Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finest piece of marketing/advertising you can remember

• 07-11-2014 12:58pm
    Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Somewhere out there, huddled in a brainstorming session are groups of marketing execs & their juniors trying to come up with the next Whattttttsuuuup or Ice Bucket Challenge to catch the zeitgeist.

The only ad campaign I can remember affecting me was Captain Ahab White Horses Guinness ad that ran years ago. It was around the time Guinness draught had come out in cans & I remember buying a 6 pack on the back of the ad.

More recently, The Wild Atlantic Way, has been the most deserving of praise in my eyes.
    Somewhere in an office a while ago somebody threw out this idea, sold it to his colleagues & got the traction of Bord Failte & the County Councils.
    That person should be allowed to retire at 35 & every county on the western seaboard should send then an annual thank you cheque.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Ads of people frying rashers always make me want a big messy rasher sandwich :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

The new John Lewis christmas ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Lucky Strike latching onto the suffrage movement to sell cigarettes to women. Prior to that no "proper" woman smoked, it's was primarily a male thing to do.

Edward Bernays is known as the father of PR because of the phenomenal success of his campaign. He hired attractive women to join in on marches while smoking, so that they would be picked up by the media with a cigarette in their hands/mouths and would be admired by other women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torches_of_Freedom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Lucky Strike latching onto the suffrage movement to sell cigarettes to women. Prior to that no "proper" woman smoked, it's was primarily a male thing to do.

Edward Bernays is known as the father of PR because of the phenomenal success of his campaign. He hired attractive women to join in on marches while smoking, so that they would be picked up by the media with a cigarette in their hands/mouths and would be admired by other women.

Jesus, how old are you that you remember marketing campaigns from 1929?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Coca-Cola's wheeze of putting names on bottles of sugary water was something I thought too lame for words when it started but apparently it's been a hit.
    I guess that's why I don't work in marketing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

"yeah, but its breakfast time back home"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Ha, missed the "you can remember" bit.

One in recent times would have to be the Old Spice super bowl ad. I don't ever recall seeing such an old, dying brand that has such a strong association with old people make such a massive come back and become relevant with young people again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Left me thinking Sony were the manufacturer of flat screen tvs.

(disclaimer: I love SF as well so this was a double whammy)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

De Beers marketing campaign to make shelling out a small fortune for a Diamond engagement ring an integral part of the courtship process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

It was discussed in Adam Curtis' documentary 'The Century of the Self'. It's one of the famous early examples of psychological marketing/propaganda/advertising.

The John Lewis ad is doing the rounds alright, I just never knew until this year that it's been their 'thing' for donkey's years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Coke and when they gave out those watches. Not a drop of pepsi was touched over those summers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Coca Cola in general I would say, the names on the bottles, Christmas ads that they run, even a normal ad of a bottle or can of coke being opened is very effective, I'd say they have consistently had the best marketing/advertising scheme in my lifetime anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Tabnabs wrote: »

This. There was also an ad at the time about the dangers of your house erupting into a fireball if you were a smoker or if you played with matches. Remember something along the lines of a couch erupting into flames after everybody had gone to sleep, along with a voiceover of dire warnings that this could be you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Those "antique portraits" of Arthur Guinness that were actually flat screens and came to life every now and then for a few seconds. It was hilarious watching groups of drunks doubt one of their mates sanity.
    I'm telling you he waved at me
    Course he did mick, maybe you should have an aul lucozade or something.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭oisinog

Any of the DOE adverts up in the north be it speed kills or drink driving kills are very good, so much so i hate watching them.

I think the best advert is te guy dancing while his Guinness settled

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

...and whatever made John Player Blue the default cigarette in Ireland!

Disgusting things...taste like paper and chemicals.

---

A great one was by Kellogg's...convincing generations of people that a pile of carbs and sugar covered in milk was the only way to start the day. Although I read recently that their profits have taken a whack over the last few years. I guess people are realising there are better ways to break the fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Saatchi & Saatchi's 'Labour isn't working' campaign for the Tories in 1981.

Note sure if it's just urban legend for add geeks but there is the similar stories of the ad agencies that helped alka selzer and some shampoo company practically double their sales over night.
    They changed alka selzers slogan from "plink, fizz" to "plink, plink, fizz" and the instructions on the shampoo from "Lather. Rinse" to "Lather. Rinse. Repeat."
    People just used twice as much for no reason!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

This Audi ad from the mid-nineties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Note sure if it's just urban legend for add geeks but there is the similar stories of the ad agencies that helped alka selzer and some shampoo company practically double their sales over night.
    They changed alka selzers slogan from "plink, fizz" to "plink, plink, fizz" and the instructions on the shampoo from "Lather. Rinse" to "Lather. Rinse. Repeat."
    People just used twice as much for no reason!

Hmm perhaps, I always thought showing two chewing gums falling out of a packet was to show they were all uniform in colour but apparently it was to encourage people to have two at a time. I don't know anyone that eats two pieces though.

I think, annoying as it is to some people, the ComparetheMarket/Meerkat.com assocation is genius. I like to think some junior exec was laughed at when they first pitched it, only for the boardroom to come round like 12 Angry Men!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

cdb wrote: »
    This Audi ad from the mid-nineties.

Is that Wesley from Buffy/Angel at the end?

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

mike_ie wrote: »
    This. There was also an ad at the time about the dangers of your house erupting into a fireball if you were a smoker or if you played with matches. Remember something along the lines of a couch erupting into flames after everybody had gone to sleep, along with a voiceover of dire warnings that this could be you.

"Where's Grandad?"

Back before tellys were widescreen....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Tabnabs wrote: »

My uncle is the Garda in that video. I still use it to woo the ladies :D

Neyite wrote: »
    "Where's Grandad?"

Nobody was safe in Ireland back then. death was around every corner. Though to be fair, looking at that ad again, it looks like Grandad might have topped himself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

IW are doing a great job at selling their product.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'Big Ed Loves Mona'.
    Early to mid80s Ireland some time.

And we all loved Mona until the healthy bastards made them stop selling delicious full fat yogurt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

"YORKIE - ITS NOT FOR GIRLS"

Sales almost doubled overnight as disgruntled girls of all ages worldwide fell for it and went out buying Yorkie bars to prove the bastards wrong.

Genius !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Bulmers over Ice

razorblunt wrote: »
    I don't know anyone that eats two pieces though.

You do now razorblunt.
    Shít, and there was me thinking they wouldn't pull the wool over my eyes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

quad_red wrote: »
    Is that Wesley from Buffy/Angel at the end?

Yep. Not that he cares he's married to willow now.

This has what may be one of the worst adverts of the last year in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

You do now razorblunt.
    Shít, and there was me thinking they wouldn't pull the wool over my eyes!

Ah I'd shake your hand but your chewing exploits would leave me with the impression you were a serial gurner on a come down from some disco biscuits! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

would you like to ride with batman?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I always loved the Mr. Kipling ads. Like the one where he throws a stick into the river and the dog goes after it and drowns.

"Mummy! Mr. Kipling just killed Fluffy!"

"Yes, but he does make exceedingly good cakes."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Coca Cola in general I would say, the names on the bottles, Christmas ads that they run, even a normal ad of a bottle or can of coke being opened is very effective, I'd say they have consistently had the best marketing/advertising scheme in my lifetime anyway.

Ferris Bueller! :eek:

You'll probably remember Coca-Cola's cheesiest and probably most successful advertising campaign of the 80's then -

And around the same time, Levi's 501's enjoyed a rise in popularity thanks to this rather controversial for it's time advertising campaign -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Not sure if this counts but there is(was?) a scaffolding business called Scapphire. I always liked that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I don't remember that being nearly as racist :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Guinness had a great line in commercials and marketing.

For some reason, just about every tv ad put out by insurance companies in particular is either ho-hum or downright irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Maybe not directly connected to the "finest" piece of advertising but it did get me thinking.

Clever = Nintendo (I think) advertising that the order in which letters appeared was not important as long as the first and last ones were in the correct place and suggesting people shouldn't spend as much time studying.

Impressive = Jean Claude Van Damme/Volvo ad - Splits on reversing trucks.

Favourite = Aer Lingus ad with Gabriel's Oboe from late 80's. Loved, loved, loved this. To this day can't hear the music without thinking of the ad. Everything about it was a trillion miles from what travel with lo-cost airlines has become.

Hate = Any ad with supposedly stereotypical nuclear family behaving like no family ever did.

Iwillneverbuytheirproductbecauseofthatad = The White Book - Radio ad just as sh*t was going down in 2008 suggesting all exclusive coffee tables contained the foremost publication on interior design. Lady on the ad sounded like she had her head so far up her own ass that it was back on top of her shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

IKEA make some very funny and witty ads

One of my faves is from Berlitz, they are a German language school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Toys/Bike reflectors in Kelloggs Cereals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Not a specific ad - but what about 'Coke'? Double blind taste testing against Pepsi clearly shows that people prefer the taste of Pepsi - when they don't know what they are drinking.

But when they know, most people prefer Coke.

They even attached electrodes to monitor brain activity, and when people knew they were drinking Coke, different sections of the brain lighted up.

Ads so strong, they rewire your brain. Always, Coca-cola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

This has to be one of the best radio ads of all time. Every time I hear it, it makes we want to be a kid again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

strobe wrote: »
    Not sure if this counts but there is(was?) a scaffolding business called Scapphire. I always liked that.
    How about Schindlers Lifts ?

An elevator company founded in 1874

• Advertisement
Advertisement