Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best homemade chips ever !,

• 07-11-2014 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm very interested in hearing boardsies homemade chips "recipes", its really about the method I think.

Here's mine...

Potatoes are ideally Maris Piper but I tend to use Roosters as I find it difficult to get MP.

Oil at 170 degrees

Cook for approx 8 mins, or until potatoes are yellowing.

Lift, and increase heat to 190 degrees

Dunk until nice and crispy or brown

Salt them immediately out of the fryer.

Interested to hear triple cook chip recipe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mine are a general oven chip/wedge/roast potato hybrid.

A decent glug of olive oil and two teaspoons of goose fat into a regular size baking tray and into the oven at 180C for 5 mins. Take it out, add the chips and turn each one individually to coat in the grease. Line them up so no overlapping, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper and roast for ~25 mins. Remove, turn them and roast for ~10 mins. Dab with paper towel and serve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

These are without doubt the best chips ever, I think it was Heston bloomin-mental I seen do it. Time consuming though so I rarely bother actually making them.

King Edward spuds if you have them - but any white ones will do really.

Cut your chips - big chunky ones, skinny ones won't turn out well.
    Steam them until they are about 80% cooked. You don't want to be able to mash them but close enough to being cooked.
    Place them on a tray or plate of some sort and let cool for a bit, then stick them in the fridge for about a half an hour. You can skip this part but they are nicer if you don't. Basically you want to dry them out a bit.
    Finally stick them in the deep fat fryer region of 200 degrees for a couple of minutes - just till they are golden.
    Drain.
    Serve.
    Eat.
    Repeat.

Nom nom nom nom:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I covered triple cooking chips in my Cooking Club entry this year. It's dead easy, and they can be stored after the first fry and prepared in minutes when needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

I use Roosters.

1. Cut them into small wedges (think bigger than chips but smaller than wedges :) )
    2. You can either leave the skin on or off, thats a perseonal preference.
    3. Boil them for about 3-4 minutes so they are par boiled.
    4. Drain the chips and pat dry with paper towel. You can let them cool if you have the time and/or place into the fridge to dry out a little.
    5. You have two options now - Healthy and Not So Healthy!!

HEALTHY:
    1. Put the chips into a large bowel and drizzle rapeseed oil all over them. Mix them up well so all the chips have a coating of oil.
    2. Grind some salt and pepper into the bowl. (I usually add either chilli flakes or garlic granules as well!) and mix well.
    3. Put chips onto a chip tray and put into a 200 degree oven for about 25-30 mins or until they are golden brown. Shake the tray about halfway through.
    4. Serve with some dips and eat with some beer.

NOT SO HEALTHY:
    1. Drop the chips into a deep fat fryer at 200 degrees until they are golden brown.
    2. Put the chips into a large bowel and grind some salt and pepper into the bowl. (I usually add either chilli flakes or garlic granules as well!) and mix well.
    3. Serve with some dips and eat with some beer.

I prefer the HEALTHY chips as the not so healthy are a little too crispy for my liking. This, served with a BBQ chargrilled home made burger (mince, spoon of mustard, dash of worcester sauce, onions, chillies, garlic, salt, pepper) with a bottle of beer is food heaven!!

I've talked myself into having this for my dinner this evening now!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I did Chef Steps tripple cooked chips recently. http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/thick-cut-french-fries

Peel spuds and chip into chips
    make a brine with some baking soda and liquid glucose added
    Sous Vide the chips in the brine at 90 degrees untill they are soft
    Cool to room temp
    Deep fry at 130 degrees
    Take them out and freeze them\
    When you want to serve deep fry at 190 degrees

Its a lot of work but the the chips were very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

For those who don't like to deep fry: I have found that the secret to the best home-made oven chips is to use coconut oil.

I peel, slice and par-boil my spuds. Allow the spuds to steam-dry.

Then preheat the oven to about 210, and melt a few tablespoons of coconut oil in there in the roasting pan.

Add the chips into the hot fat and roast until golden and crispy.

PS I don't like deep frying because of handling the leftover oil - not for health reasons. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I covered triple cooking chips in my Cooking Club entry this year. It's dead easy, and they can be stored after the first fry and prepared in minutes when needed.

I followed the recipe a few times and was extremely pleased with the results :D Might have a few I froze tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

here is my method for trice cooked chips, i refined it over the years to make it as fast as possible(otherwise its really slow). It takes about 30mins! and gives a great result.

for 1 large portion.
    put a large pot of water on the boil.
    4 large roosters pealed and chopped.
    add the raw chips to the boiling water.
    turn on your deep fat fryer to full.
    allow the water to come back to the boil and then time 3 minutes.
    when 3 mins is done, dump the lot into the sink and allow the water to drain down the sink
    turn on the cold water and put the plug in let the chips sit in the cold water while waiting on the deep fryer to reach temp.
    When the fryer is ready drain the chips and put into the basket and then into the fryer. Make sure to use a nice deep fryer as the oil will rise a lot and bubble like mad :)
    Let them cook for about 30 secs and then lift out the basket.
    Allow the deep fat fryer to come back up to full temp and then dunk the basket of chips in again.
    Cook for about 3 mins but don't allow the chips to colour.
    After 3 mins remove the basket and let it drain.
    Dunk the basket of chips into a sink full of cold water and let them sit for 3-4mins.
    Pull out the basket and let the water drain off.
    Dunk the basket back into the deep fryer for 30 sec and then out again and let the oil come back up to full temp.
    Then back into the fryer with the basket until the chips are a nice colour you prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I was reading Tony Bourdain’s Les Halles cookbook at the weekend and he mentions Idaho potatoes – I assume these can’t be bought in Ireland? The only thing they seem to have going for them is their size (large) anyway, advantageous for making frites. I guess maris pipers are the equivalent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

From experience (I don't own a deep fryer currently as they're too messy), I find/found par-boiling and refrigerating before frying to be important/make a difference. Par boiling gives jagged edges and increases crispiness as the oil clings to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2515/chunky-oven-chips

This is my go to chip recipe. I like a little shake of dried rosemary or thyme as they go in the oven and flakes of sea salt when they come out. As well as groundnut oil I've tried spirulina (yuck), olive (wasteful of good olive oil I think as the oven's too hot for it), sunflower (don't really notice it), rapeseed (better than sunflower) and coconut oils (very nice) as well as lard (also very nice) and duck/goose fat (the best of all).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I've tried spirulina (yuck).

Spirulina oil? Like, algae oil? Oh be the hokey that does not sound nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

For those who don't like to deep fry: I have found that the secret to the best home-made oven chips is to use coconut oil.

I peel, slice and par-boil my spuds. Allow the spuds to steam-dry.

Then preheat the oven to about 210, and melt a few tablespoons of coconut oil in there in the roasting pan.

Add the chips into the hot fat and roast until golden and crispy.

PS I don't like deep frying because of handling the leftover oil - not for health reasons. :)

Stupid question for you, do they not come out tasting of coconut??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

madmaggie wrote: »
    Stupid question for you, do they not come out tasting of coconut??

No not at all. I use KTC oil, which is odourless and tasteless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Microwave floury potatoes until just soft - not too much they will fall apart. Remove skins, if preferred, and cut into chips.
    Deepfry at 180 degrees centigrade until golden brown. Delicious.

Advertisement