Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The amount of misogyny on boards these days is frightening.*Mod instruction in OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Sand wrote: »
    True, but people who make profoundly stupid posts in an attempt to be an internet hero tend to be unable to acknowledge that they've made a profoundly stupid post even when it is pointed out to them. Repeatedly. If they could, they wouldn't be dumb enough to make profoundly stupid posts. Would they?

I have no idea what it is you're trying to say here because it isn't at all clear.

Have another go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I don't know what the thread started as but I'm assuming now the thread is about gender disparity in certain jobs?

I haven't looked at the figures but as a man of science I'll use the opportunity to wish Marie Curie a happy birthday. Historically women have had a bad deal in science. From Marie Curie (only person to win Nobel prize in two fields) to Rosalind Franklin who discovered the structure of DNA (Watson and Crick gave her hardly any credit for her role).

Things are different today luckily and there are many examples of great women in science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Karl Stein wrote: »
    I have no idea what it is you're trying to say here because it isn't at all clear.

Have another go.

I've just noted that pointing it out repeatedly wont actually have an impact. You're acknowledging that you don't understand. The point is made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

is this OP serious ?

by the way I encounter Misandry every day.

The first obvious manifestation of this is the fact that my spell checker refuses to even recognise the word 'Misandry' ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

@Sand and Karl Stein

Jaysus lads give it a rest.

"Your post was stupid"

"Yeah but yours was stupider!!"

Christ almighty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Im not a woman so i cant speak for the gender and how they feel on here but i always get the impression women are very welcome on here. The site wouldn't be the same without the majority of the female posters on here.

I honestly think if there are issues towards women on here there are just as many issues towards other kinds of people as well.

You shouldn't feel like your not welcome just because some people set out to cause trouble on here because there hugely outnumbered.

that's just my personal feeling, other women might feel the opposite. the overwhelming majority of posters here are great, some naturally will have their issues but recently there are so many reregs its ridiculous. the mods as i say do their best but its tiresome to have what could be a good debate taken over by the 'all women are bitches' brigade

the crazy minority ruin it for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Earl Turner

You've proved the OP's point perfectly. Who's this "we" that's doing the judging, the Iona Institute, Youth Defence and your fellow neckbeards?

Maybe the pay gap is a myth when you're comparing the same jobs, but this is a country where a woman has to go abroad for an abortion unless it threatens her life - that distrust of a woman to know what to do with her own body smacks of this "patriarchy" you sneer about. Shave your neckbeard FFS.

Well you've proven my point that woman expect to be able to do as they please and not face any criticism. Men will pass judgement on women, accept it and move on. Happens all the time in the real world. You want a safe space, join an online feminist group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

ptee1 wrote: »
    Good points. The slutshaming point is great. Men who have a preference for women with few partners are seen as having "a problem" by many women.

It's not a great point. There's nothing wrong with a man not wanting to be with a women who has slept with loads of men. That's not slutshaming. Slutshaming is making said woman feel bad for sleeping with loads of men. You not wanting to sleep with her doesn't give you the right to vocalise your opinion of her sexual activities. It's none of your business once you have decided sex won't occur between you and her.

I have just seen the phrase "invalidate my feelings"..........

I dont know who posted that [and I could care less about their gender too] as trying to scroll back 28 pages to read a new thread seems impossible...

My instinct is to reply : ''suck it up cupcake'' . So many first world problems around here;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

. So many first world problems around here;)

Said the straight white man who was just complaining about his misandrist spell checker, lord above.

• Advertisement

Said the straight white man who was just complaining about his misandrist spell checker, lord above.

Did you tell him to check his privilege?

Assuming you are female , I was straight until I met you. :pac:

Did you tell him to check his privilege?

Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 _asdfghjkl_

Why hasn't this thread been shut yet?? Complete trainwreck

Why hasn't this thread been shut yet?? Complete trainwreck

you only have 16 posts and I just discovered this thread. ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 40 _asdfghjkl_

you only have 16 posts

Correct
    I just discovered this thread

How is that relevant to what I said though?

Correct

How is that relevant to what I said though?

You dont know the answer to that question ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Honestly, I do not care if you believe me or not, but I'm not gonna traverse through the last few pages of After Hours just to satisfy a few people.

If you don't wanna engage without quotes, that's grand I'm not asking you to.

It's something I've noticed and maybe you haven't, but it doesn't mean it's not there.

I don't feel like I've anything to prove so yous can rail against the lack of proof or not, it makes no odds to me.

Alright which threads in general contain misogyny on AH at the moment?

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    It's not a great point. There's nothing wrong with a man not wanting to be with a women who has slept with loads of men. That's not slutshaming. Slutshaming is making said woman feel bad for sleeping with loads of men. You not wanting to sleep with her doesn't give you the right to vocalise your opinion of her sexual activities. It's none of your business once you have decided sex won't occur between you and her.

If somebody feels bad because someone else holds an opinion, thats really their problem though. Not anyone elses. If a woman is as strong and independent and not in need of a man as she says she is then she shouldnt be affected by a males opinion one way or another. And vice versa.

• Advertisement

RayM wrote: »
    I've definitely noticed it. I wouldn't single out individual posts, because it's more of an 'atmosphere' than anything specific, but I think there is an increasing amount of what I perceive to be subtle (and not-so-subtle) misogyny on Boards (and on the Internet in general). It seems to raise its head whenever anything related to feminism or discrimination against women crops up. To be honest, this thread is a perfect example. The vociferousness of the denial is quite something...

That's not misogyny. This is why threads like this make me immediately suspicious - objecting to feminism doesn't make one a misogynist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I love the way Irish people have adopted yank Identity politics as if we were in some way "white" the same way as American Wasp. Everybody is America, black, brown, yellow or white has more "privilege" and cultural dominance than anyone outside it. So dominant is the US we adopt it's way of thinking.

I love the way Irish people have adopted yank Identity politics as if we were in some way "white" the same way as American Wasp. Everybody is America, black, brown, yellow or white has more "privilege" and cultural dominance than anyone outside it. So dominant is the US we adopt it's way of thinking.

I seriously hope she was taking the piss there. If she was serious then God help us. The rot of this type of thinking, of victim politics has to stop.

If somebody feels bad because someone else holds an opinion, thats really their problem though. Not anyone elses. If a woman is as strong and independent and not in need of a man as she says she is then she shouldnt be affected by a males opinion one way or another. And vice versa.

Again, nothing wrong with holding an opinion. But not every opinion needs to be expressed, ya know? I have loads of thoughts and opinions that I keep to myself, because I have a filter and because they are not all interesting or relevant. Of course, a lot of people think every opinion they have needs to be heard, for some reason.

This thread should have been shunted to politics right off the bat. Or to the ladies lounge if that is still a thing.

This is AH. An OP whining on a Friday night, with no evidence, about misogyny gets a few joky responses and now a late "mod warning" appears with ominous threats of infractions for joking in AH.

I don't see much point to AH if it is going to be policed like a more serious forum.

Again, nothing wrong with holding an opinion. But not every opinion needs to be expressed, ya know? I have loads of thoughts and opinions that I keep to myself, because I have a filter and because they are not all interesting or relevant. Of course, a lot of people think every opinion they have needs to be heard, for some reason.

Oh For ****'s sake. This is an Internet discussion forum. For discussion.

• Advertisement

That's not misogyny. This is why threads like this make me immediately suspicious - objecting to feminism doesn't make one a misogynist.

Of course it doesnt. You can quite easily be an Egalitarian and be morally superior in my opinion.
    Not every woman is a feminist. There are fast growing mens rights MRA movements and women against feminism movements. Websites such as a avoiceformen.com etc. Sane people choose egalitarianism over feminism. Many women are seeing feminism as a man hating movement because to take only one example they only care about male rape of women but completely ignore lesbian rape of women. Lesbian domestic violence is far greater even than the doctored male to female stats which feminists constantly quote in the US. Feminists campaigned successfully in the US to broaden the definition of sexual assault so that basically every interaction between a man and a woman is rape to them. Terms like 'stare rape' are being thrown around which completely disrespects real victims of rape.
    A group of men tried to meet to discuss mens rights , mens health issues, male suicide etc in Toronto and the feminists were outside shouting ''rapists'' , ''rape apologists'' , pulling fire alarms and calling in bomb threats. That type of politics is pure poison and a mental illness.

Oh For ****'s sake. This is an Internet discussion forum. For discussion.

I wasn't talking about internet discussion boards.

I was talking about slutshaming, telling someone you won't sleep with them because you don't approve of their number.

Though actually, I think internet discussion forums would be improved if more people learned how to form a considered opinion rather than just vomiting ill-formed "opinions" all over threads. And if people realised that not all opinions and thoughts need to be expressed. But that would only happen in an ideal world, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

Perhaps an online discussion forum isn't the place for you then.

I dont have an opinion about sluts except that they are eh ... sluts. Do you find an expressed fact shaming to you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'll never understand why people think that adding 'ah shure I was only joking' to anything they say makes it any less hateful and offensive.

I'm a bit of clown and and a stupid eejit a lot of the time and I've probably offended plenty on here, but never intentionally, so when I see some of the comments here I just despair.

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    We should be able to get along and chat about things without it turning into a festival of blame and spite, but that seems to be the way lately. Single mothers, street harassment, kids, sentencing, fathers rights, all these things should be talked about without the level of venom and poison that spills out. We all have problems and perspectives, and we should be all on each others sides, not taking sides.

Not attacking what you're saying, but does it ever occur to you that some men, particularly those born from the mid eighties onwards, have spent so much of their lives observing the many ways in which women have unfair advantages while at the same time having the ideology rammed down their throats that men are the root of all evil while women are always the ones who need to be helped and supported, and that eventually the pent up frustration and bitterness caused by this was bound to reach a breaking point and cause the kinds of vitriolic eruptions you're referencing?

Just my theory, because I know that's why it's such a difficult subject for me to talk about without my blood boiling to a certain degree, and I highly doubt I'm alone in that. I'm of a generation of men which has been told that they wrongly have it all, that they should feel guilty because of that, while at the same time having to observe how discrimination against men is tolerated so endemically in our society. It's not a good combination.

I seriously hope she was taking the piss there. If she was serious then God help us. The rot of this type of thinking, of victim politics has to stop.

It's just my opinion, and you know:

Yes and within the context of living in America, a white person is usually at a measurable advantage over someone who is not white, all other things being equal. A black Irish person gets a better deal than a white Chechen, but they're going to put up with sh1t that their white peers never have to.

Perhaps an online discussion forum isn't the place for you then.

Guess not! Don't really get why internet discussion forums should be held to an "anything goes" standard. Though in fairness, a lot of forums on boards.ie do have a high standards. Not AH though really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭JasperGeorge.

I'll never understand why people think that adding 'ah shure I was only joking' to anything they say makes it any less hateful and offensive.

I'm a bit of clown and and a stupid eejit a lot of the time and I've probably offended plenty on here, but never intentionally, so when I see some of the comments here I just despair.

That's the difference you see the willingness to consider your behavior after generally indicates it's intentional. I think what the OP is referring to is posters who deliberately go out of their way to do it and even rub people up the wrong way purposely.

The trouble is there is no sense in berating these people they don't care and will do it again they usually don't stand by what they have said either. They will often simply re reg re reg reg reg. Even in the same thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I can't help but feel that those who constantly dismiss or belittle all accusations of misogyny, yet display hypersensitivity to perceived "misandry" (a term that my spell checker doesn't seem to recognise - it's almost as though it's not an actual thing, LOL) are most definitely not motivated by egalitarianism.

I dont have an opinion about sluts except that they are eh ... sluts. Do you find an expressed fact shaming to you ?

Why personalise it? Obviously, I'm speaking generally.

I'm simply saying, you don't need to sleep with someone who has had loads of sexual partners if it puts you off. Nothing wrong with that. But they really don't need to know your reasons. And it's not your place to vocally judge them. Or your right. Judge them all you want in your head. Have a party in your brain with your opinions! It's your thoughts and brains and feelings and nobody is going to send the thought police out to you. But not everyone needs to know every thought or opinion swirling around your head or my head or anyone's head, especially if it's a sanctimonious thought.

Guess not! Don't really get why internet discussion forums should be held to an "anything goes" standard. Though in fairness, a lot of forums on boards.ie do have a high standards. Not AH though really.

So basically they should be censored so your feelings don't get hurt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

That's the difference you see the willingness to consider your behavior after generally indicates it's intentional. I think what the OP is referring to is posters who deliberately go out of their way to do it and even rub people up the wrong way purposely.

The trouble is there is no sense in berating these people they don't care and will do it again they usually don't stand by what they have said either. They will often simply re reg re reg reg reg. Even in the same thread.

Yeah, I know what they're doing (you can even see it on this page, never mind the thread), I just don't understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭JasperGeorge.

Well it it wouldn't matter they just re reg.

RayM wrote: »
    I can't help but feel that those who constantly dismiss or belittle all accusations of misogyny, yet display hypersensitivity to perceived "misandry" (a term that my spell checker doesn't seem to recognise - it's almost as though it's not an actual thing, LOL) are most definitely not motivated by egalitarianism.

So are you saying that anti-feminism = misogyny? Deeply flawed argument in my view. Feminism is about more than just equality - I'm 100% in favour of gender equality (I advocate a gender blind society) but Feminism comes with a lot of other BS tacked on to it, like banning songs, magazines, etc which feminists find objectionable for one reason or another - I object so wholeheartedly to this that I refuse to associate myself with a movement which tolerates such ideologies within itself.

I am not, however, a misogynist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Is this the latest Hipster food fad?, never tried Hungarian, sounds interesting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Is that not the point?

Don't really get why internet discussion forums should be held to an "anything goes" standard.

Why shouldn't they be? If that kind of forum isn't your thing, you don't have to use it.

Why personalise it? Obviously, I'm speaking generally.

I'm simply saying, you don't need to sleep with someone who has had loads of sexual partners if it puts you off. Nothing wrong with that. But they really don't need to know your reasons. And it's not your place to vocally judge them. Or your right. Judge them all you want in your head.

whats being personalised ? Not by me. If someone I am dating is promiscuous not just with me I would rather I knew. Feminist women go on 'slut walks' yet complain about being objectified at the same time. The they go home and drool over the diet coke advert and calendars of firefighters with their shirts off. The world is a funny place.

Lots of forums on boards.ie are held to high posting standards. Do you consider that censorship?

Actually, lulz, saw your first post in this thread. :pac: Shan't be conversing with you on this thread anymore. Bye bye bye bye bye.

Why shouldn't they be? If that kind of forum isn't your thing, you don't have to use it.

No shít!

Lots of forums on boards.ie are held to high posting standards. Do you consider that censorship?

Personally I do, the amount of legitimate discussion which gets stifled here because "it's getting out of hand" is in my view ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

efb wrote: »
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

Dude, you're on an internet chat forum. Not the Council of the United f*cking Nations.

Actually, lulz, saw your first post in this thread. :pac: Shan't be conversing with you on this thread anymore. Bye bye bye bye bye.

That's ok. I hope some day we find a cure for special snowflake syndrome.

• Advertisement

Personally I do, the amount of legitimate discussion which gets stifled here because "it's getting out of hand" is in my view ridiculous.

You are right. I dont find censorship very progressive at all. In fact I find it brings us back to the dark days when the church was in power. Same totalitarianism just a different name and a different set of privileged classes. There should be a place for all types of forums. If someone wants different rules they can choose to avoid ones without those rules but wholesale censorship of legitimate opinions is ridiculous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement