Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to tighten/replace toilet seat?

• 07-11-2014 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We got our bathroom redone a bit over a year ago and the toilet has one of those soft close toilet seats. The soft close thing stopped working fairly quickly, wasn't really an issue for us though.

However recently the hinges have become very loose too. I can't figure out how to tighten or even replace it though. I saw some videos online that showed people pushing buttons or pushing the hinges together, but mine doesn't have a button or anything.

Will try and post a pic. Does anyone have any ideas of other things we can try? the brand is ECE and the toilet is a fully shrouded one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

See pic below - there don't seem to be any visible screws or anything I can take off, no buttons or anything, no parts that move? Can't do anything with those little holes on the hinges either. Does anyone have any idea how I can take the seat off or at least tighten the hinges?

35a0rd2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

The 2 holes on the hinges are grub screws, you need a small allen key to loosen them.
    Then pull the seat up and away, next you are left with a chrome cover which you need to pry up to reveal a phillips head screw. Tighten these (but don't let the big washer under the screw to turn) and put everything back together again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Before you try what is mentions above....
    Just look underneath the toilet bowl directly below the hinges and grub screws etc..
    You will see a wing nut probably plastic , unscrew it on each side the whole thing will lift off then wash and clean everything, let it dry totally and replace as removed but with a little silicone under the round part of the hinge , tighten all and voila!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

moonshadow wrote:
    Before you try what is mentions above.... Just look underneath the toilet bowl directly below the hinges and grub screws etc.. You will see a wing nut probably plastic , unscrew it on each side the whole thing will lift off then wash and clean everything, let it dry totally and replace as removed but with a little silicone under the round part of the hinge , tighten all and voila!

Thanks - This doesn't work unfortunately as it's a fully shrouded wc, no way of getting there from underneath. :(
    wilser wrote:
    The 2 holes on the hinges are grub screws, you need a small allen key to loosen them. Then pull the seat up and away, next you are left with a chrome cover which you need to pry up to reveal a phillips head screw. Tighten these (but don't let the big washer under the screw to turn) and put everything back together again.

Thanks for your advice, we'd tried to loosen the grub screws before and couldn't get them out. It worked this time though.. but that's as far as we got. The seat is very loose now after all that prying, but still won't come off. Will give it another try tomorrow though. I'm worried about breaking it completely.

Advertisement