Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The amount of misogyny on boards these days is frightening.*Mod instruction in OP*

• 07-11-2014 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Over the past 2 weeks or so, there have been numerous threads where I've read (not necessarily posted in) and threads where I've seen scary amounts of misogyny (No I won't give examples, there's no need to start pointing fingers).

Now before anything else, I'm not saying every man on boards.ie is a dirty misogynist and they should be burnt at the stake! :mad:

It's only a small proportion of people, and that includes women too. What's scary is the amount of normal people who just drop these seemingly innocuous statements, that have such ugliness behind them.

What I want to know is, where are your wives? Your sisters? Your daughters? Your mothers? Your grandmothers? Your nieces? Your best friends?

When you make this statements against women, you're not thinking about them. You're thinking about those "other" women, those "other" women who only want to make trouble. But the reality is, when you make sweeping statements like "women these days pah"* there is no difference between those women and those you know and love.

It scares me that so many people out there have this below the surface dislike (I won't say hate) of women and when you're online and anonymous behind your computers or your phones, you feel its okay to make these statements. Why? Would you say these things in front of the women you love and respect in your life without a hint of embarrassment or guilt?

*Not an actual comment I've come across; just an example

Mod

Making sexist jokes in a thread highlighting an issue with misogyny isn't clever and against the charter. Expect infractions over the next while.

Just because you don't see something, doesn't mean it isn't happening. It is easy to miss things not directed at you.

The jokes stop here, if you want to discuss the issue at hand do so. You can agree or disagree but for God's sake be open minded enough to LISTEN to the people who it affects.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Over the past 2 weeks or so, there have been numerous threads where I've read (not necessarily posted in) and threads where I've seen scary amounts of misogyny (No I won't give examples, there's no need to start pointing fingers).

Now before anything else, I'm not saying every man on boards.ie is a dirty misogynist and they should be burnt at the stake! :mad:

It's only a small proportion of people, and that includes women too. What's scary is the amount of normal people who just drop these seemingly innocuous statements, that have such ugliness behind them.

What I want to know is, where are your wives? Your sisters? Your daughters? Your mothers? Your grandmothers? Your nieces? Your best friends?

When you make this statements against women, you're not thinking about them. You're thinking about those "other" women, those "other" women who only want to make trouble. But the reality is, when you make sweeping statements like "women these days pah"* there is no difference between those women and those you know and love.

It scares me that so many people out there have this below the surface dislike (I won't say hate) of women and when you're online and anonymous behind your computers or your phones, you feel its okay to make these statements. Why? Would you say these things in front of the women you love and respect in your life without a hint of embarrassment or guilt?

Any examples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I've certainly noticed the place getting much nastier lately, it's more than a bit worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

“Misogynist: A man who hates women as much as women hate one another.”

― H.L. Mencken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Where is this taking place and is this another take on gamersgate?

I have not seen this on boards or maybe ive been in the wrong / right threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

It's all very well starting these threads OP but who's making the tea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

What happened when you reported the posts? You did report them, didn't you? I mean it would be pointless to create a thread here now and not report the offending posts? Otherwise people would think you're soapboxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Haven't noticed it in AH, maybe in tGC a bit. Life goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Examples needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Interstellar cellar

Links234 wrote: »
    I've certainly noticed the place getting much nastier lately, it's more than a bit worrying.

You need your head examined if you worry about the content of Internet forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

TheZohan wrote: »
    What happened when you reported the posts? You did report them, didn't you? I mean it would be pointless to create a thread here now and not report the offending posts? Otherwise people would think you're soapboxing.

If I were to report every post I found misogynistic in nature the mods would be inundated and I'd be banned for pestering them. I did report one or two and they were dealt with though.

• Advertisement

You need your head examine if you worry about the content of Internet forums.

Internet forums are not populated by robots though, these are real people with real opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

This is AH so nothing is safe except what the mods say is safe ( bow, grovel, tugs forelock, yes m'lud) but true misogyny is despicable. If there's a deflation of pompous self regarding Beyoncé "run the world" type ****e , good; if there are attacks on the reverse sexism of rabid feminist fundamentalism, good. But hating women because they're women is twisted thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I think you're seeing what you want to see OP.

Valetta wrote: »
    Any examples?

You want me to name and shame people? Why don't you have a look for yourself or maybe just discuss the topic at hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

This reads like one of those vaguely passive-aggressive Facebook statuses. Some kind of detail is needed or this thread is pointless.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Links234 wrote: »

I think people (that is, a nasty minority of them) are getting called out on it more, which leads to them becoming more vocal as they feel their views are being persecuted.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

If I were to report every post I found misogynistic in nature the mods would be inundated and I'd be banned for pestering them. I did report one or two and they were dealt with though.

You wouldn't, you'd be helping the mods. Mods appreciate it when posters report posts that are against the charter.

There's no point in creating a melodramatic thread if you're not willing to report posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

You need your head examine if you worry about the content of Internet forums.

Absolutely, if you get upset over the content of things on the internet you need to reevaluate your priorities.

I doubt you would be banned for reporting a a post you found misogynistic. Although that's not to say the mods will always agree with you.

What you may find misogynistic is not what others may necessarily agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

If you disregard any poster with less than 50 posts has it got any worse?

Also
    Disliking 3rd Wave Feminism ≠ Misogyny

• Advertisement

I've noticed a worrying trend on boards of people insisting that the sky is green. I'm not going to give any examples though.

This reads like one of those vaguely passive-aggressive Facebook statuses. Some kind of detail is needed or this thread is pointless.

It might be another charter I'm getting confused with but I thought you weren't allowed give out about particular posters or threads?

I think some people don't see it because it wouldn't apply to them so they wouldn't notice it as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

You want me to name and shame people? Why don't you have a look for yourself or maybe just discuss the topic at hand?

You brought up.the issue, you could at least give some examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Internet forums are not populated by robots though, these are real people with real opinions.

Still no examples...

People posting opinions on the Internet isn't really something to worry about, for a start people are much more extreme on the Internet than in real life.

Aye that's about the height of it.

smcgiff wrote: »
    Still no examples...

Stop mansplaining.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

the mask of anonymity brings out the cynic in us all

People posting opinions on the Internet isn't really something to worry about, for a start people are much more extreme on the Internet than in real life.

What's that Oscar Wilde quote about a mask ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Historical date , first woman spotted on boards.ie

It might be another charter I'm getting confused with but I thought you weren't allowed give out about particular posters or threads?

You must be - personal abuse is a no-go, but posts are fair game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I've noticed a worrying trend on boards of people insisting that the sky is green. I'm not going to give any examples though.

If you live on Mars it's red

Apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

I am honestly a bit of a mysogynist. Its developed through years of meeting nasty women or being attracted and not getting it in return. I'm just a human and have feelings that have been hurt over and over again by women mostly. I currently see a therapist to help me through my issues.

Also
    Disliking 3rd Wave Feminism ≠ Misogyny

Being very honest, I don't usually look at post counts, but I see what you're getting at.

By third wave you mean like militant man-haters or? Wikipedia wasn't too helpful on the topic :o

I didn't really want to discuss feminism because there's already a thread on that, but I think it's a good thing, the thoughts that without it I wouldn't be sitting here in uni right now is pretty bleak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

I have noticed this in some threads alright and there seems to be repetition in this misogyny:

--Man likes woman
    --Woman does not like man
    --Man gets angry at not being liked by woman
    --Man then kills two women in Hong Kong to exact revenge etc.

• Advertisement

I didn't really want to discuss feminism because there's already a thread on that, but I think it's a good thing, the thoughts that without it I wouldn't be sitting here in uni right now is pretty bleak.
    The early school leavers rate among women aged 18-24 in 2010 was 8.4%, which was much lower than the male rate of 12.6%.
    Women are more likely to have a third-level qualification, with over half (53%) of women aged 25-34 having a third-level qualification compared with nearly four out of ten men (39%) in this age group

Education is one area in Ireland where the gender imbalance is in favour of women, not against.

Source - CSO 2011 report

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Historical date , first woman spotted on boards.ie

Nah, just another 40 year old truck driver typing in his under pants wanting you to think that ( is that misandry? )

Roquentin wrote: »
    I have noticed this in some threads alright and there seems to be repetition in this misogyny:

--Man likes woman
    --Woman does not like man
    --Man gets angry at not being liked by woman
    --Man then kills two women in Hong Kong to exact revenge etc.
    Jesus the Hong Kong cops must be really worried about me ever going over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I reported a post of that nature, however I though mods read every post so if a post was left up it have been thought alright although I found it dubious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

lufties wrote: »
    I am honestly a bit of a mysogynist. Its developed through years of meeting nasty women or being attracted and not getting it in return. I'm just a human and have feelings that have been hurt over and over again by women mostly. I currently see a therapist to help me through my issues.

You don't need to be honest. It's blindingly obvious. You're not the only long-timer like this either and it's really, really bad recently. I'd rather the sandwich jokes than some if the **** posted on Boards.

• Advertisement

smcgiff wrote: »
    Nah, just another 40 year old truck driver typing in his under pants wanting you to think that ( is that misanthropic? )

A little jaded perhaps but not a million miles off some corners of the internet.

Stop mansplaining.

Why?

Why would you say that? I would never have heard of the term mansplaining if people like you didn't spread it around by using it to make fun of the women (with pretty radical views) that do. Why did you bring them into this? Where are these radical feminists? I have honestly never come across a post from one of these "radical feminists" that hasn't been from tumblr or the likes let alone boards.

Mansplaining is a word that I think disrespects men but there you (and people like you) are spreading it around and bringing it into the public sphere. I don't understand it. :confused: If these things are so offensive (which I believe they are) you should try and stifle them as much as possible.

Ah...so this thread is about feminism...why didn't you just say so, feminism isn't a dirty word you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

You don't need to be honest. It's blindingly obvious. You're not the only long-timer like this either and it's really, really bad recently. I'd rather the sandwich jokes than some if the **** posted on Boards.

He said he's getting help for his issues. Don't see the point in attacking him tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Being very honest, I don't usually look at post counts, but I see what you're getting at.

By third wave you mean like militant man-haters or? Wikipedia wasn't too helpful on the topic :o

Really?

You think women would be banned from Third Level in 2014 if it wasn't for feminism?

We're not governed by the Taliban.

Do people actually know what misogyny means?

It is the hatred of women.

TheZohan wrote: »
    Ah...so this thread is about feminism...why didn't you just say so, feminism isn't a dirty word you know.

Because RDM brought it up, why else? What has your back up about my post? Instead of the snarkiness you could explain yourself

Why?

Why would you say that? I would never have heard of the term mansplaining if people like you didn't spread it around by using it to make fun of the women (with pretty radical views) that do. Why did you bring them into this? Where are these radical feminists? I have honestly never come across a post from one of these "radical feminists" that hasn't been from tumblr or the likes let alone boards.

Mansplaining is a word that I think disrespects men but there you (and people like you) are spreading it around and bringing it into the public sphere. I don't understand it. :confused: If these things are so offensive (which I believe they are) you should try and stifle them as much as possible.
    OK now I know you're a bored trucker.

Do people actually know what misogyny means?

It is the hatred of women.

Misogyny (/mɪˈsɒdʒɪni/) is the hatred or dislike of women or girls. Misogyny can be manifested in numerous ways, including sexual discrimination, denigration of women, violence against women, and sexual objectification of women.

OK now I know you're a bored trucker.

Good, I'm glad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement