disappointed with my 08 Blade. After under 1 year of sitting outside under a cover it was rusting and all the fastners looked terrible. It was actually worse than thre 03 ZX6 I had at the time. The fairings were super cheap and flimsy too and easy to break.
    It's up and down with brands too - the Ducati 1199 has really poor finish compared to the 1198 and the 899 doesnt even have clear coat on the paint. It's just one layer stuff that gets ruined by looking at it the wrong way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement