Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Leaving O2

• 07-11-2014 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I'd welcome any opinions on this. I've been with O2 since I got the iPhone 3G in 2008 and have managed to upgrade every 12 months since, getting a new iPhone and selling my old one. I'm on an old plan, Advance 150 with 2GB data, €40 a month. It's not bad, but more data would be nice. Now, it seems that the possibility of a new 12-month contract (or a 12-month extension to my exisitng contract) is no longer feasible: they're quoting me €510 for a 64GB iPhone 6 on a 12-month contract. (Back in 2012, they gave me a 32GB iPhone 5 for €280 on a 12-month contract, so times have changed, obviously.)

So, I think the thing to do, given that it appears I have to get a 24-month contract anyway, is move from O2 and it looks like 3 have the best data deal, isn't that right? The thing is, though, they don't allow tethering ("It's company policy"), which is a shame. But I can't decide if it's a dealbreaker or not.

Although O2 will let me stay on my current (old) plan if I sign up for 24 months, they're pushing to move me to a new plan that gives 4GB data but is €55 per month, so €15 extra for an extra 2GB of data, which seems a hefty price to pay.

Any advice or thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Those older planes had very good data addons, i used to have 12gb for €20 iirc. Have you asked them about an addon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭iniall

guil wrote: »
    Those older planes had very good data addons, i used to have 12gb for €20 iirc. Have you asked them about an addon?

Hmmm not sure if they're available for older plans and they don't allow you check older plan details online, so I'll have to call them. I'd be happy enough to stay if they can work something out. Although I presume they'll start merging O2 and 3 accounts at some stage anyway...

EDIT: There's an option on the mobile app to buy additional Internet add-ons: €10.16 for 700MB!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

I don't think that I'd leave O2 for 3 just now, as you'll be signing into a new contract with 3, but in the new year, O2 and 3 will become all one network, so there might (should) be some 'welcome' deals for all the former O2/now 3 customers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I'd jump ship, 2gbs of data for what you're paying is criminal, especially if you're moving to the 6. I jumped from VF to 3, four years ago and have never looked back. Their tethering policy is an issue but I've never come across anyone being penalized for ignoring it, if you get my drift?

Type 17 wrote: »
    I don't think that I'd leave O2 for 3 just now, as you'll be signing into a new contract with 3, but in the new year, O2 and 3 will become all one network, so there might (should) be some 'welcome' deals for all the former O2/now 3 customers...

Do you know this, or are you guessing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

iniall wrote: »
    Do you know this, or are you guessing?

The name change/network merge is happening for sure (the O2 brand belongs to Telefonica, so 3 have to stop using it, and they have already started the changeover, in renaming the O2 as the 3Arena), but I have no idea whether there will actually be any welcome deals for former O2 customers in the new year, but I'd like to think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Potus

Hi. For what its worth, i was also with O2 and i could no longer put up with the plans they were offering. I had to buy a data add-on on top of what they were offering, and after VAT my monthly bill came in at €52. A smartphone is designed to pretty much be online most of the time, and with news sites, youtube twitter etc etc the data packages wouldn't last me 1 week without the data add-on. So i shopped around and when my contract was up with O2, I switched to Tesco Mobile. Now here's the killer, tesco use the O2 network. So for €25 a month (no contract either) i get pretty much unlimited texts and calls to all lines as well as 15 GB of data, and i can thether as well at no extra cost. The network is pretty much as it was when i was with O2, and it is working fine for me. Might be worth considering before you sign up to a provider. Take a look at the website for the packages, i really don't think they can be beaten for value. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Potus wrote: »
    Hi. For what its worth, i was also with O2 and i could no longer put up with the plans they were offering. I had to buy a data add-on on top of what they were offering, and after VAT my monthly bill came in at €52. A smartphone is designed to pretty much be online most of the time, and with news sites, youtube twitter etc etc the data packages wouldn't last me 1 week without the data add-on. So i shopped around and when my contract was up with O2, I switched to Tesco Mobile. Now here's the killer, tesco use the O2 network. So for €25 a month (no contract either) i get pretty much unlimited texts and calls to all lines as well as 15 GB of data, and i can thether as well at no extra cost. The network is pretty much as it was when i was with O2, and it is working fine for me. Might be worth considering before you sign up to a provider. Take a look at the website for the packages, i really don't think they can be beaten for value. Hope that helps.

Excellent advice here. Plus Trscos international call charger are extremely cheap. USA for€0.02 p/m

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Potus

Excellent advice here. Plus Trscos international call charger are extremely cheap. USA for€0.02 p/m

Forgot about the international call rates. Have used them to ring the U.S. and it's great value. All in all I couldn't ask for a better deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Potus wrote: »
    Forgot about the international call rates. Have used them to ring the U.S. and it's great value. All in all I couldn't ask for a better deal.

Yep. Talk for hours for a tenner.;)

• Advertisement

What about unlocking? Are Three as good as O2 when it comes to unlocking phones?
    (I'm still debating switching, alas...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

iniall wrote: »
    What about unlocking? Are Three as good as O2 when it comes to unlocking phones?
    (I'm still debating switching, alas...)

No they are not, with 3 you have to wait until your contract is over to get it unlock.

Isn't there anywhere to get an iPhone 6 on a 12-month contract at a reasonable price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

As for the tethering policy I asked in one of the 3 shops about it and the woman said you're "meant" to do it, but you can.

In a wink wink nudge nudge way, she basically said they never do anything about it.

Plus, Id imagine if your phone isn't running 3 firmware they shouldn't be able to pick it up. And since iPhones are updated by Apple and not through the carrier like Windows Phone, and maybe Android, you should be fine.

I've been with them a while I've never been charged for tethering, that was using network unlocked Lumias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Three won't do anything about tethering I've been able to use it when I was with them for my iPhone a few months ago and I been with them for years pervious to that and it always worked .

It even works in a modem if you wanted to use that for data although it's against their t&c they won't do nothing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP you could buy the Iphone outright from apple.com. Then use 48 mobile network. Its 02 renamed and is €20 for unlimited calls and texts to mobile, 60 mins to landlines and 5 GB of data. 48 dont check your age, so anyone can use them

hfallada wrote: »
    OP you could buy the Iphone outright from apple.com. Then use 48 mobile network. Its 02 renamed and is €20 for unlimited calls and texts to mobile, 60 mins to landlines and 5 GB of data. 48 dont check your age, so anyone can use them

NOW you tell me...! :rolleyes:

Signed up for 3 online yesterday. Phone en route today - impressed!

Advertisement