Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch - Blizzard's latest game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

:pac:

The Soldier one is brilliant

Seeing it on PS4 loads too. Thing is, it's all about if they succeed in getting a few picks right out of the gate. If you drop em fast, it leaves the remaining 4 in a very bad postition

The match on Dorado last night case in point.How long did it take them to to actually get in a position to move the payload?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

The match on Dorado last night case in point.How long did it take them to to actually get in a position to move the payload?

When we were hammering them at the door as was that a different game?

When we were hammering them at the door as was that a different game?

Yeah exactly. At the door at the very start.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The Soldier one is brilliant

"All that stuff they pumped into me has to be good for something."

Lost it at that :D.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    "All that stuff they pumped into me has to be good for something."

Lost it at that :D.

"It gets better with age"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

I've had this happen to me too on PS4 when playing with newish players

No need to thank me. I'm just glad to be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

When not playing competitive do people play quickplay or free play in arcade mode for the extra loot boxes for every 3 wins?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    When not playing competitive do people play quickplay or free play in arcade mode for the extra loot boxes for every 3 wins?
    Arcade mode to get the three loot boxes every week at minimum; usually 6 v 6 random simply because it forces me to learn more heroes without feeling like a complete a-hole for not playing my best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I tend to default to Arcade mode now, mostly mystery heroes so I get a bit more experience with different heroes.

Still can't use McCree for the life of me though. I hate McCree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,102 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mystery hero or No Limits. Had a game where we had 6 Meis the other night 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Sight808 wrote: »
    Quick question, What is your course of action with the following;

You have team comp of Rein (you) phara, lucio, ana, hog and junkrat. It's a decent composition for defence on a payload map, kings row.

Enemy team has a similar comp apart from the D.va. but their Phara is putting in major work. The junkrat pipes up after we start getting rolled, "that Phara is killing us, we need to do something"

Since we are 2/2/2 I would think one of the dps should switch, maybe even one of the healers to a zen and discord phara as she's really causing problems. I suggested that the dps switch, they won't.

I eventually switched to winston, not a hard counter but it did ok, eventually forced the enemy phara player to switch, to a reaper.. lost the game 6-1 in extra time.. (.2m from 2nd point and they all ran off the payload to chase a widow)

I don't mind switching but I'm tired of trying to fill the gaps and not play the heroes I want to play, more so in teams that aren't bothering and doing what they want (run off and no regroup, NOT standing on the payload, not standing behind a rein shield).

So what do you lot do in this situation? Do you come off rein to try and sort that problem or again suggest someone else do it (if you are a tank).

Why wasn't the Ana able to shoot down the Pharah? Ana is one of the biggest counters, 3 easy shots. Rinse and repeat until Pharah decides to swap hero because they want to kill themselves. Especially if there's no mercy pocket healing them... ez kill.

Otherwise one of the DPS should have swapped to soldier, probably Pharah - considering both team comps soldier would do better anyway. Aside from that, Roadhog should be able to land a few hooks too on Kings row, it's not like Pharah can just stay back on the later stages of the map and poke
    Also, imho Ana + Lucio is unnecessary.
    Apart from it's not, its one of the best healing and utility combos in the game... Speed boost, AOE healing on both, sleep dart, sound barrier, Nano boost... there's very little that matches the combo of single target + AOE healing and utility tbh. And Ana is essentially another DPS if Lucio is handling the healing side of things fine with AOE.
    OThe problem with Pharah now is that she is practically godlike. Add to this the player not even having to be very skilled and you have an airborne wrecking machine.
    You must be talking about consoles where people can't aim?

Why wasn't the Ana able to shoot down the Pharah? Ana is one of the biggest counters, 3 easy shots. Rinse and repeat until Pharah decides to swap hero because they want to kill themselves. Especially if there's no mercy pocket healing them... ez kill.

Otherwise one of the DPS should have swapped to soldier, probably Pharah - considering both team comps soldier would do better anyway. Aside from that, Roadhog should be able to land a few hooks too on Kings row, it's not like Pharah can just stay back on the later stages of the map and poke

Apart from it's not, its one of the best healing and utility combos in the game... Speed boost, AOE healing on both, sleep dart, sound barrier, Nano boost... there's very little that matches the combo of single target + AOE healing and utility tbh. And Ana is essentially another DPS if Lucio is handling the healing side of things fine with AOE.

You must be talking about consoles where people can't aim?

Pretty much yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Your Pharah should have changed to Soldier or McCree, especially if she was not as good as their Pharah.

If she wouldn't change then the Junkrat should have.

If those two are completely unwilling then I would rather Rein swap to Soldier and ruin Pharah's day than stand there getting pummelled. Winston is not a Pharah counter. He can be slightly annoying at most; I've only ever died to him when I was probably going to die anyway and he managed to get the last hit in.

Ana is not a good Pharah counter because a good Pharah will hit and run, duck in and out of cover, appear from the flanks or from behind, and then boop herself back into cover. Whoever is countering Pharah needs to be watching out for her constantly and ready to jump on her the second she appears; even if you don't kill her you need to drive her back into cover. Ana needs to be concentrating on healing, not watching the skies. Ana can easily shoot down a bad Pharah, but that won't help you if you're against a smart one.

And whoever said Pharah doesn't take skill: she doesn't take skill to reach minimum effectiveness, no. Anyone can stand there and hurl rockets towards the enemy and make a contribution. The skill comes into play when you're against skilled players who are a danger to you. Staying alive, and managing to kill shit anyway is where the skill comes in. Solo-killing supports in two or three hits. Landing long range shots, predicting enemy player behaviour (like, "He should be coming through that door.....now!"), and getting into good positions. That sort of thing.

High skilled Pharah players will ruin your day and laugh at "counters" unless the counters are very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Also, imho Ana + Lucio is unnecessary.

Ana + Lucio is by far the progamer favourite combo right now. Ana has the highest burst healing and Lucio's speed boost is absolutely brilliant.

I play Ana and Soldier a lot but am terrible at countering Pharah. I've reduced my sensitivity for these two (scoped for Ana) hoping this will fix this...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,920 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Any good podcasts for this, or youtuber guides people would recommend - I know I could just search on YT but I'd prefer to get some advise on who I should check out.

I've watched/listened to a lot of Destiny stuff and looking to find some aids for Overwatch play - character advise, play advise, counter advise etc.

Audio stuff would be better (I mainly listen to Destiny stuff rather than watch it - though i've watched shorter guide videos). If there is a TrueVanguard for Overwatch (i know he does play it - but i don't think he has done similar training/guide vids) it would be great!

I play Ana and Soldier a lot but am terrible at countering Pharah. I've reduced my sensitivity for these two (scoped for Ana) hoping this will fix this...

Soldier is the extreme hard counter to Pharah. If your aim is on point, you can take her down real quick. Any Soldier should be constantly on the look out for her, making sure she doesn't flank, forcing her back in to cover if she's trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Any good podcasts for this, or youtuber guides people would recommend - I know I could just search on YT but I'd prefer to get some advise on who I should check out.

I've watched/listened to a lot of Destiny stuff and looking to find some aids for Overwatch play - character advise, play advise, counter advise etc.

Audio stuff would be better (I mainly listen to Destiny stuff rather than watch it - though i've watched shorter guide videos). If there is a TrueVanguard for Overwatch (i know he does play it - but i don't think he has done similar training/guide vids) it would be great!

^

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZmz0RdI6LvX_rRmrlwx0Eg/videos
    Zillah wrote: »
    Ana + Lucio is by far the progamer favourite combo right now. Ana has the highest burst healing and Lucio's speed boost is absolutely brilliant.

I meant in that team composition in that situation given the feedback of that poster.

Not just that they are genrally rubbish. My point being that if Junkrat refused to change and the friendly Pharah was doing a good job, then either Ana or Luci could change to Soldier and also provide some healing himself. 2 Healers is great when things are going well. But when things are going badly, no point just standing the speed boosting a stationary rheinheart as he waits to lose his shield

Y
    And whoever said Pharah doesn't take skill: she doesn't take skill to reach minimum effectiveness, no. Anyone can stand there and hurl rockets towards the enemy and make a contribution. The skill comes into play when you're against skilled players who are a danger to you. Staying alive, and managing to kill shit anyway is where the skill comes in. Solo-killing supports in two or three hits. Landing long range shots, predicting enemy player behaviour (like, "He should be coming through that door.....now!"), and getting into good positions. That sort of thing.

High skilled Pharah players will ruin your day and laugh at "counters" unless the counters are very good too.

That was me man, I meant unskilled players can still be dangerous, and skilled players are in a different world of hurt that they can deliver.

• Advertisement

These two are good

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZmz0RdI6LvX_rRmrlwx0Eg

https://www.youtube.com/user/unitlosttube/videos

Both have video but its usually random play while they talk about something barely related.

Ana is not a good Pharah counter because a good Pharah will hit and run, duck in and out of cover, appear from the flanks or from behind, and then boop herself back into cover.
    On a level skill playingfield - Ana is a good counter. If it's a terrible Ana against a good pharah then yeah, it's not going to work, but Ana has one of the fastest fire rates and its very easy to hit a Pharah not in cover. On a semi-open map like kings row where there's very little opportunity for surprise flank pharah, Ana would be an ideal counter.
    Ana needs to be concentrating on healing, not watching the skies.
    If you don't have a second healer (tank meta) then I'd agree. But when you have Rein, Roadhog & Lucio grouped behind the shield then your tanks should be all staying relatively healthy and have a speed boost to run away if you're playing properly. Ana should be focusing on healing their own Pharah because thats the only one who can't get the AOE healing, so is already watching the skies anyway. It doesn't take much to flick your aim for a few shots tbh. If extra healing is needed on the tanks just throw a biotic 'nade onto them.
    Shoot in short bursts for Solider. After his 4th round a spread pattern starts (similar to recoil in CSGO) and unless you're shooting a big target like Rein or Roadhog, you won't reliably hit headshots and you're going to miss a huge bulk of damage.

I don't even know how you'd attempt to control that with aiming on consoles, must be a joke.
    Soldier is the extreme hard counter to Pharah. If your aim is on point, you can take her down real quick. Any Soldier should be constantly on the look out for her, making sure she doesn't flank, forcing her back in to cover if she's trying.

Unless there's a Pharah/Mercy combo, in which case you can be shooting her all day and you may as well be pissing into the wind. Loads of people get annoyed at S76's for not killing a Pharah but never seem to realise that mercy needs to die first, and nobody helps to do that.

Speaking of all this Pharah counter stuff

I really don't think it's wise (overall) to say a Healer should be responsible for taking care of a highly mobile DPS imho.

Not that people should just stay in nice neat boxes and only stick do one thing but this was 100% Junkrats problem, there's no other way of looking at it. Him refusing to change is why you lost. He refused to change cause he was stubborn/stupid. Dust yourself off and get back out there

Shoot in short bursts for Solider. After his 4th round a spread pattern starts (similar to recoil in CSGO) and unless you're shooting a big target like Rein or Roadhog, you won't reliably hit headshots and you're going to miss a huge bulk of damage.

Unless there's a Pharah/Mercy combo, in which case you can be shooting her all day and you may as well be pissing into the wind. Loads of people get annoyed at S76's for not killing a Pharah but never seem to realise that mercy needs to die first, and nobody helps to do that.

The Pharmercy combo can be dealt with though. As soon as you see that pairing, call it out. Mercy goes down quick.

The Pharmercy combo can be dealt with though. As soon as you see that pairing, call it out. Mercy goes down quick.

This, if some has called this out and Mercy is not being focused down you deserve the loss IMO

I really don't think it's wise (overall) to say a Healer should be responsible for taking care of a highly mobile DPS imho.

Not that people should just stay in nice neat boxes and only stick do one thing but this was 100% Junkrats problem, there's no other way of looking at it. Him refusing to change is why you lost. He refused to change cause he was stubborn/stupid. Dust yourself off and get back out there

You're ignoring the fact that it's also a sniper, not just a healer. And Pharah while hovering is one of the least mobile heroes in the game.

Ana's primary role is healer but if people are already healthy and sitting behind a massive 2000HP shield, you don't just sit there in the corner having a **** while Pharah rains justice from above on your team. You're essentially another DPS, bloody well use it.

I also don't think it's right saying it's 100% Junkrats problem. I mean yes, it's a defence hero and they're all trash and it was a terrible idea picking that anyway. But - their own Pharah was doing nothing. They had 2 healers. There's at least 3 people on the team that could have changed to S76.

It's a team game where everyone has the ability to swap hero at any point - it's never one persons fault entirely. Everyone shares the blame for not changing and picking up the slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,920 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I remember countering pharah quite well with Lucio! Lol.

I remember countering pharah quite well with Lucio! Lol.

Pics or it didn't happen!:)

• Advertisement

I seen it happen. He had gold elims too :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement