Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

My copy was delivered today. It's sat there, mocking me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

My copy was delivered today. It's sat there, mocking me.

Mine is waiting in the Parcel Motel, gonna do some training till the servers go live.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Where did you guys order from? Good time to get really knowledgeable about all the players abilities, I guess. There was lots I didn't know had an alternative fire on their gun.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Where did you guys order from? Good time to get really knowledgeable about all the players abilities, I guess. There was lots I didn't know had an alternative fire on their gun.

The Game Collection, they ship the games on a Friday and if you use Parcel Motel you will usually get it the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Annoying that they won't even let ya play offline till Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AlexjReilly

My copy also arrived from Game Collection couldn't recommend highly enough.

I think Mei is my favourite character.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The Korean pro teams are already picking this game up, it's even getting broadcasted on OGN here (OGN is a TV station for gaming)...they have a youtube channel of course.

Here you can see a showmatch between 2 of the pro teams.
    It's obviously in Korean, but watching it you might be able to pick up some tips/hints or good locations etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

SeantheMan wrote: »
    The Korean pro teams are already picking this game up, it's even getting broadcasted on OGN here (OGN is a TV station for gaming)...they have a youtube channel of course.

Here you can see a showmatch between 2 of the pro teams.
    It's obviously in Korean, but watching it you might be able to pick up some tips/hints or good locations etc.

Not sure if it's the game or the hyper-active camera switching, but I found that unwatchable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Its not the game its the cameras used to cover competitive pro gaming, does nothing for the game.

• Advertisement

They expect it to work as an e-Sport, but I don't see how as it doesn't lend itself to anything except inducing fits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

SeantheMan wrote: »
    They expect it to work as an e-Sport, but I don't see how as it doesn't lend itself to anything except inducing fits.
    CS:GO works as an e-sport so I'm sure they can make this work as well esp. taking into account they already have 3 games as e-sport (HS, HoS and SC); it's all going to come down to presentation (which the Korean version failed horribly at for a western audience).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I watched last week's Co-Optional Podcast only yesterday and they had a good discussion about Overwatch as an eSport (Geoff iNControl Robinson was the guest - he's a pro Starcraft player). They drew the comparisons with CS:GO as it's the closest and biggest equivalent game out already. The hosts agreed that the nature of Overwatch means a direct translation of how they do it in CS:GO might not quite work for Overwatch. Things like the health being in the player silhouette and grenade tracers etc. It's new ground for Blizzard in that they're entering a genre that's massively over-saturated and that they're not coming in as the automatic leaders like they have been with SC2 or Hearthstone - just look at Heroes as a further example. It's by no means a bad game, but is most assuredly not making any significant dent on LoL or DotA2.

There is a 11 gig day one patch for the PS4, you cannot get into the game till you have it downloaded.

It is actually about 3.4 gig, not sure why it says 11.2 gig when you go to start the game first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

*rocks* it's almost time...... It's almost time...... It's almost time....

Actually, I'm slightly torn about the release. I started playing csgo and have slowly started to gitgud. I hope playing this doesn't set me back.

Nody wrote: »
    CS:GO works as an e-sport so I'm sure they can make this work as well esp. taking into account they already have 3 games as e-sport (HS, HoS and SC); it's all going to come down to presentation (which the Korean version failed horribly at for a western audience).

CS has been out a long time and the maps are well known.
    All classes basically have the same function and abilities, so in terms of camera-work and spectating it's quite easy.
    The commentators will also know everything to say already.

With this game and the varied amount of characters, the camera is constantly switching, and on certain characters ULTS will be going all over the place.
    It will be quite hard to follow I imagine as a spectator.
    A lot will come down to the camera work and the commentators trying to keep up with all the abilities etc being used.

In CS when you die your dead, so games can after be 3v2 etc quite quickly, which allows the commentators time to talk and the camera can focus on the action easily.

Here you have 6v6 with multiple character types constantly respawning, some flying around the maps, others teleporting etc

So after all the waiting I get 2 games in then repeated disconnects. Check forums, lots of people complaining about same. Oh well... Will try again later.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

So after all the waiting I get 2 games in then repeated disconnects. Check forums, lots of people complaining about same. Oh well... Will try again later.

Just after finishing up playing since about 01:00. No problems and no disconnects. I'm playing on PC.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's high noon time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Links234 wrote: »

They said they would be in the game but only for cosmetic items you can earn in game anyway, that's fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

So is it good? Ordered on PC this morning so it should be ready for me when I get home.

Cina wrote: »
    So is it good? Ordered on PC this morning so it should be ready for me when I get home.

It's like crack cocaine good. Can't vouch for longevity but play with mates and it's a ball.

Been playing the last two hours after work, nearly every other game either is waiting for players or goes to a new stage as too many players leave, a bit disappointing so far, it did not happen with the beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

How is everyone finding playing with randoms? I really want to get this after putting in time with the beta and enjoying it, but felt the longevity of the game might be hurt for me as none of my friends on PS4 are planning on picking it up, and more often than not in the beta randoms just ignored the objective.

goon_magee wrote: »
    How is everyone finding playing with randoms? I really want to get this after putting in time with the beta and enjoying it, but felt the longevity of the game might be hurt for me as none of my friends on PS4 are planning on picking it up, and more often than not in the beta randoms just ignored the objective.

Well I played about 15 hours of it during the beta with randomers and it was some of the best multiplayer experience I have had in a game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Nice, guess I just got unlucky. Don't get me wrong, I had some great groups as well in the beta, a lot were terrible though, I suppose thats always the risk with matchmaking though! Think I'll take the plunge anyway and pick it up tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Can you set up your own 6 person team or are you forced to play with random players?

Icaras wrote: »
    Can you set up your own 6 person team or are you forced to play with random players?

You can create a party with friends and play together. Not sure if you can organise a full match of 12 mates though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Benzino wrote: »
    Icaras wrote: »

You can create a party with friends and play together. Not sure if you can organise a full match of 12 mates though.
    I dont think I've 12 mates :(, although a 12 man group of random teams would be great fun.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement