Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaflets in Letterbox

Options
  • 07-11-2014 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

Normally when people put junk mail through my letterbox they have the good manners to push it all the way in and leave nothing showing on the outside.

This morning a company called "Murphys liquidation furniture" are posting leaflets all over the town but leaving most of the leaflet outside the letterbox as a flag to all manner of scumbag who will see them in a few days as an indication that those houses with a leaflet are empty and available to break into to strip out the copper.

I contacted this company at their Wexford office and to say they weren't interested is an understatement. I was told first they had nothing to do with it then that they might have a word with those responsible. Seems like a lazy operation who won't be too concerned about a customers issues if they can't even post their junk mail in a responsible manner.

I will be going around later removing these leaflets wherever I see them and if the company got fined for littering for posting the leaflets as they do it will be justice served in my opinion.

I have no connection to this or any other furniture company or any leaflet company.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

150 € fine for littering for each offence. Tell Murphy's that and see if they react. Wasters

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Used to be the defacto way of delivering those 'charity' clothing collection labels. Now that they're regulated I only get the odd one but nearly always left hanging out. BTW, I wouldn't go removing items from someone else's letter box as that may be tantamount to theft but if you really feel driven to action just push items on through instead.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I used deliver flyers/newspapers door to door.
    To lessen the abuse I'd hear I wore headphones & pretended to be Polish so they gave up early on in the bollicking.
    I used make €330 a week for the papers & €150 per flyer all cash in hand, about 16 hours work per week.
    I used bring my dog with me in case we met other dogs, he'd look after them.
    I was given 5,000 but only ever delivered about 2,000 max.
    Anything undelivered was taken for free by Smurfits recycling up in Ballymount.
    Did it for 3 years, made a fortune as I also had my 9-5 income, saved a 25% deposit for a house.
    When I packed in the job they had a big send off for me as I was the best delivery guy they ever had.
    All of the above is true.

The reason they don't push the flyer in fully is the insulation brushes on most letterboxes nowadays.
    The printing company use really cheap paper which scrunches up when pushed against it so it's easier just trap it with the flap.
    We used fold the flyers to stiffen them but got told off as apparently very few people bother unfolding them so the advertising potential is lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭hadepsx

I used deliver flyers/newspapers door to door.
    To lessen the abuse I'd hear I wore headphones & pretended to be Polish so they gave up early on in the bollicking.
    I used make €330 a week for the papers & €150 per flyer all cash in hand, about 16 hours work per week.
    I used bring my dog with me in case we met other dogs, he'd look after them.
    I was given 5,000 but only ever delivered about 2,000 max.
    Anything undelivered was taken for free by Smurfits recycling up in Ballymount.
    Did it for 3 years, made a fortune as I also had my 9-5 income, saved a 25% deposit for a house.
    When I packed in the job they had a big send off for me as I was the best delivery guy they ever had.
    All of the above is true.

The reason they don't push the flyer in fully is the insulation brushes on most letterboxes nowadays.
    The printing company use really cheap paper which scrunches up when pushed against it so it's easier just trap it with the flap.
    We used fold the flyers to stiffen them but got told off as apparently very few people bother unfolding them so the advertising potential is lost.

if you dont mind me asking where was this work, in dublin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Got a few of these leaflets in my house in Graigue.

Into the bin with them and I take no notice!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

hadepsx wrote: »
    if you dont mind me asking where was this work, in dublin?

I varied between Naas, Newbridge & Clane over the 3 years.
    I finished up nearly 10 years ago.

Nowadays door to door delivery companies require their staff to wear GPS trackers & you work to their shedule. No money in it anymore, just huge turnover of kids.

Advertisement