Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mould Removal

Options
  • 07-11-2014 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Recently moved into a new apartment and have noticed a smell of mould in one of the rooms.

Landlord has agreed to have it looked at. Can anyone recommend a good mould removal service in the Dublin area?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭spectre

Don't know of any service but getting rid of the mould is a temporary solution.

If you're taking care of it yourself, I recommend a combination of agents.

1. Use a bleach based mould killer to clean any visible mould.
    2. Use distilled vinegar afterwards to kill the fungus.

NB: Unless you solve the root cause, the mould will reappear.

It's often an issue in apartment bathrooms without windows. Those extractor fan's just don't do the job properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 markios

Thanks. I will try to deal with it myself if unable to find a professional service.

Would rather use a professional service if at all possible to make sure the job is done properly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭paul71

markios wrote: »
    Thanks. I will try to deal with it myself if unable to find a professional service.

Would rather use a professional service if at all possible to make sure the job is done properly

To be honest there really is no professional service that I can think of who would remove mould as the mould is not the issue, the dampness causing the mould is the true issue and that needs to be looked at by an engineer/builder not a cleaner.

I think I didn't explain properly what I was looking for.

Would be looking for someone not just to clean the mould, but to do an assesment on what caused it in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Where is the mould? Inside or outside wall, top or bottom, around windows? Do you have ventilation in the room, is it open or blocked?

• Advertisement

There is a smell in the hall and one of the bedrooms.

I can't see any obvious blue or black marks though as to where it is coming from which has me worried.

I've dealt with mold in another property before cleaning first with soap and then with bleach, but I can't see any visible signs of it in this case. Just the smell

There is a smell in the hall and one of the bedrooms.

I can't see any obvious blue or black marks though as to where it is coming from which has me worried.

I've dealt with mold in another property before cleaning first with soap and then with bleach, but I can't see any visible signs of it in this case. Just the smell

I will have to check the ventilation situation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

markios wrote: »
    Would be looking for someone not just to clean the mould, but to do an assesment on what caused it in the first place

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

There may be or have been a leak in the property at some stage.

Also, happens where people dry clothes indoors without proper ventilation.

Using bathroom ( anti-mould ) wall & ceiling paints may help if the building is old or where there are cold spots on walls or around windows.

Measure humidity in the rooms. Many people use dehumidifiers to take the moisture from the air.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dehumidifiers/b/ref=dp_bc_3?ie=UTF8&node=3593780031

Remember moisture = mould !

Beware of builders with comments like " the whole lot will have to come out!!!"

Many old buildings have mould issues so don't over think the solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP some houses and apartments just have a smell. Mould is extremely easy to treat. HG mould spray is expensive but the only thing that works. It kills the mould spore and causes the mould to melt into nothing. Rather than just cleaning it like bleach.

Regular mould carries no risk, so I cant see any benefits to getting a "professional" to look at it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement