Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 World Weightlifting Championships

• 07-11-2014 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

The 2014 World Weightlifting Championships starts tomorrow. It's being held in Almaty, Kazakhstan.

Here's the start list Link

Some very big names on the list and we're likely to see some record attempts. The 85kg class is shaping up to be one of the best and most competitive comps in recent memory.

Ireland will have three two representatives this year. Neil Dougan (69kg), Cathal Byrd (85kg) and Kevin D'arcy (94kg).

Keep an eye on allthingsgym for details on how to watch Link

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Kevin is not competing as he is injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Molly wrote: »
    Kevin is not competing as he is injured

Shame. Thanks for the heads up!

Supers appear to be shaping up too. Lovchev just posted this on instagram. 220kg snatch off blocks.

http://instagram.com/p/vGVPmQpRtk/

Live Stream

I think this will only be streaming the B, C and D groups.

Eurosport will have live coverage of the A groups starting from tomorrow. Women's A groups will be at 10:00 Irish time and Men's A groups will be 13:00 Irish time.

Live Scoreboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm curious to see where 'Lift The World' is shown in Ireland after its premiere at the WC.

• Advertisement

I'm curious to see where 'Lift The World' is shown in Ireland after its premiere at the WC.

It has been distributed freely to tv stations but I doubt any Irish station will show it. Your best bet would be to subscribe to the IWF youtube channel and wait to see if it is uploaded there in the coming weeks.

Link

I suppose there might be a chance Eurosport might show it as they are doing the tv coverage of the championship.

DylanJM wrote: »
    It has been distributed freely to tv stations but I doubt any Irish station will show it. Your best bet would be to subscribe to the IWF youtube channel and wait to see if it is uploaded there in the coming weeks.

Link

I suppose there might be a chance Eurosport might show it as they are doing the tv coverage of the championship.

Aye, I saw they were distributing it freely but unless TG4 showed an interest, it'd be online.

Saw a couple of trailers online and it looks really interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Neil Dougan went 104 / 135 / 239 to finish 37th of 37 ranked competitors (five lifters failed to record a total), 21kgs off 36th place. Tough level of competition!!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Neil Dougan went 104 / 135 / 239 to finish 37th of 37 ranked competitors (five lifters failed to record a total), 21kgs off 36th place. Tough level of competition!!

The capital strength instagram has videos.

http://instagram.com/p/vKyNUjtmly/

Cathal Byrd lifted earlier on today. Went 120/160/280 @ 85kg.

http://instagram.com/p/vThxSmNmox/

The 77's today were awesome. Daniel Goddelli (Albania) took the overall with 171/198/369. Took an attempt at the 13 year old C+J record too.

http://instagram.com/p/vTbQ3Lj_CT/

• Advertisement

Can't get the link for it at the moment but just saw Klokov snatch 200kg in the training hall.

Noice.

Can't get the link for it at the moment but just saw Klokov snatch 200kg in the training hall.

Noice.

Yup.

http://instagram.com/p/vS-GmviBSx/

Awesome.

85's on tomorrow which I am already very excited about! Women's 63 should be good too.

Noice.

I'd say he's a little overweight there, maybe 110ish, and hasn't had to cycle off. Still, hell of a marker for the competition.

I'd say he's a little overweight there, maybe 110ish, and hasn't had to cycle off. Still, hell of a marker for the competition.

I'd have said that would be countered (though not completely) by the amount of travelleing he's been doing and 'normal' training being a little less than optimal.

I'd have said that would be countered (though not completely) by the amount of travelleing he's been doing and 'normal' training being a little less than optimal.

Sure, but everyone on the competition platform has to pass a drug test after, he doesn't.

Ultimately seems like he's where he needs to be if he wants to give qualifying for Rio a shot next year.

Sure, but everyone on the competition platform has to pass a drug test after, he doesn't.

Ultimately seems like he's where he needs to be if he wants to give qualifying for Rio a shot next year.

I'm not disagreeing, per se.

Just that while he doesn't have to cycle off he's hardly getting the full bang for his buck.

I read that he's gonna kick back into serious training early next year so he'll be aiming for Rio, injury permitting.

Unfortunately I doubt Klokov has much of a chance of being selected to go to Rio. He'll be 33 at that stage and I have a feeling he isn't very popular with the Russian weightlifting federation after 2012. They also have younger prospects coming through that will likely be in their prime in two years time.

Unfortunately I doubt Klokov has much of a chance of being selected to go to Rio. He'll be 33 at that stage and I have a feeling he isn't very popular with the Russian weightlifting federation at the minute. They have younger prospects coming through at the minute that will more likely be selected.

Can he not qualify at next year's WCs and take the choice out of their hands?

Can he not qualify at next year's WCs and take the choice out of their hands?

I don't think so. Countries earn points at qualification events which translate to spots in the Olympics. The federation then selects who fills those spots. At least that's how I think it works anyway, I may be wrong.

• Advertisement

I don't think so. Countries earn points at qualification events which translate to spots in the Olympics. The federation then selects who fills those spots. At least that's how I think it works anyway, I may be wrong.

I think there are criteria for individual qualification but I just looked at them and they probably wouldn't apply.

Besides, in all honesty, it's probably not as impressive to the Russian coaches as it is to the likes of me.

They might take note if he did it under 105, without straps, under testing and with a C&J of about 235 or thereabouts after it :)

I think there are criteria for individual qualification but I just looked at them and they probably wouldn't apply.

Besides, in all honesty, it's probably not as impressive to the Russian coaches as it is to the likes of me.

They might take note if he did it under 105, without straps, under testing and with a C&J of about 235 or thereabouts after it :)

I think wildcards can be granted to certain athletes. I think they are only given to exceptional lifters from countries that haven't enough other good lifters to earn points for an Olympic spot.

Good lifting in the womens 63 class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

The 85's at 1pm today? I should have taken an extra day off work :(

Klokov will have to win Russian Champs and medal at Worlds. Then they'll have no choice

85s just finished. Really good comp and very high standard of lifting. Rostami took gold(391), Markov in silver(390) and Okulov in bronze(385).

North Korean Jo Pok Hyang from the women's 63 earlier on.

IlliterateEagerImago.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

North Korean Jo Pok Hyang from the women's 63 earlier on.

IlliterateEagerImago.gif

I'd make that too if I had a sniper trained on me :P

105's just finished Ilya takes it with 190+242. Nurudinov 2nd with 193+239. Bedzhanyan 3rd with 187+240.

The clean and jerk record at the start of the session was 238kg and by the end of the session had been broken three times with lifts of 239, 240 and 242.

Amazing!

Three lifts in a row no less. It was intense!! The place went wild after Ilya stuck the 242, everyone oozing patriotic mucus everywhere - what sport is all about. :pac:

• Advertisement

Three lifts in a row no less. It was intense!! The place went wild after Ilya stuck the 242, everyone oozing patriotic mucus everywhere - what sport is all about. :pac:

I managed to get some dodgy videos of all three.

Nurudinov 239kg

Bedzhanyan 240kg

Ilyin 242kg

Fantastic lifting!

Came across an awesome angle on instagram.

http://instagram.com/p/vbfSdVMvbs/

Came across an awesome angle on instagram.

http://instagram.com/p/vbfSdVMvbs/

Yes!! I picked up on that on the replay from that side. You can see people getting to their feet in anticipation after he makes the clean. Reminds me of the classic:

In that sense, Worlds in Houston next year or even the Olympics in Rio is going to be a damp squib to some extent as there will be no home town lifters being awesome. Ilya and the 229 C & J in the 94s were just amazing spectacles, can't beat watching a place go nuts like that.

That was unreal. I was rooting for Nurudinov. I thought Ilya was done when he missed the second. I read that he planned and visualised all his lifts months in advance, when he missed his second I thought he was goosed because it messed with the plan. The man has this aura of invincibility, arrogance and confidence. There's a sense of inevitability when he shows up on an entry list. It's amazing to witness an individual like this at the height of his powers.

/feels

I definitely think Nurudinov could the man to beat by the time Rio rolls around. He had knee surgery in August and had only jerked 215kg in the run up to this competition. He looks capable of snatching 195+ and jerking 240+ when fully fit.

From what I saw yesterday I can't really see Ilya putting a whole lot more on his snatch, he'll probably clean and jerk 245+ though. That said, a lot can happen between now and then though and I'm certainly not writing off Ilya :D

Part of me hopes Aramnau has one last hurrah at Rio and blows everyone away. Despite the madness yesterday he still has the total WR. I think he's past it though unfortunately :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

New women's WR snatch in the 75kg+ cat

155kg @ 106kg BW by the Russian Tatiana Kashrina

Outrageous stuff

• Advertisement

Outrageous stuff

She outlifted one of the male US 105s :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Outrageous stuff

And a 193 CJ for a 348 total. 14kg on the previous one. Absolutely unreal.
    She outlifted one of the male US 105s

In fairness she's probably got higher testosterone levels than they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

From what I saw yesterday I can't really see Ilya putting a whole lot more on his snatch, he'll probably clean and jerk 245+ though. That said, a lot can happen between now and then though and I'm certainly not writing off Ilya :D

I don't know. He's only been a 105 for a year really, if even that. He'll get stronger I'd say and his snatch should edge closer to 195 or 200 even. God knows where his CJ could go. Nuridinov will get better too though. Rio should be good. I'd say one or both won't lift at next year's worlds.

Outrageous stuff

nearly the lightest in the group too. Her progress over the last two years has been nuts. She was missing C&J in the 170s not too long ago. Wonder if she's gonna be the first woman to crack 200kg on the clean and jerk.

Advertisement