Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fridge Removal

Options
  • 07-11-2014 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi, I need some advice. I have moved into an apartment where the fridge freezer is faulty. I have made a not of this to the estate agent and they said they would replace it. I have waited 3 weeks without a fridge so decided to Buy in a new one myself. I asked them if they could remove the old one as it is not my property, they said it is my responsibilty to remove the old one. Is this true or should they have not rented the property to me with a faulty firdge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Hi, I need some advice. I have moved into an apartment where the fridge freezer is faulty. I have made a not of this to the estate agent and they said they would replace it. I have waited 3 weeks without a fridge so decided to Buy in a new one myself. I asked them if they could remove the old one as it is not my property, they said it is my responsibilty to remove the old one. Is this true or should they have not rented the property to me with a faulty firdge.

It's actually the responsibility of whoever you bought the fridge from. They should have collected the old one when they delivered the new one according to WEEE rules. That's assuming you have consent to get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Buying one was a bad mistake on your part:

If you get rid of the faulty one, and take yours when you go, then you won't have one left in the apartment when you finally leave, even though there was one when you moved in. So the cost of a replacement will be taken from your deposit.

Or you can just leave the one you have purchased when you leave - and again you will have paid the whole price of the fridge.

So your options are basically to keep the faulty one around to avoid the situation above, or to get your delivery people to come back and remove it. Unless you have lots of space, then
    Rock | You | Hard Place

What you should have done was ring the agent every day, and get their agreement first for you to purchase the replacement and them to pay you back. I guess you could try negotiating with them now - good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Leave the faulty fridge where it is and continue to use yours. When you leave - either lift and shift it, or flog it on Done Deal. Did you tell the agent in writing the fridge was faulty?

Advertisement