Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,768 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I quite like the Overwatch shorts. But yeah, it's a pity they don't integrate them and the comics into the game (have them viewable from a menu whenever released or something). They give context to a lot of the character interactions and dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Got pissed off today, a guy wouldn swap off of symm on illios, also had a junk, said **** it at 1-0 down, went as widow cos **** it, can sometimes carry one, not 2, ended up going 22-4 and we won the whole thing....cue everyone laughing in our junk trash team

You sound awful. You apparently berated someone for playing Symmetra on a control map, where she is great, and then played Widow, who is very very rarely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I've gone back to Quick Play. Too much whining in Competitive. Having fun with characters I've not used much before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Zillah wrote: »
    You sound awful. You apparently berated someone for playing Symmetra on a control map, where she is great, and then played Widow, who is very very rarely worth it.

Yeah I did, Illios is a terrible map for symm one of the very few i find

• Advertisement

Depends on which Illios. The little house loaded with turrets is a nightmare. Always a risk picking her as to weather you get her in and set up in time, alright but I wouldn't rule it out as a straight no.

The well area, three turrets in each side room, on Pc might be ok. Not on console.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Grayditch wrote: »
    Depends on which Illios. The little house loaded with turrets is a nightmare. Always a risk picking her as to weather you get her in and set up in time, alright but I wouldn't rule it out as a straight no.

The well area, three turrets in each side room, on Pc might be ok. Not on console.

Well

I couldn't pull that one off anyway, I'd be steering clear of it. Decent spots for a teleporter, I think though. Still wouldn't, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Grayditch wrote:

Why not on console?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

A Neurotic wrote:
    Why not on console?

W3 r t2 dumBz0rzZ

• Advertisement

The turrets are still 30% less powerful on console I think, so splitting them up into two sets of 3 doesn't really cut it. I used to like doing that, but since the nerf they're not good that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I've just logged on for the first time in a while and my stats seem to have reset. I was getting personal bests for every character I've played even for poor games. The time played is definitely way off too. Playing on ps4. Has this happened anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Had the saltiest day I've ever had with this game.

Playing comp where I'd be the solo healer to a terribly composed team e.g. Widow, Hanzo, Soldier, Genji, Junkrat. At one point the player playing Junkrat called for tanks and healers on mic but didn't switch himself.

Later game with an entirely different group featured a similarly crap composition, with the added bonus of a Tjorbjorn on attack on Anubis.

Just f*cking terrible. An entire day of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Had a game with a low level character called "DPSMercy" earlier and they played exactly as their name would suggest. They were level 15 or something and they were put into a game with players several hundred levels above them. Is the player-base of the PS4 dwindling that much or is it just weird match-making?

I have been noticing more and more new accounts with Overwatch-related PSN tags like "ToxicHanzo" and "Pro-Genji".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

J. Marston wrote: »
    Had a game with a low level character called "DPSMercy" earlier and they played exactly as their name would suggest. They were level 15 or something and they were put into a game with players several hundred levels above them. Is the player-base of the PS4 dwindling that much or is it just weird match-making?

I have been noticing more and more new accounts with Overwatch-related PSN tags like "ToxicHanzo" and "Pro-Genji".

The term is Battle Mercy.

Were you playing quick play? If so why would you think the players should be split? We all have to start somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

emmetkenny wrote: »
    The term is Battle Mercy.

Were you playing quick play? If so why would you think the players should be split? We all have to start somewhere.

I don't think it, I just assumed it was since that's all I've ever seen in games.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I've just started playing this game.

It seems enjoyable - one thing that I'm unsure about is the length of each round. Sometimes it seems like i am waiting around to actually play as much as i am playing, is this normal?

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    It seems enjoyable - one thing that I'm unsure about is the length of each round. Sometimes it seems like i am waiting around to actually play as much as i am playing, is this normal?

Where and when are you waiting? It's actually known to be an extremely intense game. Waiting for hero choices and the doors to open on attack are probably the only exceptions.

I don't think it, I just assumed it was since that's all I've ever seen in games.

Could have been the luck of the draw. I play with a guy who's close to 600 while I'm 110, I've seen loads of guys less than level 20 in QP games.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Where and when are you waiting? It's actually known to be an extremely intense game. Waiting for hero choices and the doors to open on attack are probably the only exceptions.

I seem to be placed into Skirmishes when searching for games, then i have to wait around for the game to start and when it does start it lasts a very short amount of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,768 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    I seem to be placed into Skirmishes when searching for games, then i have to wait around for the game to start and when it does start it lasts a very short amount of time.

If the actual games are lasting a short amount of time it'd suggest one team is far better than the other. What game mode are you playing and on what console? If you're getting a lot of skirmishes it might suggest you're playing a mode not a lot play and those who do are of a much higher level, that's why if a few of them end up on one team, they just roll over the lesser team and win matches quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Could be smurf accounts?

Start to see a lot more on Xbox now, especially if i'm playing later at night.

You'll be doing quick play and suddenly you're matched a grouped stack of 4/5 all with levels below 30 or so, and they will absolutely stomp you. Like, they may not even be ranked on that account but their SR is clearly tiers above your own. Check their gamer profiles and OW is the only game.
    I'd rarely be matched with anyone without 2 or 3 stars in their portrait, but this has happened a few times. I get nervous now whenever i see more than one person under level 50 together.

Me and a friend have actually messaged one or two of them after just to ask why they do it, but never really gotten a satisfactory response other than "it's fun".

Not sure how to feel about it i guess, if they buy another account they are free to play it how they like.

Could be smurf accounts?

I can concede there must be a certain novelty in being able to stomp your enemy, but surely it wears off rather quickly - but more importantly, how on earth could it be worth another fifty quid or whatever you're paying for a new account?

I can concede there must be a certain novelty in being able to stomp your enemy, but surely it wears off rather quickly - but more importantly, how on earth could it be worth another fifty quid or whatever you're paying for a new account?

On Xbox you just set up a new GT and you can play away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Modern Warfare 2, hacked accounts. Getting killed in your spawn by a shotgun. People enjoy this stuff, I could never understand why. People are jerks!

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Modern Warfare 2, hacked accounts. Getting killed in your spawn by a shotgun. People enjoy this stuff, I could never understand why. People are jerks!

Some people are just jerks.

Did anyone watch IDDQD's overwatch stream, think it was called Project Lul, where had a bronze SR account and the idea was to see how quickly he could get it to masters?

I watched an hour or so, he'd play bizarre stuff like Tracer melee-only, or Roadhog but only doing 360 hooks, and he'd still carry his team.
    Seems like he cancelled the project after a day or so, said he received some valid criticism from the community which is fair enough.

While it was very entertaining to watch it wasn't far off bullying, especially when he played a hit scan character. I know i haven't enjoyed any comp match where i've been severely outclassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I can see 2 real reasons for smurf accounts - first being obviously to just stomp low elo for the lulz and troll everyone. That's either a very specific type of person or someone who's just got so tilted they're trying to let off steam. The other reason is trying to actually get better with your off-role picks.

Like if I'm a DPS main and want to move towards being a more flex player - I'll want to improve my tanks and support roles (imma just pretend none of the defense characters even exist), but I won't want to massively drop in ELO for trying to get better. Answer = smurf account where I only play tank/supp. And then if I eventually hit the same ELO on the smurf as the main account, you could consider yourself good enough at tank/support then to play them on your main account at that ELO anyway.

You might be thinking - why can't someone do that in quick play? Well, they "can"...but not really. I know they made a lot of changes to make QP resemble more of what ranked is, but at the end of the day it is still quick play where people go to have fun and not be serious about the game. There's even less coordination, more troll picks, no comms... it's essentially low bronze. So in no way is it a good testing ground for trying to get better and then relaying that skill back to ranked play. At least if you're smurfing in ranked playing off-role, you can somewhat rely on there being a proper team composition, counter picks, a somewhat competitive attitude and maybe if you're lucky - actual communication.

The reason IDDQD cancelled it was stating that he's not an entertainer as a streamer - he's on a professional team and has to be held up to a particular standard as a "pillar of the community" sort of thing, and basically it's the kind of thing that entertainer streams (Nightblue3 1000AP 1-shot xxx in LoL, etc) get away with because it's expected. It's not the kind of trolling you expect from a pro at the game where you're watching their stream for top tier game play and it makes the team and the professional scene look bad. IMO I'd say it was a decision from the higher powers to shut it down rather than growing a conscience after the community feedback.

The other reason is trying to actually get better with your off-role picks.

That checks out i guess, just never been serious enough a game to warrant a second account.

And yeah have to admit that Comp is a different beast; different level of focus and a higher chance that everyone playing has an "I want to win this match" attitude.

Thanks for the IDDQD explanation - i had only heard a few bits and pieces, only really started to watch Twitch recently.

Any idea what his story is anyway? I know he's still on the FNATIC roster though not playing, is he likely headed elsewhere soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

That checks out i guess, just never been serious enough a game to warrant a second account.

Well actually there is a 3rd type of smurf I forgot about - the one who's just doing it to play with friends he can't actually queue with because they suck/are low ELO.

Admittedly it's a lot less likely to happen with the price of OW, but it's common enough with like CSGO where the price regularly drops to €5 during sales.

Thanks for the IDDQD explanation - i had only heard a few bits and pieces, only really started to watch Twitch recently.

Any idea what his story is anyway? I know he's still on the FNATIC roster though not playing, is he likely headed elsewhere soon?

This is the best I can come up with for that

https://www.over.gg/2617/hafficool-officially-signs-for-fnatic
    In October 2016, Fnatic decided to remove their McCree star iddqd from the active roster, replacing him with a rising talent from European team NWA, Hafficool. After almost three months on trial with Fnatic, Hafficool has now signed his contract with the top North American side and become a permanent fixture.

Hafficool has played at two LANs for Fnatic as an unsalaried trial player, helping the team place in the semifinals of both DreamHack Winter and MLG Vegas....

The contract and his permanent position in the team was formalised just before Fnatic flew out to Korea this week.

Regarding why IDDQD hasn't actually played for anyone else - he's still under contract to FNC. General talk seems to suggest he was benched for attitude issues rather than performance but who knows...

There's more here: https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2017-01-12-around-the-watch-episode-1

Where the rumormill seems to suggest he's bound by a 1 year contract with a buyout clause. While the buyout is only 15k which in some eSport scenes is nothing, it's quite a significant amount of money in the OW scene at the minute, just because its still developing and salaries, prize money, etc are all still quite low.

This was posted by Reinforce (Misfits) on reddit a while back
    [–]Re1nForce 4 points 5 months ago
    Players who play for organisations gets a monthly salary, all depending on how good they are, and then players usually take a majority of the prize pool and the org takes a cut. Sometimes this can be 50% and sometimes 0%, all varies from contract to contract. But so far in Overwatch monthly salary is where people make most of their money, streaming works out for some.

With tournament prize pools being ~$100,000 with 50k going to the winner, split 6 ways... it's only ~$8k each for a tournament win. Again, rumors suggest player salaries are something like $2k a month (gaming house accom provided, etc). So you can see why $15k is quite a stretch for a buy-out for one player.

Apparently he did mention something on stream about a week ago about being back playing on a team sooner than people expected - perhaps there's a release clause in the contract stipulating once they had signed a replacement he was free from buyout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Did they get rid of the easy rank up amounts of XP when you hit an increment of 100 rank?
    So before if you hit 201, it would be super quick ranking up to ~215
    It would be as quick as when you 1st play the game and go up ~20 ranks
    Cause i'm 199 now, and was hoping for easy loot boxes from this Chinese event
    emmetkenny wrote: »
    On Xbox you just set up a new GT and you can play away.

You need X-Box Live or PS Plus too for that new account though right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement