Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The amount of misogyny on boards these days is frightening.*Mod instruction in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

lufties wrote: »
    the likes angela scanlon makes me misogynistic, so many women are like that these days..pretentious, fake, think they're hilarious..At the back of it all the bull**** they know they can use they're sex appeal/looks to get what they want.

Seriously man! on this thread :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Macavity. wrote: »
    Yes, that is what I said.

Ah well. Life goes on, as someone once said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

It sure does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Ah yeah. Good ol' Tupac.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Being very honest, I don't usually look at post counts, but I see what you're getting at.

By third wave you mean like militant man-haters or? Wikipedia wasn't too helpful on the topic :o

I didn't really want to discuss feminism because there's already a thread on that, but I think it's a good thing, the thoughts that without it I wouldn't be sitting here in uni right now is pretty bleak.

How do you know this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

yes but it was rhetorical, and presumptuous the fact you wont retract it shows what you meant......Im not stupid and dont imply that i am....

youre quite an arrogant and pompous person arent you? i think so

Seriously man! on this thread :eek:

That's the ONLY thing you're going to say to that comment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

there was none of this in Ireland until a former Taoiseach said ..... "That's women for you!"

:D

Macavity. wrote: »
    lol what do you expect him to say, in fairness?

You know as well as I do there would be a very different reaction from you and him if that was written by a woman.

That's the ONLY thing you're going to say to that comment?

Well I meant seriously, providing a perfect example of what the OP is talking about, in the thread the OP is talking about.
    I think its pretty clear I'm not condoning it?

Reported it as sexist generalization now anyway if that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I blame the sexy street harassment thread!
    We where all grand before that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

You know as well as I do there would be a very different reaction from you and him if that was written by a woman.

I wouldn't even comment on it or give it a second thought if I'm honest. Life goes on, as a wise man once said. :pac:

I don't think misogyny is as big a problem in AH as the OP is making out.

Well I meant seriously, providing a perfect example of what the OP is talking about, in the thread the OP is talking about.
    I think its pretty clear I'm not condoning it?

Reported it as sexist generalization now anyway if that helps

Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Jaysus, first gaming got destroyed by this **** and now after hours. And I used to come over here for good lols and smart remarks. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

And by creating this Thread what do you hope to gain, do you think the kitchen is going to clean itself?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Lapin wrote: »
    I reckon all the examples are here lads and lassies ladies.

We got examples! They are
    Difficult to tell as we have no idea what you are talking about. A bit of womansplaining would be nice.
    Ah, misogyny!
    Sure isn't it the new homophobia? Panti will not be happy...

There are also several people using the word "woman" instead of the correct word "womyn" so we can add those to the list.

Actually thats true enough, I would probably react to it if it was, I would like to try and think of myself as an egalitarian but realistically most people (meaning me!) find something that stereotypes or insults something they self-identify as more offensive than something that is equal derogatory to a group they don't identify as even though its equal wrong.
    e.g Yanks and guns VS Drunk Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

BMJD wrote: »
    How about you make me a sandwich before I really do get wound up?
    Well, no need for the OP to look for any examples now so.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

the likes angela scanlon makes me misogynistic, so many women are like that these days..pretentious, fake, think they're hilarious..At the back of it all the bull**** they know they can use they're sex appeal/looks to get what they want.

I don't know who Angela Scanlon is so I can't comment on your assessment of her. I think your description could apply to some men too though - Russell Brand, for example - but the difference here is that I don't take my dislike of one famous person and dislike all men because of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Actually thats true enough, I would probably react to it if it was, I would like to try and think of myself as an egalitarian but realistically most people (meaning me!) find something that stereotypes or insults something they self-identify as more offensive than something that is equal derogatory to a group they don't identify as even though its equal wrong.

Hey, the term Yank is derogatory and I find that offensive! Ya fkcin pr1ck! I think Boards is very anti-Ameircan these days.

Please..PLEASE ask me for examples :)

Kidding, I couldn't give a sh1te..

• Advertisement

I wouldn't even comment on it or give it a second thought if I'm honest. Life goes on, as a wise man once said. :pac:

But you defended him when I suppposedly attacked him?
    I don't think misogyny is as big a problem in AH as the OP is making out.

Depends on your perspective. I don't want to post in here at the moment. I've posted in here for 7 years and I don't think it was ever this bad but it's moved beyond the sandwiches comments now to proper misogyny from some posters. There's only a handful of women in here now and some of the gooduns have left for the reason outlined in the OP. It's not all in our heads. I don't like posting in here as a woman right now so I haven't been.

It's a minority but a minority is enough to turn you off posting because they tend to shout the loudest. I could reel off names here but that's obviously not allowed (attack the post, not the poster). I could wade through threads finding examples but tbh, for what? Boards is where I come to unwind but a handful of posters make that impossible. It's low-level stuff and not outright insulting, so can't be reported or banned a lot of the time.

When most female posters on Boards complain of it, you have to start to wonder. Looks at who thanked the OP.

You can remain willfully ignorant to it all if you want but it doesn't mean it's not true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭ewinslet

In the past I have tried to get discussions going on female masturbation but was immediately shot down. Presumably the mods thought I was some male troll. As a woman, I find it difficult to discuss this issue with other women, so I thought it would be easier under the veil of anonymity. But boards.ie is obviously not the place to discuss it, because the idea that women could possibly masturbate is ABSOLUTELY PREPOSTEROUS...

Now wait for the abuse this comment gets...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

I've noticed a bit of a darkening in tone of the forum alright - and yes, 'anti-feminist' type content seems to be getting pushed much harder now than I've seen before.

I think that because of this and the perception that it is more common, some posts are getting way over-interpreted as being representative of this or borderline misogynistic as well.
    For instance, I'm usually 'in the middle' in gender-based debates - I criticize issues with arguments/sources from both mens rights supporters and feminists alike - but whenever I do this, it's almost like people make a kneejerk assumption that I'm on "the other side" or something (i.e. mild criticism of an argument from a feminist, can get a way-disproportionate reaction - exactly the same when I do this with some mens rights supporters).

I think in general on the Internet right now (across forums, news sites, online communities in general), there is a huge amount of shít-stirring, centered around mens vs women gender issues - it seems to have grown massively lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I have no idea what misogyny means but if it's got nice tits I'm cool with it.

Thanks for being honest. It's refreshing.

I could say the same for me, I suppose. I see AH from the perspective of a woman therefore pick up on this stuff more than a lot of the male posters in here but look at who's thanked the OP and Links' post on the first page. That's pretty much all the regular female posters in here and I know the ones that have left (because of the nastiness) would thank it too.

I like posting on Boards generally but I enjoyed it more in the past. It's become nauseating in the last few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

ewinslet wrote: »
    In the past I have tried to get discussions going on female masturbation but was immediately shot down. Presumably the mods thought I was some male troll. As a woman, I find it difficult to discuss this issue with other women, so I thought it would be easier under the veil of anonymity. But boards.ie is obviously not the place to discuss it, because the idea that women could possibly masturbate is ABSOLUTELY PREPOSTEROUS...

Have talked to lots of girls in real life who had no issue with talking about it in the presence of lads and received no problems for it so not sure why you'd have trouble doing the same in private with only girl friends

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

The vast majority of my posts have been made in Fantasy Football threads. The tone there is always great but every now and again I'll wander into AH. I'm a feminist by all accounts and the older I get, the more I identify with the term.

I have a sense of humour and I have no problem taking a well-intended joke or even a bit of good-humoured slagging of women, or whatever. The fact I feel I need to preface this to justify my opinion speaks for itself a little. Anyway, just here to chime in and say I entirely agree with TheBeardedLady. There's been a lot of female-focused threads on Boards lately, and there's certainly an undercurrent of misogyny. I'm not even sure it's intentional--but I've definitely noticed it too.

• Advertisement

I aint noticed anything been any worse then normal but i guess i wouldn't im a man its not aimed at me.

I think a lot of it is people playing up to it more then anything. Its the same when any controversial topic gets mentioned on boards people take the piss for the sake of it.

I don't think there are many men in here who hate women or many women who hate men i think its more people like to just wind each other up and there's certain things that get others going more then most.

There are loads of things i dont like that are constantly posted on here but im sure as hell not leaving cause of them. Im not undermining anyone or any issue by saying its a big site with a lot of topic s just move on. You can avoid a lot of stuff in AH if u want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I don't like posting in here as a woman right now so I haven't been.

Of your 700 odd posts, 600+ of them have been in AH, and you're only back here a month. Doesn't seem like you have an issue posting here tbh.

Id imagine theres a lot of women who post in After Hours who haven't noticed any major issues.

Id be more curious to see what they think seeing as they are women and these views are meant to be aimed at them as well.

Of your 700 odd posts, 600+ of them have been in AH, and you're only back here a month.

2 months, 4 days.
    Doesn't seem like you have an issue posting here tbh.

Oh indeed I do as I already stated. As I said before, I like posting in here but it's unpleasant for a female poster in the last while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I blame the sexy street harassment thread!
    We where all grand before that!

What a great name for a.thread that was though.

Id imagine theres a lot of women who post in After Hours who haven't noticed any major issues.

Id be more curious to see what they think seeing as they are women and these views are meant to be aimed at them as well.

How many women do you think post in here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

2 months, 4 days.

Oh indeed I do as I already stated.

I feel it's inconceivable that you'd be aware of your own feelings. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I hadn't noticed it to be honest. I like girls/women in general. Obviously there are a few I wouldn't be a fan of but that's the same with blokes. I've always gotten on a lot better with women for some reason.

How many women do you think post in here?
    Ive no idea its impossible to tell i mean not everyone mentions there gender threw profile or post.

Theres a lot id imagine.

ewinslet wrote: »

Oh contraire, I would love for you to tell me all about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

2 months, 4 days.

Oh indeed I do as I already stated. As I said before, I like posting in here but it's unpleasant for a female poster in the last while.

Can you link some offensive posts/threads?

• Advertisement

I feel it's inconceivable that you'd be aware of your own feelings. :pac:

Nah I'm just saying I have an issue with the misogyny for the laugh. OBVIOUSLY The Zohan knows how I feel more than I do myself. Sure, what would I know about how I feel.

Can you link some offensive posts threads?

I couldn't be arsed. Do you genuinely believe it'd be hard for me to find examples? Really? Really O'Reilly?

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I have no idea what misogyny means but if it's got nice tits I'm cool with it.

Hahaha ahhh.

I'd also imagine there are lots of women who don't feel the need to disclose their gender, using opening statements like "as a woman"

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

I couldn't be arsed.

That's a very defeatist attitude!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

That therapy not working out for you mate? Perhaps the self administered aversion therapy of constantly exposing yourself to the stimuli of women typing opinions and you building up a good head of general disgust at them is back firing a bit?

That's a very defeatist attitude!

That's the kind o' gal I am.

I'd also imagine there are lots of women who don't feel the need to disclose their gender, using opening statements like "as a woman"

All i know is in nearly every thread i post in on here plenty of women reply and are part of it. There not a dying breed in here and id imagine a lot of them dont have any issues with this forum or the site.

There on here just to get from it what they want to never mind anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

I'm more of a misanthrope myself

We should unite or is that untie

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

Have talked to lots of girls in real life who had no issue with talking about it in the presence of lads and received no problems for it so not sure why you'd have trouble doing the same in private with only girl friends

Not my post that is being responded to here, but I'll hazard a guess: everyone is different?

In any case, with all due respect to ewinslet, is there not a forum better suited than AH to the discussion of female masturbation?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement