Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed limit: R446

Options
  • 07-11-2014 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the speed limit is for this road? Have a driving test soon enough and have to go down it.

It's a regional road so I'd have thought 80km/h but a friend of mine says it's 100 km/h.

Is there anyway to find out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

In typical Irish fashion - you go by the last speed limit sign you passed. Doesn't matter if you join a new road. In theory, there should be a speed limit sign adjacent to each connecting road, but not always in practice. The R446 is an example of that.

So it literally depends on what portion of the R446 you're on.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2793102,-8.9715639,3a,75y,67.92h,75.66t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s4kNeYXGLeKOWz0b3l8MU_g!2e0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

it looks to be a 100 kmph

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Lockstep wrote: »

The sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

I've never known of a driving test to go down a motorway or dual carriageway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Sofa King wrote: »

I was taken through a dual carriageway in my driving test. But, I haven't heard of being taken on a motorway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

mac.in wrote: »
    I was taken through a dual carriageway in my driving test. But, I haven't heard of being taken on a motorway though.

That's because it would be illegal. Learner drivers cannot drive on motorways. A tester is not going to instruct you to do something illegal.

Dual carriageway is fine

mac.in wrote: »

Assuming you did your test in Cork, as did I.

I never went next or near the Wilton Roundabout at the time, I went right (as you leave the test centre) and head to Togher and then Wilton from that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

^^^
    Doubt it, seeing it's in the Galway Forum.

^^^
    Doubt it, seeing it's in the Galway Forum.

His location says Cork, so I can only assume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Lockstep wrote: »
    Anyone know what the speed limit is for this road? Have a driving test soon enough and have to go down it.

It's a regional road so I'd have thought 80km/h but a friend of mine says it's 100 km/h.

Unless there have been bye-laws passed recently no, the only way to find out is to drive the road.

From Oranmore in to Doughiska it's 100km both ways, I can't remember what the limit on the section between the Coolagh RAB and Doughuika is.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Assuming you did your test in Cork, as did I.

I never went next or near the Wilton Roundabout at the time, I went right (as you leave the test centre) and head to Togher and then Wilton from that direction.

I did take the test in Cork. But, for me, I was taken to the Sarsfield Roundabout (after taking a left turn in the main road that is immediately next to the Test Centre) and then the third exit on to the South Ring Road (now it's N40). Later on, I was taken through the exit to the Togher. But while returning to the Test Centre I came through the road where you were taken in the beginning of your test (i.e. turning right in the main road).
    That's because it would be illegal. Learner drivers cannot drive on motorways. A tester is not going to instruct you to do something illegal.

Dual carriageway is fine

Yes! you gave a valid point (that I had forgotten) about the motorways. It substantiate my understanding though. :D
    His location says Cork, so I can only assume.

I agree that as this is the Galway City, the practice may be different. But that I mentioned in my previous post could be possible with regard to the driving rules. I said that in response to your post which I thought was speaking generally and not specifically for Galway. Apologies if it caused a confusion.

Advertisement